Drone - the current choice...

Snowfun

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

8:29
I would pick the Phantom 4 any day. The sensor on the mavic is also smaller then the P4.

The mavic's video is unfocused. This was mentioned many many times on every other forum and YT video. And no the mavic has NOT smaller sensor. It is the exact same size as P4's. Where did you read this?

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

8:29
I would pick the Phantom 4 any day. The sensor on the mavic is also smaller then the P4.

You see you proved my point that you need to compare it yourself or from somebody that know how you do camera comparisons and not jump to conclusion based on a single source of guy that the sole interest is to have views and is not removing or posting a corrected version....As a early reviewer the minimum that he should have done was to contact DJI and ask for an explanation... 

I think DJI will learn the lesson not to handout test device to those vloggers that test everything from fridges to hotel rooms:-) without any supervision....

The Casey video is complete BS since the guy didn't focus correctly (he was not aware of the focusing feature).

As for sensor quality over the P4 and GoPro 5/Karma, all of them have a 1/2.3" sensor, Mavic included. The GoPro 5, P4 and Mavic also max out at 60mbps. So the difference will come from signal treatment and optic.

At the moment there is no real independent review of the Mavic. Just a bunch of people hand picked by DJI.

I wouldn't mind a drone to play around with.

For Australians, it recently became a lot easier as the rules have changed so you don't need a pilots licence ETC anymore for commercial use as long as the drone is under 2kg.

You still have to sign up and advise them before flying first and still have to play by the rules.

Maybe around this time next year there will be even more choice of camera drones that come in just under 2kg.

Most of the ones mentioned in this thread seem like they are well within the weight limits here. 

Here the limit is 250 gram... and you may fly it up to 30m. You must respect everyone's privacy (another reason why dashcams are forbidden). You need to be in a special exemption programm if you want to fly the quadcopter for anything other than purpose of flight itself (because that would actually still be considered hobby model flying... hook up a camera however, and that's out of the question). There's then a lot of costs and restrictions involved. Yeah... not my idea of a fun time when such hassle is involved, unless I'd be making a living out of it. I could only imagine getting one for holidays and taking it to places where they don't care as much that you're flying a quadcopter around. Where people would look up and wave at the camera, fascinated to see something like that, rather than calling authorities that you feel disturbed in your peace and violated in the general public privacy.

On 08/10/2016 at 3:21 AM, Cinegain said:

Be careful about saying 'game changer' if you haven't bought a usage licence from Apple. :grin:

It's a cool and fun quadcopter (I hate using the term 'drone', I reserve that for military application ones, I'd rather use 'quad-', 'hexa-', 'octocopter' or 'multirotor', 'aerial platform'). In  my eyes, it's just not a very serious aerial video platform, depending on what your expectations and requirements are however, it might be just super fine.

That ship has sailed, the genie has left the bottle.  Everyone (at least in Australia) calls them drones ?

Magic has 28mm ish equivalent lens. P4 20 mm. This is the only thing that has left me even vaguely considering the p4.  But I've decided to go magic.  Too many other plusses, and I prefer the look of the video too.

9 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Here the limit is 250 gram... and you may fly it up to 30m. You must respect everyone's privacy (another reason why dashcams are forbidden). You need to be in a special exemption programm if you want to fly the quadcopter for anything other than purpose of flight itself (because that would actually still be considered hobby model flying... hook up a camera however, and that's out of the question). There's then a lot of costs and restrictions involved. Yeah... not my idea of a fun time when such hassle is involved, unless I'd be making a living out of it. I could only imagine getting one for holidays and taking it to places where they don't care as much that you're flying a quadcopter around. Where people would look up and wave at the camera, fascinated to see something like that, rather than calling authorities that you feel disturbed in your peace and violated in the general public privacy.

That place really sucks, sorry : ) Dashcams are forbidden... what a joke : D Put a smartphone doing the role, what will they say? Will they confiscate your phone? In the name of what? Where's the loss of your privacy then? LOL :-)

On topic, here are several different options: