Google Pixel XL Camera Sample 4K - The Best Yet?

DBounce

So I've been looking into the new Google pixel smartphones,  and I came across this video.  IMO, this camera would appear to be far superior to any other smartphone to date.  I might even go as far as to call it cinematic. If this video is in fact the real deal then I can see why dxomarks rated it as the best smartphone camera that they have ever tested. 

What do you guys think?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can't see the video, definitely prefer Android to IOS, but there are real downsides to (trying to) use Android rather than iPhones phones for video. I've tried. There are fewer app options, almost no lens, case and grip attachments. I have an LG G4 which is great for stills but I can't get Filmic Pro, Cinema 4K or Cinema FV5 to work correctly and I get such awful burn-in when I try to do video with it that I can destroy my screen within a couple of hours of filming. Add to that the fact that in less than two years it has been sent back for repair (and away for a total of six weeks) twice... So I'm wary of getting carried away with enthusiasm this time. It's not because a phone can produce nice video that you can actually use it...

OK, now the video is visible again. That's not really what I would call a low light test (except for, perhaps, at 1:14 where the light is globally quite dim). More a high contrast ratio test. Even then it's not very difficult to retain the highlights let the shadows become black... I think my LG G4 does just as well. And all the shots are locked off so we can't see how good the stabilisation is or if rolling shutter is a problem.

6 hours ago, DPC said:

I can't see the video, definitely prefer Android to IOS, but there are real downsides to (trying to) use Android rather than iPhones phones for video. I've tried. There are fewer app options, almost no lens, case and grip attachments. I have an LG G4 which is great for stills but I can't get Filmic Pro, Cinema 4K or Cinema FV5 to work correctly and I get such awful burn-in when I try to do video with it that I can destroy my screen within a couple of hours of filming. Add to that the fact that in less than two years it has been sent back for repair (and away for a total of six weeks) twice... So I'm wary of getting carried away with enthusiasm this time. It's not because a phone can produce nice video that you can actually use it...

I was considering V20 to replace my Note 5, but now I'm not so sure...LG phones and their reliability seems to be a hit or miss. Pixel phones I think are slightly overpriced for what you get.

Plus, no OIS. only EIS. http://www.slashgear.com/google-explains-why-pixel-has-no-ois-eis-works-in-4k-video-11459502/

34 minutes ago, Chris Oh said:

I was considering V20 to replace my Note 5, but now I'm not so sure...LG phones and their reliability seems to be a hit or miss. Pixel phones I think are slightly overpriced for what you get.

Plus, no OIS. only EIS. http://www.slashgear.com/google-explains-why-pixel-has-no-ois-eis-works-in-4k-video-11459502/

Google worked closely with Qualcomm on the pixel. The EIS uses the gyroscopes to adjust for shake.  It is supposed to be very good indeed and is said to be free of the artifacts that are common in other EIS systems. I believe this Tech is similar to what we see from SteadXP. Below is the first footage from the pixel using this technology:

Also notice that HDR is enabled by default so we have the blacks of the tires exposed correctly while the sky also retains detail.

@DBounce - Is that supposed to be good? There are big jumps in the smoothing as far as I can see. Having seen that, I would put the phone on a little gimbal. I hope you can turn the stabilisation off.

@Chris Oh - To be fair, the LG G4 camera is truly excellent. But the technician who dealt with my repair(s) said he sees a lot of G4s come in. Also, LG has no loan service here in France, so I had to buy another phone for during the time(s) the phone was away.

11 minutes ago, DPC said:

@DBounce - Is that supposed to be good? There are big jumps in the smoothing as far as I can see. Having seen that, I would put the phone on a little gimbal. I hope you can turn the stabilisation off.

@Chris Oh - To be fair, the LG G4 camera is truly excellent. But the technician who dealt with my repair(s) said he sees a lot of G4s come in. Also, LG has no loan service here in France, so I had to buy another phone for during the time(s) the phone was away.

Yes I know they are. But, I have read half good and half bad about LG phone reliability issues. Stuff like endless bootloops, even for people who don't mess with their phones (i.e. rooting, putting custom firmware, etc.) exists.

I've never had that happening with my Note 1, Note 3, Note 4, and Note 5. I have about couple hundred apps on my phone and I use more than half of those every other day total. So, yeah. reliability is a big factor. LG so far does not have a good track record, in my opinion. Of course, that does not mean HTC (manufacturer who makes Pixel phones) doesn't have their own problems, but l'd say less than LG.

And Samsung, welp, I think you know why I will not be getting another Samsung phone for a long while. iPhone is just out of the question for my uses. So why not just use a proper camera? I had to sell mine to buy a house. :) So, for now I can only upgrade my phone. :D Sorry for the long winded post.

35 minutes ago, DPC said:

It's the first of many.  I would still put it on a gimbal. Let's keep in mind,  this guy is just walking with the phone.  He is clearly not making any effort to steady it.  As more videos become available we will learn how effective this type of stabilization can be.  I  am certain electronic stabilization will replace optical in the future. There are set limits on the range of motion allowed by a mechanical in camera stabilization. 

19 minutes ago, DBounce said:

It's the first of many.  I would still put it on a gimbal. Let's keep in mind,  this guy is just walking with the phone.  He is clearly not making any effort to steady it.  As more videos become available we will learn how effective this type of stabilization can be.  I  am certain electronic stabilization will replace optical in the future. There are set limits on the range of motion allowed by a mechanical in camera stabilization. 

I found the article that goes with that video I think.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/12/redditor-pixel-xl-ama-confirms-reboot-button-excellent-eis-video/

6 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Here are some details on the sensor found in the Pixel.  The sensor is capable of much more than what Google implemented in the Pixel.

http://www.xda-developers.com/sony-imx378-comprehensive-breakdown-of-the-google-pixels-sensor-and-its-features/

So we have a pretty good chance of seeing a Snapdragon 830, 4K60p, HDR video, OIS flagship in 2017 and should hold out on buying the Pixels.

3 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

It's pretty good, but it doesn't even come close to a $200 smartphone gimbal.  It is still lightyears behind.  For this kind of recording, I wouldn't call this a solution.  I'm sure it'll work well if you hold still and pan slowly.

and don't have whole bunch of apps running in the background. :D