Nikon D5200 review

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Is it not the case though, that the d5200 cannot change apertures while in live view mode? And if so, did you find this to be a problem? I read about this being a drawback of video shooting with nikon cameras and it sounded like a real bummer. Having to go out of live view mode and back in constantly, to adjust your exposure...?

Not really since the aperture ring is on the lens with a lot of the Nikon glass. I use the AI/S stuff.

With the modern AF stuff you need to flick it into optical viewfinder mode and change the aperture there, then switch back to live view mode.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its great to know that Nikon has a gem of a dslr that can do great in video, I'm sure like the comment above that this was a possible fluke sadly. To me the GH3 is still a better all around camera, the ergonomics alone is a big plus to me. Battery life, headphone/mic jack, 60fps, lens choice, these are great advantages I like. The low light of the 5200 is great, but I plan to get some lights anyway since in my opinion, controlling light is very important. But its good to see Nikon that has a very competitive camera, anyone with Nikon glass should give it a gander.

2013 is going to be an interesting year for the cheap shooters :)

Nikon is off with a good start. I expect more with the same/similar sensor (D7000 successor).

Sony will have a new 20 megapixelsensor with supposedly better dynamic range. First in the A58 (not so interesting), but probably later in NEX-camera's as well.

Canon definitely has to come with a new sensor. No way they can recycle this ancient 18 megapixel chip again... I'm curious what a new Canon-sensor would bring though. They have too much of their own offerings to protect as well...

Anyway, before buying any aps-c dslr for video, right now I'd wait until all the big players have come up with their new sensor. I'd say first half of 2013 we've seen most of the new chips. Unless you need something right now off course.

Nice to see post-sharpening (PS) being embraced as a viable tool when comparing camera performance, Andrew. As long as no artifacts are surfaced, PS can do a much better job than in-camera methods. By turning off/down in camera sharpening there could also be an advantage in effective noise reduction and edge preservation due to the way DCT quantization works.

While the 5D3 can indeed produce sufficiently sharp images with PS, if the shots aren't perfectly focused with sharp lenses, especially for medium to wide shots, PS can't bring the shot up to a sufficiently sharp level and looks soft compared to other cameras (noise grain can help, but only for brief clips). The 5D2 is a 1.4-1.5K camera (aliasing improves perceived resolution without post-sharpening) and the 5D3 is a 1.6K camera at best with PS: not much room for error and not sufficient for wide shots with far-away objects.

From both a technical and cost standpoint, there's no reason in 2013 for camera manufacturers to not be able to deliver full, true, 1000+ h & v sampling resolution 1920x1080 video cameras with little or no aliasing (oversampled at least 2x in hardware along with a sufficient OLPF). 10-16-bit HDR delivered with H.264/H.265 should be the next product differentiator.

Andrew - these urban nighttime glimpses of Berlin are always cool but I'd love to see a daylight or lit comparison of skin tones. I've always struggled with skin tones on my GH2s and would like to see how the D5200's color science compares to Panasonic's. This alone would steer me towards Nikon as capturing a flattering human image without jumping through hoops is of utmost importance to my work. Thanks - great intro to the camera.

i just bought the gh3 and think the 5200 is dope. its a super cheap second body with different capabilities. it will expand my range.

i had been planning to get a second gh3 for 2 camera interviews, but this new piece seems like the perfect fit - at least for now. meanwhile, the gh3 will make for a great run and gun camera with weather sealing and the 12-35 ois.

H.264 MOV ALL-I 72Mbit 1080/25p.

Could you try another low light comparison but recordin on 50Mbps IPB on the GH3? According to Shian's "Shootout of the End of the World" they encountered that the ALL-I mode was very noisy and the 50Mbps IPB was way better. Haven't searched for other sources on this, but could you check that out? Or at least compare those two recording modes against each other in your upcoming GH3 review?

Interesting comparison Andrew! I'm going to be adding the D5200 as a suggested camera for my clients that want a fantastic image on a budget.

For those of you looking for a good daytime comparison video of the GH3 against the 5d Mark III should check out this video, mute the subtitles to see if you can guess which camera:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qLJ5Oc5adM

Can't wait for your GH3 article Andrew -- I've been waiting to pull the trigger until I found out what the GH2 master has to say!

My prediction is that you'll rate the the BMCC #1 and GH3 #2 as the cameras for indy filmmakers to buy this year!

As an alternative to the BMCC i've been trying to find the cheapest option for Good Detail, Low Light, low Aliaising and Moire and Dynamic Range and it appears that we've found that in the Nikon D5200!  I can't express how happy I was to see the good news about the HDMI output being as good as it is.  That just makes it all the more enticing.

Could you try another low light comparison but recordin on 50Mbps IPB on the GH3? According to Shian's "Shootout of the End of the World" they encountered that the ALL-I mode was very noisy and the 50Mbps IPB was way better. Haven't searched for other sources on this, but could you check that out? Or at least compare those two recording modes against each other in your upcoming GH3 review?

Yes, a few people have noticed that the 50mbps IPB results were better.

Should we expect same color correction possibilities as BlackMagic CC ProRes via HDMI ?

Considering the better sensor we could say that D5200 via HD Shuttle could have quality level between Raw and ProRes  of BlackMagic Cinema Camera?

That would be way beyond any other DSLR, and almost matching BM for a fraction of the cost!

Hi Andrew

I bought a D5200 and it is indeed phenomenal. But recently I discovered that when using it with my Ninja it only receives NTSC signal through HDMI (29.97 or 60i depending on the output setting) even when I have the camera set to PAL.

Does the Hyperdeck shuttle have this issue?

I tried all I could to get a PAL signal to the Ninja but looks like it needs a firmware update by Atomos.

Also what are your picture settings in standard...especially for sharpness?

@charlie_orozco: Yes Shian is correct.  50mbits is better but only in 60P mode.  24P 50mbits mode looks the same as the 24P 72mbit All-I mode.  And "better" meaning more pleasing noise grain, and for me easier to make a noise profile and remove the noise.  I have very good results up until ISO 3200.  Above that and 72mbit is better.

• Administrators

Hi Andrew

I bought a D5200 and it is indeed phenomenal. But recently I discovered that when using it with my Ninja it only receives NTSC signal through HDMI (29.97 or 60i depending on the output setting) even when I have the camera set to PAL.

Does the Hyperdeck shuttle have this issue?

I tried all I could to get a PAL signal to the Ninja but looks like it needs a firmware update by Atomos.

Also what are your picture settings in standard...especially for sharpness?

Same issue for now. 29.97p progressive signal when set to 1080p. Not experimented much with it set to Auto or 1080i yet but the 24/25p seems elusive to me.

Could be a firmware thing on the HyperDeck / Ninja.

Find it strange that the camera, though set to PAL, would output a HDMI signal in NTSC. Maybe it is a firmware bug on the camera or some kind of compatibility issue.

• Administrators

@charlie_orozco: Yes Shian is correct.  50mbits is better but only in 60P mode.  24P 50mbits mode looks the same as the 24P 72mbit All-I mode.  And "better" meaning more pleasing noise grain, and for me easier to make a noise profile and remove the noise.  I have very good results up until ISO 3200.  Above that and 72mbit is better.

I can vouch for that. 1080/60p at 50Mbit is cleaner than the ALL-I 24p mode. It could be that the much higher bitrate on a per frame basis is allowing the codec to store more noise in the original output.

Same issue for now. 29.97p progressive signal when set to 1080p. Not experimented much with it set to Auto or 1080i yet but the 24/25p seems elusive to me.

Could be a firmware thing on the HyperDeck / Ninja.

Find it strange that the camera, though set to PAL, would output a HDMI signal in NTSC. Maybe it is a firmware bug on the camera or some kind of compatibility issue.

It wouldnt suprise me if it was a typical Nikon quirk. Ive emailed Atomos about it at least.

gh3 got smashed right down.  funny thing is, I bet little to no real passion was put into the video mode on the nikon.  I imagine it was pure fluke, and a lack of software crippling.  whereas the gh3 had video given priority by its r+d guys it would seem.  I'm now looking at nikon with a lot more interest.

Agreed on the pure fluke.  I believe Andrew said it best when a new leader has stumbled ass backwards into pole position!

You mention that you cannot use any other lenses with nikon cameras, except its own brand. But, aren't there adapters to connect canon glass to nikon cameras? Just like connecting canon lenses to gh2? 

I have manual aperture lenses, such as the Bower and Rokinon. Both canon mount. I use an adapter to mount them to my gh3. This D5200 looks interesting. I hope lenses do not become an obstacle.