Lens Thrift Store Find, Rainbow TV Zoom Lens H6X8 8-48mm F/1

iKokomo

I was in a thrift store and I ran across this C mount lens (Rainbow TV Zoom Lens H6X8 (not the II model) 8-48mm F/1.0) for $5 USD and I could not pass it up especially since I just got a BMPCC. 
After putting on my camera (with an adapter) I noticed a fairly large vignette on the camera and it does not really focus unless the aperture number is very high. 
After doing research on this I read that the lens can be modified (or hacked) to work on my camera well. Or do I need a special mount? 
I saw a lot of people saying it could be done, but I did not really see any instructions on how to do this or what mount to buy. 

How can I do this? It seems like a nice lens, but is it worth it? 

Thanks a lot!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, probably not worth much of your time as (like tweak is saying), that's a lens that works for 8mm sized image circle.
Not trying to send you further down the rabbit hole, but you can use certain 1.5x or 2x tele-extenders to expand the image size ----at the loss of a couple stops of light and you get a very bloomed/glowy/soft image wide open. Think HEAVY soft diffusion filters. It could be what you're looking for stylistically, but it's pretty much the reverse of everything one would love about using the bmpcc speedbooster. It's the sacrifice for having a tiny rather portable zoom.

ALSO, the lens might be out of alignment or your c-mount to m4/3 adapter might not set the necessary flange distance and may require back focus adjustment. MORE RABBIT HOLE. :)

If you got it for $5 USD though, can't really go wrong. Can always flip it when you get bored of trying to coax an acceptable image out of it.