How to store videos when traveling?

Dan Wake

I need an advice about how to store videos when traveling please. I need to back up large amount of files but I do not want to use a laptop . I need usb 3.0, do you have any suggestion please?

Do someone of you using this combo tablet + hub + usb card reader + esternal drive? does it work?

tab.jpg

+.jpg

51YogOVNLHL._SL1001_.jpg

+.jpg

tra.jpg

+.jpg

31LE-y2oB5L.jpg

and may you suggest to me any other diy or commercial solutions to this problem please? I need only to backup files not review them.

thx! :heart:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would not recommend this.  I don't think there really isn't any smartphone or tablet that's going to let you transfer files faster than 20MB/sec one way (probably half that speed going up and down at the same time) regardless of USB specification.  A tablet is not a computer.  Their usb ports are very limited in speed.  I own a USB 3.0 Galaxy Note 3, and a Galaxy Note 7 with Type C adapter.  They don't come anywhere close to operating at full usb specification.  Also, smart devices have this new trend going where if it detects something is eating a lot of battery, it will kill the process if your device hasn't been touched in a while.  Probably a nightmare to try to troubleshoot if you wanted to rely on it to do 8 hours of file transfer while sleeping only to find out when you wake up that the file transfer was halted a hour in.  

Check out

http://www.nextodi.com

I use one of their older units (ND2730) so I can swap 256GB CF cards while shooting MLRAW.

It works flawlessly except that it really needs to be plugged in to AC power after the first 256GB transfer (which takes around 40min). Newer models may have faster transfer speeds and longer battery life.

Anyway, if you need a unit that accepts a variety of cards it might be worth a look.

+1 for going the NEXTO route, especially if you're looking for a CF option.

The NEXTO DI ND 2901 is a great system that doesn't require a laptop + you can always back up to something like a WD My Passport Ultra as a 2nd backup.

It takes SSDs or HDDs (which you can swap out yourself, although it will void your warranty). I currently have mine with a 1TB SSD and it's been flawless (you'll need to buy the optional battery charger if you're going the SSD route tho).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1061096-REG/nexto_di_nese_nd2901500g_nd2901_with_500gb_hdd.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194890-REG/nexto_di_nese_nd2901500s_nd2901_500gb_ssd_portable.html

1 hour ago, Ty Harper said:

+1 for going the NEXTO route, especially if you're looking for a CF option.

The NEXTO DI ND 2901 is a great system that doesn't require a laptop + you can always back up to something like a WD My Passport Ultra as a 2nd backup.

It takes SSDs or HDDs (which you can swap out yourself, although it will void your warranty). I currently have mine with a 1TB SSD and it's been flawless (you'll need to buy the optional battery charger if you're going the SSD route tho).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1061096-REG/nexto_di_nese_nd2901500g_nd2901_with_500gb_hdd.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194890-REG/nexto_di_nese_nd2901500s_nd2901_500gb_ssd_portable.html

thx for this option but this is so expanive for me that I cant believe to my eyes! XD

I really need a much more cheap solution please. I have huge economic problems.

I'm getting ready to do a year-long trip around the world with my wife starting in mid-December, will be using a Macbook Air and a combo of the cloud when I have an internet connection (youtube, amazon, flickr, google) and cheap SD cards or the WD My passport since the 3gb version is now $229. I'll also be editing stuff as we go because I won't be able to bring back everything I shoot.

I'm leaning toward SD cards to keep cords/charging/weight to a minimum, the fewer devices and cables I need to manage the better. Plus outside of the computer and storage, I have to charge camera batteries and our iPhone. It'll cost a little more than a large drive to go the SD route, but my needs are a little extreme compared to most travel shoots. And like I said, I'll be editing some stuff on the go.

But first I have to decide, a pair of XT2's, a Xt2/Xpro2, or couple a6500's. First world problems.

I use a netbook to transfer files to a 512GB Lexar flash drive over USB 3.0. I always take enough memory cards or SSD's to last the duration of a trip. If the backup device fails or is stolen then it provides no real value and only a false sense of security. I keep my memory cards on my person until I arrive back at the house. The cards are nearly indestructible and take very little space and they are cheap with a Lexar 128GB SDXC UHS II selling for $60. Backing up a solid state memory card to a device with a mechanical hard drive really makes no sense and makes for one more thing I would have to get charged and do so every day while traveling.