MacBook Pro Alternative Hackintosh

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ed, so for me, with Apple's products (which I love), last year's model always works just fine for me.

I too had been waiting for the new MBP, but was disappointed in both price and ports. It would be cool if all TV's, hard drives, and peripherals eventually go to Type C, but that's not the case yet. 

So, I just went to Ebay, found a 15" MBP that was purchased in April. Had dual graphics with 2 GB v ram, 512 SSD drive, 16 GB's ram, 2.5 i7 processor, and Apple Care until 2019, $1750 ($1900 with tax). I also have 2 weeks to return if it's not in the tip top that it was described. It should arrive this week.

Good deals can be found if the Hackintosh looks too cumbersome.

1 minute ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I too had been waiting for the new MBP, but was disappointed in both price and ports.

Same.  

I'm wrapping up a big project now and getting ready to sell off the PC gear I built up for it.  

My wife and I are going to live 2017 on the road in an RV, so a laptop is in order.  We were considering a brand new PC or Mac laptop, but have realized that our workflow for post is actually leaning on proxy-editing more than we would have first imagined.  Proxy editing is NOT demanding on a computer.  This reality informs us that buying a used laptop, like you did on eBay, would be more than adequate --and save us thousands of dollars.

(...and if anyone wants to buy a loaded PC for 4K editing in February of 2017, just let me know)

1 minute ago, fuzzynormal said:

Same.  

I'm wrapping up a big project now and getting ready to sell off the PC gear I built up for it.  

My wife and I are going to live 2017 on the road in an RV, so a laptop is in order.  We were considering a brand new PC or Mac laptop, but have realized that our workflow for post is actually leaning on proxy-editing more than we would have first imagined.  Proxy editing is NOT demanding on a computer.  This reality informs us that buying a used laptop, like you did on eBay, would be more than adequate --and save us thousands of dollars.

(...and if anyone wants to buy a loaded PC for 4K editing in February of 2017, just let me know)

Dude! We are full time RVers as well since July. We've got whole fam in this thing and are planning for at least a year, probably more. We did the 1000 trails membership thing. If you have questions about this alt lifestyle let me know. We've learned a lot.

About the MBP, yah. This is one of the last components to my completely mobile lifestyle. Been an absolute pain without it.

4 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Dude! We are full time RVers as well since July.

Ha!  I've been trying in vain to talk my wife into getting a Vixen RV or a Travco, but she's not interested in anything retro at all.  Anyway, we're doing it to help pursue our next project while also visiting midwest family, making our movie while living on the road is the commitment.  

So, what are the top 3 things you learned?

2 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Ha!  I've been trying in vain to talk my wife into getting a Vixen RV or a Travco, but she's not interested in anything retro at all.  Anyway, we're doing it to help pursue our next project while also visiting midwest family, making our movie while living on the road is the commitment.  

So, what are the top 3 things you learned?

1. Go Big! - Normally I'm a less is more guy, but if you're full timing it, go bigger than you think you need. We went big, but if I had to do it over, I'd go even bigger. Space becomes a big deal. You're going to be in each other's space all the time. Good lesson in patience. But more space is good too.
  2. Instant Pot - no not weed. My wife discovered this pressure cooker called the Instant Pot. It's amazing. Reduces cooking time, heat, power, and pots and pans. And it's awesome. Cooks EVERYTHING. And does it perfectly. Seriously. Check it out.
  3. Peerless wireless - we have a Verizon unlimited data plan for $120/month. Again, UNLIMITED VERIZON 4G LTE friggin blazing fast data. You can't get this from Verizon. There are 3rd party vendors for these licenses. 

And... an extra freebie. Check your tires... diligently. They are, literally, your foundation. Less than 24 hours into our first trip directly from the dealer, one of our tires fell off in the middle of New Mexico in the middle of July. It was the dealers fault, and I didn't know better. But now I check my tires. CHECK YOUR TIRES!!!

1 minute ago, Jonesy Jones said:
  1. Go Big! - Normally I'm a less is more guy, but if you're full timing it, go bigger than you think you need. We went big, but if I had to do it over, I'd go even bigger. Space becomes a big deal. You're going to be in each other's space all the time. Good lesson in patience. But more space is good too.
  2. Instant Pot - no not weed. My wife discovered this pressure cooker called the Instant Pot. It's amazing. Reduces cooking time, heat, power, and pots and pans. And it's awesome. Cooks EVERYTHING. And does it perfectly. Seriously. Check it out.
  3. Peerless wireless - we have a Verizon unlimited data plan for $120/month. Again, UNLIMITED VERIZON 4G LTE friggin blazing fast data. You can't get this from Verizon. There are 3rd party vendors for these licenses. 

And... an extra freebie. Check your tires... diligently. They are, literally, your foundation. Less than 24 hours into our first trip directly from the dealer, one of our tires fell off in the middle of New Mexico in the middle of July. It was the dealers fault, and I didn't know better. But now I check my tires. CHECK YOUR TIRES!!!

Oh yeah, appreciate the cooking tip.  Very important.  Thanks!  

Bigger seems like a good bet, but we're hoping to be able to move in and out of residential neighborhoods with this thing while, literally and figuratively, keeping a low profile.  We're closer than most couples insomuch we're around each other non-stop every day.  Seldom do we spend time apart.  Our tolerance for each other is pretty established.

Which, to be honest, I truly don't know how women can handle male hygiene.  For that alone they should be granted sainthood.

How's that Verizon coverage out in the boonies?

15 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Oh yeah, appreciate the cooking tip.  Very important.  Thanks!  

Bigger seems like a good bet, but we're hoping to be able to move in and out of residential neighborhoods with this thing while, literally and figuratively, keeping a low profile.  We're closer than most couples insomuch we're around each other non-stop every day.  Seldom do we spend time apart.  Our tolerance for each other is pretty established.

Which, to be honest, I truly don't know how women can handle male hygiene.  For that alone they should be granted sainthood.

How's that Verizon coverage out in the boonies?

So far I've only found 1 place that isn't Kosher with Verizon data, and unfortunately it's where we spend most of our time. Our campground is in the middle of a deader than dead zone. Walk up a small hill and you've got 2-4 bars. Other than that, we've been in the middle of nowhere Texas, New Mexico, Ramona, Julian... all strong connection. 

With that said, I may be looking into satellite or something else because where we're at most of the time it's just super inconvenient. But if we were on the move a lot, the Verizon deal would be a no brainer. 

14 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

So far I've only found 1 place that isn't Kosher with Verizon data, and unfortunately it's where we spend most of our time. Our campground is in the middle of a deader than dead zone. Walk up a small hill and you've got 2-4 bars. Other than that, we've been in the middle of nowhere Texas, New Mexico, Ramona, Julian... all strong connection. 

With that said, I may be looking into satellite or something else because where we're at most of the time it's just super inconvenient. But if we were on the move a lot, the Verizon deal would be a no brainer. 

I think I've reached the point in my life where getting disconnected is an asset rather than a liability, so maybe worrying about connectivity should be low on my priority list!

Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Ed_David said:

So the new 2016 Macbook Pro is released - and it's a little disappointing.  Well expensive.  

Can anyone recommend a hackintosh that's easy to set up and has similar specs to its high end $3000 model?

Ed if you want to get a new laptop for video editing, I suggest you bite the bullet and either spend the extra cash for the new MBP if you really want the mac experience or you use FCPX, or use Windows. Hackintosh on laptops rarely works well and at the end you will have a worse experience than switching to new OS altogether.

If you are using Premiere/Resolve then you would not notice that many changes. Native proxies work on all programs now, so fluidity of editing should be the same. 

Windows laptops that offer similar build quality/aesthetics with better specs than the MBP:

1. XPS 15 / Precision 5510

2. Razer blade / Razer blade Pro 

The problem is I need to encode to pro res for dailies for people.  And I need serious gfx power.  I think either get the souped up MBP or a lesser model with thunderbolt 3 and also carry a eGPU for resolve.  Just have to see if it works.  May just be worth it to spend a ton and get the internal 4 gb gfx card.

Thanks guys for this.  

I have a DIT friend who says the xps 13 is easy to hackintosh.  So still looking that route.

1 minute ago, Ed_David said:

The problem is I need to encode to pro res for dailies for people.  And I need serious gfx power.  I think either get the souped up MBP or a lesser model with thunderbolt 3 and also carry a eGPU for resolve.  Just have to see if it works.  May just be worth it to spend a ton and get the internal 4 gb gfx card.

Thanks guys for this.  

I have a DIT friend who says the xps 13 is easy to hackintosh.  So still looking that route.

Have you heard of Bizon? A lesser, older MBP with one of those may fit the bill.

I've ran a hackintosh (desktop) since 2012. It's been one of the most stable systems I've ever used. The only real drawback is that you always need to reserve space for a bootable backup of the previous version of OS X that you were using. This way, if something goes really wrong, you can go back. Personally, I would just buy the MacBook if you absolutely need a mobile mac. For real power and value, go to https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/october/2016

I'm waiting and hoping for nvidea 1050, 1060, 1070, and 1080 support. Those cards are big jumps in performance over the previous generation.

3 hours ago, Ed_David said:

I need to encode to pro res for dailies for people.

Personally, I still prefer OS X, but if you're on Premiere and are just doing prores for preview, I think you could get away with any of the DNxHD to ProRes transcoding solutions.  Thus, a cheaper Windows machine might be an option. 

I used a Hackintosh the last from 2002 - 2015. My Advice dont do it. Its a pain in the ass. Every update breaks some thing, mostly the audio interface. After my Computer Science degree i switch to an 'real' Mac and never looked backed. If you depend on this computer an hackintosh is no option. You can solve problemes only by yourself and some nerds in hackintosh forms. With an 'real' mac you can drive to your next Applestore.