Corrupted or damaged MTS file

Stab

Hi everyone,

I'm using the Panasonic GH3 and GH4 for our wedding video business, and something has happened that has never happened before. One of my clips has been damaged or became corrupt and is unplayable by any player. It's a 3.75 GB file of the speech of the bride's dad. Luckily, we shoot everything with 2 camera's / videographers so my 2nd videographer saved the day.

But, this is very worrisome as this has never happened before nor do I ever want this to happen again. I use the same cards as I always use, and I format them (full format) on the PC before I go to a wedding. After the full format I also do a quick format with a program called SD-formatter.

Anway, I have shot thousands and thousands of clips this year like this and none of them had any problems. So what could have happened this time? Card getting faulty and in need of replacement? Just something random? 

And is there anything or any program that I can use to recover or repair this file?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Oh I am sorry guys.

I just downloaded the same clip from my online backup storage, and that one worked. So I guess something must have gone wrong with either copying or downloading the clip to this harddisk. Pfew. Guess I can still trust the camera and my cards :)

Topic may be removed. My apologies for the inconvenience.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Though I'm a little bit late (almost 2 years late, that is), and topic starter has already solved his problem, I'll still put my 2 cents in. 

These things happen with old flash cards, so you have to be careful when you use them like too often (wedding video business count in), as it can melt down any moment. And the thing is, it's almost unrestorable - like, you will only be able to restore those 10-20-30% of your data before the crash happened. 

It's different when you have some physical damage done to your camera - this way your files can be recovered, as you have your data stored somewhere on the card, but it's marked as an empty space (this is the reason why you'd better not turn on your camera again if the damage happened - first recover your corrupted media - or this "empty" space will be overwritten, and your video lost forever). You should make an image file and restore it sector-wise - or send it to some good video recovering service, e.g. restore.media. 

Hope this might be helpful to someone with a similar case. Best of luck!

On 11/22/2016 at 7:24 AM, Stab said:

Oh I am sorry guys.

I just downloaded the same clip from my online backup storage, and that one worked. So I guess something must have gone wrong with either copying or downloading the clip to this harddisk. Pfew. Guess I can still trust the camera and my cards :)

Topic may be removed. My apologies for the inconvenience.

No you can't. May I suggest upgrading to a GH5 and use the Dual Record feature, which records the video file to two SD cards simultaneously. If your doing once in a lifetime events, it's worth it to have the assurance that you have a real time backup, because SD cards do fail!

Wow. gh5 users are downright fanatical in the promotion and defense of their cam.  This post is almost 3 years old.  I have to admire their passion, but man out of the 100k views and all the posts about the bm4kbigpocket, seems like at least 25k are from gh5 owners trying to convince themselves their cameras are still going to be worth shooting. 

I would imagine that the GH5 is more appropriate for most people on here than a 4K BMPCC. For me no. But I have all the time in the day to shit around with it. For the money I don't see how you can beat one unless you just have to have FF. Only real turd is low light on it. But there is tons of fast Cine lenses out now.