EOS M5

bigfoot

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Be careful judging the camera from these sample videos. You can't just an image from so many close-up shots. The food video looks better because of the close-ups. As soon as you go to infinity with wider lens, the EOS M5 and 80D resolution falls apart with a heap of moire and digitally sharpened softness.

Looks good on the end of a telephoto or a macro lens though.

this one is quite on par with your affirmation, when the focus shift a bit further - resolution seems to take a bit of a drop. 

3 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

this one is quite on par with your affirmation, when the focus shift a bit further - resolution seems to take a bit of a drop. 

I actually liked that video. I like that soft Canon look. The problem, as of now, is there isn't enough samples and the ones that do exist are not that great... especially when you do a search of other cameras... I just found this video from the LX10 which I think looks great... and it's shot on a one inch sensor.

Yep, way too early to judge... and like andrew said, we should never judge any camera by sample on the web, especially not those one. It's all shoot way to quickly by excitement without serious testing. More serious reviews will come in the next month or so. 

I also think that the last one look quite good. Colors are beautiful, Dynamic range looks good, I like the softness too. It seems to hold plenty of infos in the shadow, it could have been underexpose a bit to keep the details on the white car at the back 

• Administrators

You can judge by samples on the web but it depends on how they're shot, the lenses used and the variety of subjects.

Again the last video is almost all close-ups, with a shallow DOF and quite a long lens.

The grade is ok, light and colours decent.

EOS M5's video quality like 80D is a real mixture of times when it looks like acceptable 1080p and times then it just looks terrible and digital. Again... depends on the subject.

A mirrorless enthusiast camera costing over $1000 in 2016 should not still have moire & aliased 1080p, with no 4K option.

That is basically the same issue I had with my G30. It was OK when shooting close up, or at distance in telephoto, such the target object filled the screen, but zooming out beyond a certain point and the lack of resolution turns everything to mush. The G30 uses the same encoder used in the M5 (also 35 mbps), which is why I knew it was probably going to be inadequate by todays standards.

The G30 had a touch screen, focus magnification, zebras and peaking as well, so it is not like any of those things are new for Canon (in fact, most of that, other than the LCD, was on my older 10S as well). Them being on a stills camera now, especially one hyped for its video focusing, all I can say is about frikken time!!

• Administrators
8 hours ago, bigfoot said:

If I had 3200$ laying around - EM1 mk2 and the 12-100 would definitely be part of the kit

It would actually be $1999 + $600 for Speed Booster EF and keep your Canon glass... not such a bad deal.

And you're getting a MUCH better image and camera than the EOS M5 at $1000.

Yes it is still more than twice as expensive but about 5x better.

Alternatively the Panasonic G85 is priced similarly to the EOS M5 but is much better kitted out for video. It also has a fantastic image in 4K.

On 5. 12. 2016 at 7:21 PM, mercer said:

Idk, that's what I originally thought as well, but the bitrate specs are drastically different. The 80D, according to BH, shoots 96mbps in All-I, whereas the M5 only shoots 24mbps at 24p and 35mbps at 60p. 

I think it's a safe bet to assume the video will be somewhere between the GX7 mk ii and the 80D. It basically is an interchangeable lens compact camera with some mirrorless bells and whistles. I found this video from the GX7 mk ii and I would expect better than this... and this isn't bad at all.

Yeah, only IPB compression. It's not looking very promising...

2 hours ago, bamigoreng said:

Yeah, only IPB compression. It's not looking very promising...

Actually, it looks better than I thought, and I am kinda surprised it held up so well at ISO 6400... but I looked at that video on my phone... so...

Either way, it's soft canon video with nice canon colors... it isn't worth a thousand dollars. Next year when I can get one for less than $500, I may give it a try. 

It is very expensive, but everything new is expensive in Europe these days.

a6500 is 1800€ with no adapter. I can see the M5 to go down in price really soon. 

M5 isn't comparable with a dSLR, as the D750 isn't comparable with the G7 (which I saw in another post recently!).

• 2 weeks later...