EOSHD C-log improvement request

karoliina

Background: I have been using Marvel's advanced cine profile. It has been fairly good flat profile for 1DX mark II that exposes the whole dynamic range of the sensor available. Ie black is zero and white is 255. The 1DX mark II 4K mjpeg mode uses color standard which captures whole range from zero to 255 unlike the h254 which clips to Rec 709 levels discarding 0-16 and 236-255 levels.

Then came EOSHD C-log which I purchased and installed on my camera. Histogram reveals that it has been lifted from black and white so that it clips around 235 and it clips to virtual zero which is way up from zero. This reduces dynamic range because it leaves portion of the sensors levels as not utilized. It has the same flaw as the Technicolor Cinestyle.

i would suggest an improvement as follows: a new version of Clog which has both black and white lift removed, allowing to expose full range but still be flat. Please do it. I could do it myself but the Clog is locked (did not test but typical for authors of flat profiles is that they use the detrimental for user's freedom -locking function). Until then I switch back to Marvel's cine.

Reason: I want flat profile to protect from clipping, not to make the camera in fact to clip earlier. Clog clips earlier.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs