My Review of the New Zhiyun Crane-M 3-Axis Gimbal

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

This little badboy has been available on the Chinese part of the Zheyun website for some time. And my guess is that it will most likely show up on the english site very soon. Ive had it for a while but was asked to wait until yesterday (at the earliest).

Just like the predecessor it is very nicely built and super easy to setup.
Unlike last time I actually balanced it before testing. But that was very painless and no need for tools.

This is my first setup and test around the house (yes, with the dog ;) ).

What separates the ”Crane-M” from the larger ”Crane” is first and foremost the maximum payload. 650g on the M and 1200 on the bigger brother.
Other than that Zheyun has been very consistent imo.

For me that almost never use such devices it makes more sense to have a smaller version and use it with a speciality camera like the rx100iv.
I will do some additional testing and report back after trying the remote, app, etc.

My thoughts so far:
+
Just as good quality as the Crane
Works nicely, I mean at 02:50 I floor it down a bumpy hill.
Very easy to use
Nice and small
Can carry a bmpcc

-
Can obstruct itself
Not as powerful
Controls could be more featured out of the box 
Wished the batteries sat side by side

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Mattias Great video as always, Mattias. Nice touch with the spooky woods shot at the end, too - your dog is a natural -born actor. A while back, I noted that nobody in this thread mentioned wanting a gimbal for compact cameras, but I actually purchased my Lumix GM1 a few years back with the express purpose of flying it on a gimbal in mind. But it turned out to be too small for stabilizers like the Nebula, and most recently, the Crane. I still like the 1080p coming out of the GM1, and for anyone wanting to go super light and inexpensive, one of the GM cameras and the Crane M might be the way to go. I like that the newer gimbal has a hole for storing the screw that attaches to the baseplate when not in use - the screw on the original Crane could easily become lost. The manual is a nice touch as well, as this device might appeal to a broader market with little knowledge about stabilizers. I have to agree as well that setting up the Crane is virtually idiot-proof, but learning to walk and run like a ninja takes practice, and I see in your review that while you are running, you are crouching with knees bent - something I'm still having trouble doing. Nice work!

• Super Members
2 hours ago, jonpais said:

@Mattias Great video as always, Mattias. Nice touch with the spooky woods shot at the end, too - your dog is a natural -born actor. A while back, I noted that nobody in this thread mentioned wanting a gimbal for compact cameras, but I actually purchased my Lumix GM1 a few years back with the express purpose of flying it on a gimbal in mind. But it turned out to be too small for stabilizers like the Nebula, and most recently, the Crane. I still like the 1080p coming out of the GM1, and for anyone wanting to go super light and inexpensive, one of the GM cameras and the Crane M might be the way to go. I like that the newer gimbal has a hole for storing the screw that attaches to the baseplate when not in use - the screw on the original Crane could easily become lost. The manual is a nice touch as well, as this device might appeal to a broader market with little knowledge about stabilizers. I have to agree as well that setting up the Crane is virtually idiot-proof, but learning to walk and run like a ninja takes practice, and I see in your review that while you are running, you are crouching with knees bent - something I'm still having trouble doing. Nice work!

Thanks, I would agree on this being much more suitable for my gm1 than the big one.

6 hours ago, Ki Rin said:

Do you think it would be possible to fly heavier setups like a7r or m43 cameras?  (with primes)

Not an a7r, the original Crane does that. Some m4/3 cameras sure. Maybe a Em10ii or gx80. But you have to check the weight.

6 hours ago, JazzBox said:

Mattias, which kind of batteries (and how to recharge them) are on both the Crane and the Crane M?

Batteries included as well as USB-charger on both. Dont know their names, look like over sized AA, thinner than A.

• Super Members
56 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

How does the price compare with the full size Crane? 
I guess this might be an option for A6xxx series camera, but probably with the most compact lenses, not any of the larger zooms.

According to this site its $150 cheaper. But "real" prices should show up later this week.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161017020208&SearchText=zhiyun+crane+M

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

According to this site its $150 cheaper. But "real" prices should show up later this week.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20161017020208&SearchText=zhiyun+crane+M

Thanks. It is not massively cheaper unfortunately, and would probably restrict the choice of glass on an A6xxx. A good option if you have a dedicated small gimbal cam.

• Super Members

Disclaimer:
I did an experimental roll of Kodak Vision converted for C41 today. I seriously underexposed the iso800 film. I than let it sit waaay longer than it should in cold and very very old chemicals that I was planning on taking to the dump tomorrow. So, grainy and instagrami as f..ck.
I only had 5 frames left of the roll and was going to just let them go to waste when I saw the gimbal. 
So here are a few very rough images :)

The Gimbal
enny-3.md.jpg

Very little play for heavy cameras and still keeping the 360 ability.
enny-2.md.jpg

The Remote (optional extra)
enny.md.jpg

Love details like the hole where you can store the mounting screw.
enny-4.md.jpg

Disclaimer:
I did an experimental roll of Kodak Vision converted for C41 today. I seriously underexposed the iso800 film. I than let it sit waaay longer than it should in cold and very very old chemicals that I was planning on taking to the dump tomorrow. So, grainy and instagrami as f..ck.
I only had 5 frames left of the roll and was going to just let them go to waste when I saw the gimbal. 
So here are a few very rough images :)

You really should have tried your film camera on the gimbal, pretty steampunk ;)

To heavy Im afraid. Maybe my smallest s8 or an Olympus range finder I found at a fleemarket a few weeks back for some long exposures :)

Shame, a film camera could really use stabilisation. I remember the old days of holding my SLR against pillars or walls to try and steady long exposures in low light. 
Get out your rangefinder and shoot off a roll! Love the tones from your expired chemicals.

On 10/24/2016 at 0:55 PM, Mattias Burling said:

Thanks, I would agree on this being much more suitable for my gm1 than the big one.

Just one problem here - I've never managed to find a decent shim to allow the GM1 with any other than the kit lens to be mounted on a tripod head, let alone a gimbal. Any ideas?

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Just one problem here - I've never managed to find a decent shim to allow the GM1 with any other than the kit lens to be mounted on a tripod head, let alone a gimbal. Any ideas?

http://copter-rc.com/en/accessories/69-pilotfly-balance-plate.html

Something like this maybe?  Not sure if it's not thick enough or maybe even too wide.

• Super Members

Zhiyun sent me some specs in English today.

Comparison Between Crane-M and Crane:

CRAME-M                                CRANE

weight:740G                           weight:950G
payload:125g -650g               payload:350g -1200g
Crane-M weighs only 740g, 125g-650g load weight range.
Crane weights 950g, 350g-1800g load weight range.

Crane-M supports:
Specific cameras examples:
1)Smartphone series: iPhone7, iphone7 Plus and all other iphone series,Samsung,vivo,huawel,oppo, and all other smartphone series.

2)Action cameras:goprohero5, goprohero4, goprohero3, Gopro Hero session, Xiaomi yi,SONY action cameras, X3000R,HDE-AS50R, etc.

3)DC:
Sony DSC cameras(RX100, HX60, HX90, w830, wx350, RX1R, RX100, etc)
Canon power shot series(SX720,G7 X Masrk 2,G7 X Masrk
1,Sx620,G3X,G5X,SX720, etc)
NikonCOOLPIXseries(AW130S, S7000,A100, etc)
Lumix DMC series(ZS110GK,LX100,TS30,ZS110,LX100,ZS110GKS, etc)
Lerca series.

4) Mirrorless camera:
SONY ILCE series (6000L,5000L, 6300L, 7RM2,7k,6300L, 5100L, 6000L, 5000L)
Panasonic Lumix DMC (GF8,GF7,GX85,G7,GX8D, etc)
Canon EOS (M3, M10, ILCE-6000L,ILCE- 6300L,6000L)

Crane-M specific features:

1. The 26650 batteries Crane-M used can provide 12 hours operating time.

2. By using Zhiyun control cable, Crane-M supports Sony Cams Zoom in and Zoom out System, Photograph, Recording.

3. 360° unlimited rotation under locking mode. Inverted and handheld shooting are available.

4. The flat large area of the four-way rocker, make it easier to control direction and speed precisely. Instead of the traditional five-way joystick, the flat rocker has a more comfortable operating experience.

5. Tool-less mounting system make it possible to complete balance adjustment with 1 minute.

6. Support bluetooth connection. Through remote controller or App you could control camera by the gimbal.

7. Crane-M remains the same technology with Crane, to achieve 32-bit triple-MCU running in parallel at 4k Hz. It's far beyond the reach of other brands.

8. Through the app Zhiyun Camera, you can control zooming in/out, face tracking, video/photo switch etc. These are what you cannot imagine to achieve with other brands.

9. Crane-M has been improved with anti-slide slot added, which will solve axis slide problem and would be more reliable.

10. With 1/4 screw at the bottom, the gimbal is compatible to tripod, car shooting set, rocker, extension rod, etc.

• 9 months later...