Anamorphic focus assist

solo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Also glad someone's come up with something like that. nice work. I would think there are major side effects to this treatment though. trouble with matteboxes, changing taking lenses, recharging another set of batteries, and more electronics that could possibly malfunction... And what if your anamorphic adapter has a stiffer focus throw than your taking lens - you may have to get them all regreased before being able to use this, Is it possible to make a purely mechanical one that can be user calibrated? anyway again bravo to the makers of that. step in the right direction

Not sure what you mean

I am referring to the Takumar behind the Kowa  as presented in the video - a more effective solution is the Sony E - OSS 1.8/50mm without need for LionsGate.

Job done?  50mm is a great focal length but that's a myopic solution at best.

Regarding a user calibrated single focusing system; in my admittedly poor mechanical mind, I would think each user would have to create three perfectly sized gears which align just right for their set of lenses. Unless you could create gears which can grow and shrink easily (doubt it) so you can modify. I just don't see it happening.

Not sure what you mean

I am referring to the Takumar behind the Kowa  as presented in the video - a more effective solution is the Sony E - OSS 1.8/50mm without need for LionsGate.

Except this is clearly presented as an adaptive solution, not purpose-built for one lens or even one anamorphic adapter.  

Of course a simpler solution, for a single focal length or specific lens could be achieved.  It's an irrelevant fact in the context of this man's creation and not a solution approaching equivalency, at best.  At worst it's a shitty attempt to downplay this guy's work.

Hopefully you're just being irrelevant.

Reported: I have reached a tipping point with the flame bait remarks and foul language consistently directed at me from this member and draw your attention to it

It's an irrelevant fact in the context of this man's creation and not a solution approaching equivalency, at best.  At worst it's a shitty attempt to downplay this guy's work.

Hopefully you're just being irrelevant.

Regarding a user calibrated single focusing system; in my admittedly poor mechanical mind, I would think each user would have to create three perfectly sized gears which align just right for their set of lenses. Unless you could create gears which can grow and shrink easily (doubt it) so you can modify. I just don't see it happening.

No, it is electronic coupling with a computer, that is what he means when he says you must calibrate it. It will work with any lens he can manage to fit it on. 

I have a few ideas for him to make it very easy to change the rear lens quite quickly. If he integrates the anamorphic clamp with the anamorphic support system, ha can then attach the anamorphic parts of his electronics directly to that support instead of to the rails. Once he as done that, the anamorphic and everything related to it attaches to the rails via the support, making it easy to move the whole assembly forward or backward in order to change the "taking" lens.

I'd be up for helping him out a bit. If anyone else is, maybe we should get together and let him know. I have an identical Kowa and would love to buy and/or get instructions for how to build one of these. The Kowa is pretty hard to best quality-wise, and dual-focus is quite frankly the only difficult thing about it (obviously this system solves that problem). I only wonder how noisy it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking for a few weeks now of developing a similar device but purely mechanical.

It'll be two alternately sized gears ganged together on a single shaft to accomodate conflicting focus throws and an offset gearbox to reach the taking lens. Most likely rod mounted. Alternate sized gears for taking lenses would have to be available obviously but 3d printing could facilitate that.

see attached where green represents anamorphic, blue represents taking and purple represents ganged gears to match throws. yellow 1 is idler and 2 is inversion. they would be on an articulating lockable swing away arm.

• 2 months later...

Amazing. I really hope this gets gets refined and made available. How would the Kowa measure

against an iscorama once the dual focus issue is negated?

I personally think the Kowa is actually better glass in most cases. Certainly they are equal. Other than the dual-focus issue, Kowa has more advantages, IMO. The Kowas are all metal and built like a tank. They are 2X and sharp as a tack. They are the widest 2X around (AFAIK), and on top of all that, the flares are very classic. 

Don't get me wrong, those iscos are nice too, but the flare is often clear (or the color of your light), and they're only 1.5X.

I have only used LA7200 and a Kowa B&H, but the Kowa certainly is sharp, the dual focus does slow you down a lot though and increase the rate of error (for me at least). I'd love to switch from the Kowa to isco 36 if it weren't for the $$$ as I'm not really a fan of flares in general and the 2x is a bit too wide for my tastes. Obviously you can crop but then you are losing quality. There is actually a cool article somewhere on eoshd comparing the Kowa to Isco for close focus.