IMac Monitor calibration (need suggestions)

Dimitris Stasinos

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Hello guys! I need your help here. My screen (imac 27 late 2012) is totally off and Yosemite's calibration process seems like a total mess. I am sure many off you have tried all these fancy stuff from x-rite and other companies. Can you suggest me a cost effective calibration tool please?

I had a Spyder Pro, now a X-rite i1Display Pro, used with the free software DisplayCAL. Takes a long time, but is very precise.

Why is Yosemite's calibration process a "total mess"? Missed the old "expert mode"? It appears only if you hold "alt" while clicking in >system preferences >monitors >colors  and there >calibrate.

12 hours ago, Axel said:

I had a Spyder Pro, now a X-rite i1Display Pro, used with the free software DisplayCAL. Takes a long time, but is very precise.

Why is Yosemite's calibration process a "total mess"? Missed the old "expert mode"? It appears only if you hold "alt" while clicking in >system preferences >monitors >colors  and there >calibrate.

Thanks for your feedback! I tried holding alt but doesn't change anything. I did run the process many times and the final result is miles away from any average monitor. I made a custom HDR profile and still when i am using complicated masks in FCPX, i need to see the footage to another monitor to spot imperfections in the shadows. Also there is a big amount of vibrance which i can't get rid off. Thanks for the suggestion, i may go with X-rite afterall.

17 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Hello guys! I need your help here. My screen (imac 27 late 2012) is totally off and Yosemite's calibration process seems like a total mess. I am sure many off you have tried all these fancy stuff from x-rite and other companies. Can you suggest me a cost effective calibration tool please?

I use X-Rite ColorMunki. It seems to work well on my 2015 iMac 27: http://a.co/hQbm2VL

4 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

I tried holding alt but doesn't change anything. I did run the process many times and the final result is miles away from any average monitor.

Process? You seem to have found the expert mode. I used to calibrate my old display that way. Looked good then, looks terrible now. Perhaps because our own expectations are higher after a few years. The whole grading hype educates us to be unhappy with what we've got. I think the built-in monitor calibration never was exactly brilliant.

3 hours ago, Axel said:

Process? You seem to have found the expert mode. I used to calibrate my old display that way. Looked good then, looks terrible now. Perhaps because our own expectations are higher after a few years. The whole grading hype educates us to be unhappy with what we've got. I think the built-in monitor calibration never was exactly brilliant.

I was on the same train... I calibrated my screen 2 years ago and it seemed ok. Until I saw a (paid) work of mine on an average pc monitor and freaked out! All colors where washed out like semi slog2 footage..lol. Nor that the specific pc monitor is a solid reference but THAT difference was huge. Also, i did notice that every time I am calibrating my imac screen the outcome is different. Different ambient lighting , screen brightness and some times the eye fatigue factor makes this process quite subjective...