G80/85 in stock.

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

Just a heads up for those who wants to adopt early. It came in stock today in the stores I usually shop from, so I guess its everywhere.

As always Im trying hard not to buy. But history of Panasonic dictates that I can easily find it 50% used or new within a couple of months. The G7 dived early to less than 50% of current retail, the gx80/85 was 30% off within two weeks. 

So the waiting game begins :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On 7-10-2016 at 6:00 PM, Cinegain said:

I see it's 'In stock' at places as well. Though, rather than picking one up in town, looks like it would pay off to order from e.g. CVP (savings roughly 110~120 EUR; excl. shipping).

Anyone who bought and played around with it yet? I guess it makes sense to sell off the G7 and GX80 now... the GX80 form factor is way nice, with the compact zoom comparable to the LX100, but I guess having the best of both is worth trading in the small size for. Is that Lumix 12-60mm any good (I'm thinking about having something for the 5-Axis DUAL I.S 2)? 14-140mm the same as bundled with the GH4?

-- another benefit ordering one from the UK, a G80 promotional free battery grip*:

(*Purchase Period: 19/09/2016 - 31/10/2016. Applicable to residents of the EEA, EU, Switzerland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man who are aged 18 years or over)

YkVqTjA.jpg

EOWjEP6.jpgtdkj4zU.jpgSNwNdzt.jpg

It's almost 31.10 though, so you could either wait a while for prices to drop, or jump on a decent deal right now (in case of UK Digital a free 64GB Panasonic card, 12-60mm and battery grip for body only EU prices).

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, Samin said:

I have preordered it through cvp.com but they told they are unable to get the item to me until early December!

That sucks, I could pick one up within 10min if I wanted to.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

It's almost 31.10 though, so you could either wait a while for prices to drop, or jump on a decent deal right now (in case of UK Digital a free 64GB Panasonic card, 12-60mm and battery grip for body only EU prices).

Yeah, that's also a good way. The XT2 included a 35mm if one preordered etc. Deals are everywhere for those that look :)

I often get 20% on new cameras the first week from one of the stores because I subscribe to their newsletter. They don't do it for things like a Canon 5Dmkiv but they did for the NX1 and A7sii. Mirrorless doesn't do very well here so they need to boost sales a little to get it going.

(BTW I definitely stopped myself from buying it, while browsing on it I accidentally impulsed a Fuji X70. So no more shopping for a while.)

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

That sucks, I could pick one up within 10min if I wanted to.

Well yeah it sucks!, apparently here in Finland in some shops have it in stock! but I got a good deal from cvp! couldn't pass it, not to mention free battery grip if I manage to get it! 

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Oh! Be interested to hear your review of the X70 :)

I'd be much keener on the X70 if it had the same lens on it as the X100 series has, as I prefer the FoV

Yeah the X100 looks like a fine camera. I really like the idea of these fixed focal length compacts. With the mic input, built in ND filters, and film simulations, this could be a great tool.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Oh! Be interested to hear your review of the X70 :)

I'd be much keener on the X70 if it had the same lens on it as the X100 series has, as I prefer the FoV

Yeah Im excited to see if it's a keeper.

I adore the x100t and borrow one all the time from a friend. But I would most likely never bring it out since my Leica can easily replace it. And my favorite fov on the Leica is 28mm.

There is one style of shooting I really like, stealth/candids up close. For film I use a small voigtlander with a 15mm. Shooting from the hip pretty much everything is in frame. And already at f5 or so, 1m to infinity is in focus. I can stand next to someone, point the camera far of from them and still capture them from head to toe.

I dont have a digital equivalent for this thats as small. Enter the x70.

I wont be able to point it as far of the subject with the 28mm. But with me looking downwards poking at the touch screen, they will more likely think Im just fiddeling in menus.

Meanwhile I use the touch to focus and shoot feature in combination with the dead silent leaf shutter... pow :)

I will keep you posted.

Guess I got lucky then, not sure why there would be such a massive gap between first units and follow up stock.

@Jazz, yup, one of the reasons to ditch a G7, GX80/85 and go with this puppy!

Monitor-through: 4:2:2/8-bit (While recording motion picture on the SD memory card in the camera unit)

They did some wicked things to the FZ2000/FZ2500 as well. Giving it 4:2:2/10-bit out even. So you still know some segmentation is going on. Canon has set a bad example. Luckily for us, segmentation with Panasonic means a lot of different cameras, not overpriced DSLRs and a cinema range to go to from there.

X70 sounds interesting too! I've been thinking going with a Ricoh GR II for some shots around the city/cities. Even more basic than a LX100 you could say. And the APS-C sensor should help with the still image quality. The Ricoh isn't really perfect though, so the next best thing seems that X70. Though, regarding video it's probably not all that.

6 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah the X100 looks like a fine camera. I really like the idea of these fixed focal length compacts. With the mic input, built in ND filters, and film simulations, this could be a great tool.

Indeed, I've been wanting one of these APS-C compacts for *aaaaggggeeesssss*! 

I *almost* purchased the Nikon Coolpix A when it went on the massive special, but didn't... other priorities! As really any compact is just going to be a luxury toy for me, and not a tool. One day when I can spare the cash I will. Probably once the older ones secondhand drop down to around US$200ish

1 hour ago, Timotheus said:

But then we're talking $900 (G85) vs. $4000 (c100 ii)...

Oh yeah, I know. Jazzbox had mentioned he was considering selling his GH4 and other equipment to buy a C100...

21 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Indeed, I've been wanting one of these APS-C compacts for *aaaaggggeeesssss*! 

I *almost* purchased the Nikon Coolpix A when it went on the massive special, but didn't... other priorities! As really any compact is just going to be a luxury toy for me, and not a tool. One day when I can spare the cash I will. Probably once the older ones secondhand drop down to around US$200ish

See I really like the idea of these compacts for guerilla video. I never heard of the coolpix a... But I may want to pick one of them up when the used prices drop a little more too. It looks great. 

11 hours ago, mercer said:

Go with the C100ii. 

I'd like it but I cannot afford it... so I will go with GH5 for sure, but G80' stabilized body would be nice if HDMI works ;) 

9 hours ago, mercer said:

Oh yeah, I know. Jazzbox had mentioned he was considering selling his GH4 and other equipment to buy a C100...

See I really like the idea of these compacts for guerilla video. I never heard of the coolpix a... But I may want to pick one of them up when the used prices drop a little more too. It looks great. 

At the end - money apart - I understood love to shoot in the most simple way I can. So "size matters" ;)