The Canon 'C50' and what Canon need to do to fix the prosumer video range

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Canon Cinema EOS

The Cinema EOS range for pros seems to be a blazing success. It isn't that the C300 has the best image or the best technology, it is one of those products where the yin and yang is so perfect it 'just works'.

How can Canon bring the same magic to the prosumer market?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You'd hope they'd go after the BMCC, a little, & abandon upgrading Video mode for DSLRs, but that's just hoping.

Unless they've had a complete rethink about the market & their place in it, but as usual we'll just have to wait for the announcement.

I really wonder what the 7Dmk2 will offer, its got to be better than the 6D - doesn't it?

Canon seem to be like the guy who holds the table cloth, with the intention of pulling off in one clean stroke & says "watch this!" Well maybe they'll get it right one day, but for now its all chipped chinaware for tea!

If they do make a C50 my prediction is... an underwhelming and frustratingly crippled little brother to the C series ;) But what more could you take out from the C100? XLR inputs and related circuitry, SDI outs, the microphone. Quite a bit really, in order to make it smaller and bring it down in size.

They already removed 720/50p and 60p from the C100 though, which is just obscene and cynical crippling given the FS700's 240fps before it gets too low quality!

If they could make a 1080p 24/25fps AVCHD cameraand strip out that extra circuitry I bet it'd sell well.

I agree with you Andrew. But the likeliness of Canon going this way... Is really small IMO.
I'd think a C50 could be a C100 with less inputs and a cheaper body. But it's hard to imagine that would bring the price down to 3K $. There isn't much else to cripple as far as I can see.

• Administrators

That was in a different CR post.

"Canon will be announcing new cinema lenses and a new cinema camera for NAB 2013 we are told. The camera will sit somewhere between the EOS C100 and EOS C300, but will not be a direct replacement for the EOS C100. It will have both a PL and EF mount option. At present, no specifications for the camera have been given. Canon may also show a prototype that would come above the C500, but apparently that has yet to be decided internally."

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/02/new-cinema-camera-lenses-for-nab-2013

I don't think it is possible to fit something in-between the C100 and C300 since they are already so close, so for me the C50 rumour is more plausible.

the 5dmk2/3, 7d, and 550d from canon still fulfill the role of a device more than suitable for 'prosumers' IMO.

Prosumer is a sticky and confusing concept though. 'Prosumers' should be labelled as 'enthusiasts', 'picky consumers' or 'wannabe professionals'. I wouldn't want to try catering for this market because no product ever meets the confused perception of what is required by the end user. I don't think Canon want to mess in this hornets nest either.

Excellent article. All I would add is that it's not just Canon, but Panasonic, Olympus and Nikon that really need to meet in a giant strategy session to layout a prosumer roadmap for the future. I have stated in the past that the vast majority of Mirrorless cameras and DSLRs are merely overpriced 'beta' for what should be a line of legacy cameras that will last longer than two years on the 'shelf'.
The key to this will be standardization and modularization so that sensors can be upgraded, along with other components of a 'core' system.
I am also convinced that Prosumers do not need Four brand lines. Two at most and they should be standardized.
That's why I've come down hard on dark horses like BMCC and to a lesser extent, RED Cinema.

5Dmk3 or 7Dmk2 in a C100 body sounds about right, an upgrade but not as good as a C100 - but then why would you buy it?

Its hard to imagine what else they could do without shooting themselves in the foot.

There's a small window to do something, whilst BMCC & Digital Bolex are dragging their feet, but what & we are talking about Canon!

The key to this will be standardization and modularization so that sensors can be upgraded, along with other components of a 'core' system.

I'd love to have cameras/products that last more than a couple years, but unfortunately the makers have no advantages whatsoever in doing so, and that might very well be a thing of the past. Unless it becomes somehow regulated, I don't think it's gonna happen.

No 4K or 60fps to keep it safe from 1D-C

It's 2013!!! If any new video DSLRs or (especially) Cinema Cameras keep coming out without at least a 60fps mode, then things are way worse than we think they are, and we already think they're quite bad as it is. :)

5Dmk3 or 7Dmk2 in a C100 body sounds about right, an upgrade but not as good as a C100 - but then why would you buy it?

Its hard to imagine what else they could do without shooting themselves in the foot.

There's a small window to do something, whilst BMCC & Digital Bolex are dragging their feet, but what & we are talking about Canon!

Canon trying to market segment, but 3rd party manufacturers aren't letting them.

The case of most start up hobbyist is better served with a more liberally defined DSLR. 1DC and c50 would not be the idea. Sony almost get it right with the A99. It had the small focus fellow focus wheel ( its on that AF switch ) What it need is a Video specific manual mode, and Variable ND can be had via filter placed in front of the lens.

That stated, there need to be a rethink of the compact setup. The BMCC essentially point us to a sample. But this is hardly good for most hobbyist. Ditto with GH3, but I am hoping that Sony would take the current NEX format ( the 5, 6, & 7 series ) and expolate from there instead. They won;t be the light of such to replace say VG series, but with enough of customization, firmware, and lens that support. it can be made a setup

Canon's sin is also what they used to do well ( in term of photographic equipment ) .. that is they aim for a platform that decently work well for most, but not excel at any. And this approach is hurting them. Cause the 5D-II really break new ground and establish a new threshold, and that threshold is now exploded in numerous fashion to suite vastly different clientele with product that cater. The one size trying to fit all at that price bracket is not going to work, unless that new threshold is archived on all the performance and feature ground. I would say Canon know about this also, but being Japanese, corporate and notably also conservative. Their response is the C series and not seeing the indie / hobbyist / dedicated Amateur as much ( well I guess they do now )

Discontinue  C300 and C500.

C500 and C300 was Nuked by F5/55.

REBATCH c500 for c301(haha) and sell it for $10,000....

Make out of the New Canon 7D new Cinema Canon EOS c7DC and sell it for $4,000. make it 4:2:2 and 2k only.

p.s. Please Canon send me $10,000 for my advice ;-)

That was in a different CR post.

"Canon will be announcing new cinema lenses and a new cinema camera for NAB 2013 we are told. The camera will sit somewhere between the EOS C100 and EOS C300, but will not be a direct replacement for the EOS C100. It will have both a PL and EF mount option. At present, no specifications for the camera have been given. Canon may also show a prototype that would come above the C500, but apparently that has yet to be decided internally."

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/02/new-cinema-camera-lenses-for-nab-2013

I don't think it is possible to fit something in-between the C100 and C300 since they are already so close, so for me the C50 rumour is more plausible.

Discontinue  C300 and C500.

C500 and C300 was Nuked by F5/55.

REBATCH c500 for c301(haha) and sell it for $10,000....

Make out of the New Canon 7D new Cinema Canon EOS c7DC and sell it for $4,000. make it 4:2:2 and 2k only.

p.s. Please Canon send me $10,000 for my advice ;-)

A few things.

Firstly, theres no way canon will discontinue the c300 and c500.

Though you may not realize by reading blogs and forums, the c300 has been an incredible success. Second only to the alexa it is the most rented camera around. You could buy one strictly for renting, and pay it off in a few months. 

Though the c500 confuses me slightly simply because it lost all of the ergonomics of the c300, its barely just out and we have yet to see if it will succeed or not.

I would love a $4000 C DSLR. After getting a c100 my 5d3 footage is just disappointing in comparison.