Thoughts on mobile vs quality

DBounce

Recently, I had the opportunity to play around with the DJI Osmo Mobile. I used it with a Google Pixel XL. I also took some shots with the Canon 1DXMk2. Both cameras have their strengths. But the Canon fitted with the 100-400mm F4 was too big and heavy to fly. Not because the Letus Helix Jr could not manage it, but with that kind of payload the rig is too heavy to reasonably hold for any length of time. The Osmo Mobile, by contrast was refreshingly light. So there is a trade-off of quality vs maneuverability. In the end I decided to just forgo the Helix and hand hold the Canon. Indoors without lighting the smartphone is, well... not great. But I wonder if it can in some circumstances be a better tool to tell a story?

Below are some quick intros to a horror idea that I shot with both. Just having fun. Thoughts welcomed.

Don't Go To Bed.mp4

Don't Go To Bed.png

Scared to Death Cinema.mp4

Scared to death.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, ken said:

No anamorphic lens used, right?

No, I have yet to find one that I can live with size and weight wise. Have been kicking around the idea of the moondog labs 37mm adapter. But that means a bigger beefier gimbal. So for now I'm just letterboxing it. And yes, I know it's not the same thing... Believe me, I know.

But how do you keep it small and light, with single focus, and anamorphic? Better still, how can I keep the brilliant 1DXMk2 DPAF and still do anamorphic? 

14 minutes ago, DBounce said:

No, I have yet to find one that I can live with size and weight wise. Have been kicking around the idea of the moondog labs 37mm adapter. But that means a bigger beefier gimbal. So for now I'm just letterboxing it. And yes, I know it's not the same thing... Believe me, I know.

But how do you keep it small and light, with single focus, and anamorphic? Better still, how can I keep the brilliant 1DXMk2 DPAF and still do anamorphic? 

Yeah I have the moondoglabs one in the 37mm and it does NOT work with my Came TV 32 bit gimbal. Way to heavy to balance it. Bummer. I use it on my iPhone 6s Plus just using the camera stabilization or tripod mount it on my ALM mCAMLITE. It is well worth the money. Cheap thrills.

55 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah I have the moondoglabs one in the 37mm and it does NOT work with my Came TV 32 bit gimbal. Way to heavy to balance it. Bummer. I use it on my iPhone 6s Plus just using the camera stabilization or tripod mount it on my ALM mCAMLITE. It is well worth the money. Cheap thrills.

I wonder if the dual cameras in a smartphone could be combined to create an anamorphic image. That's something I would love to see in a small format.

Still nothing easy for DSLRs. Really a shame. 

7 hours ago, DBounce said:

I wonder if the dual cameras in a smartphone could be combined to create an anamorphic image. That's something I would love to see in a small format.

Still nothing easy for DSLRs. Really a shame. 

Wow, that is food for thought! And you are right, no real good cheap way out on large cameras.