Canon XC10 hardcoded noise reduction issue

kidzrevil

@hijodeibn Would a second hand C100 suit you? Lovely image from that. I know it's only 1080p but it's downsized from a 4k sensor, and the XC10 4k is just marketing rather than real resolution.

@mercer I can send you some 5D3 ML DNGs if you wanna play with them to see if it'd suit you.

@kidzrevil I think the gh5 will be something special 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Its between the xt2,panasonic g80 & gh5 for me. Im gonna wait a lil while before I make my decision

My reasoning doesn't have to do with the ghosting issue at all. I was happy with the results I was getting from C-Log, I just miss my lenses too much and I cannot afford two expensive cameras. Plus, it seems the price of the XC10 is dropping rather quickly on the used market. 

34 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Agree, this is quality control, and since looks like some cameras didn´t have the issue, most probably is related to hardware than firmware, which make very dangerous to buy any of this cameras, really sad, I was saving to go for the XC15 thinking it was free of ghosting, now I will have to go another route, and the problem is that I like Canon look more than any other camera in the market…..

If it is possible you might go somewhere you can try more than one and test the ghosting in the store--just BYOMedia...like picking through avocados to find the ripe ones.:confused:???

3 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

@hijodeibn Would a second hand C100 suit you? Lovely image from that. I know it's only 1080p but it's downsized from a 4k sensor, and the XC10 4k is just marketing rather than real resolution.

@mercer I can send you some 5D3 ML DNGs if you wanna play with them to see if it'd suit you.

Thanks Jim, that would be great. I watched a few of your mk iii videos on Vimeo. They look amazing. 

I have the 50d and don't mind the workflow, but that camera is so limited and you really have to take care that it doesn't overheat, but great imagery nonetheless. 

7 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

If it is possible you might go somewhere you can try more than one and test the ghosting in the store--just BYOMedia...like picking through avocados to find the ripe ones.:confused:???

B&H won't let you do that. I don't think any camera store will let you do that unless you are renting the body. Once you open the box you bought it ?

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks Jim, that would be great. I watched a few of your mk iii videos on Vimeo. They look amazing. 

I have the 50d and don't mind the workflow, but that camera is so limited and you really have to take care that it doesn't overheat, but great imagery nonetheless. 

Will PM you a few DNGs of random things at different resolutions.

22 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I asked the Canon service guy I'd been in contact with if the XC15 has ghosting like the XC10 and he said he's not able to find out...

44 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

Yeah. I have been thinking about the C100, but I get used to work in 4K, the re-frame is something I really love to have like an option, I own a R1 MX and I am looking for a camera that allows me to do gun&run, I am starting a doc next year and I need to travel light with the camera so the R1 can not be used, if the C100 is reading from a 4k sensor, have anyone upscaled it to 4K?, how does it looks like?

28 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

I asked the Canon service guy I'd been in contact with if the XC15 has ghosting like the XC10 and he said he's not able to find out...

My profession has been music--performance. There are products for my instrument you MUST test one by one---because consistent cannot be found--mail order won't work. You might be able to get more than one to test from B&H. At one point I owned 2 XC10s, and never had an issue with ghosting that I ever noticed. But I think I missed something in the exchanges on this thread. Am I to understand that EOS standard doesn't have issues with ghosting--or that ghosting is significantly reduced???

32 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

Well, Pvandall just reported his new XC15 has ghosting too, and I put my trust in any EOSHD forum member before  any Canon representative, it has been weeks since other forum members reported the issue and no word from Canon….

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Its between the xt2,panasonic g80 & gh5 for me. Im gonna wait a lil while before I make my decision

Probably now I will have to wait for the gh5 too, but I really wanted a Canon, the skintones are the best for me, dam it!!!!

2 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Well, Pvandall just reported his new XC15 has ghosting too, and I put my trust in any EOSHD forum member before  any Canon representative, it has been weeks since other forum members reported the issue and no word from Canon….

Probably now I will have to wait for the gh5 too, but I really wanted a Canon, the skintones are the best for me, dam it!!!!

How about a mark iv or the Nikon d500 or the Fuji x-t2?

13 minutes ago, mercer said:

How about a mark iv or the Nikon d500 or the Fuji x-t2?

Mark iv is too expensive for what it is, really don´t know much about nikon, I know you like it, can you comment about it?, Fuji x-t2 could also be an alternative….but I think if gh5 is released on feb-march next year it will be wise to wait a little….but who knows, may be I will just press the buy bottom anytime for a canon anyway….:(

1 minute ago, hijodeibn said:

Mark iv is too expensive for what it is, really don´t know much about nikon, I know you like it, can you comment about it?, Fuji x-t2 could also be an alternative….but I think if gh5 is released on feb-march next year it will be wise to wait a little….but who knows, may be I will just press the buy bottom anytime for a canon anyway….:(

Basically the Nikon Flat Profile is the best picture profile I have ever worked with. I actually like the 1080p from the D5500 better than I like C-Log... and I really, really like C-Log. The blacks are clean and even when there is noise, it's very organic. If it wasn't for the crop factor in the D500, I would have already owned one. But Nikon cameras aren't the most video friendly, but the image is worth it. 

On 25 de noviembre de 2016 at 9:13 PM, hyalinejim said:

I finally picked up the C100, the one with dual pixel, BH just lowered the price to $2,300, an even lower price than I was seeing for a second hand in ebay, I will add it an atomos ninja star and I will be ready to gun&run, the good thing is that this model will depreciate really low during the next two years, much less than any other camera so I will get at least 2/3 of the camera value if I decided to sell it next year…..I wish canon fixed the issue in the XC line with the next XC20, if that happens I will probably switch to it.

26 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I finally picked up the C100, the one with dual pixel, BH just lowered the price to $2,300, an even lower price than I was seeing for a second hand in ebay, I will add it an atomos ninja star and I will be ready to gun&run, the good thing is that this model will depreciate really low during the next two years, much less than any other camera so I will get at least 2/3 of the camera value if I decided to sell it next year…..I wish canon fixed the issue in the XC line with the next XC20, if that happens I will probably switch to it.

Cool, I saw they were on sale the other day. The original without the DPAF is $1799... so cheap. Btw, I heard the benefit of the c100 with an external recorder is imperceptible.

24 minutes ago, mercer said:

Cool, I saw they were on sale the other day. The original without the DPAF is $1799... so cheap. Btw, I heard the benefit of the c100 with an external recorder is imperceptible.

There is a small difference, a C100 with an atomos is even better than a C300 (without atomos), and with prores 422 you can push further in davinci, and what I like about this camera is that it is so cinematic, if It has 4K will be my dream camera (of course keeping this price, $12,000 for a 4K C300 mKII is impossible for my wallet). BTW, the original without DPAF sold out in two days, so a lot of people took advantage of this price cut, I went for the DPAF because of I am also planing to use it with a steadicam, and I can now forget about the focus, less work, much better!