Looking into new field recorder.

Turboguard

I was wondering if you guys could help me out deciding on a new field recorder. I currently use the Tascam 60D (mark 1) but am tired of it's design. I'm thinking about maybe getting the 70D instead as I do like that design when having the recorder hang over my shoulder in the straps. But I'm not a sound guy really so am not following too much news in that field, thinking you guys might have better recommendations. I have a rode NTG2 and Link Filmkit hooked up to it mostly if that makes any differences to choices.

Thanks in advance guys!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just got the new Tascam DR-100mkiii. 

The preamps on this thing are great. At least as quiet as the juicedlink rm222 that I was using before. I guess it is in the same league as the zoom F8 from other reviews that I read. You can find some samples here

The on board directional mics are very good and the build quality is great as well. 

5 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I just got the new Tascam DR-100mkiii. 

The preamps on this thing are great. At least as quiet as the juicedlink rm222 that I was using before. I guess it is in the same league as the zoom F8 from other reviews that I read. You can find some samples here

The on board directional mics are very good and the build quality is great as well. 

How much better are they than on the DR-60 mk II? I found those to be bad, but still better than a Zoom h4n by a significant margin and definitely usable for home use, just underwhelming.

For the price, bordering Sound Devices grade (as with the F8 and Zaxcom) pre-amps would be nice, even if the build quality is lower.

As the sticky end of the stick recipient of location sound (and after many years swinging a boom and recording on 2 track DAT,  broadcast and film sets) I'd just love the operators to point it in the right direction lol. Saves me calling ADR, saves us placating artists returning 2 films later and a year later to recapture "the moment" and asking why, it's not impossible - requires balls on set and proving your talent to the director and 1st AD etc (no boom in calls!) and mostly taking the lighting dept out for beers so they'll chuck a flag in for you :)  

No excuse for not getting a boom inches away from artists or asking crew to move chokes, lights, turn off fridges etc etc. Personals were an absolute last resort, should always be, and lazy - if your sound guy turns up and wires everyone up, records to an 8 track and depends on post to ISO unpick the scene IMHO then you've gone low.

No-one leaves a cinema or viewing whistle-ing a two shot, but shit sound ruins the best of films.

August brings a raft of picture makers (aiming for competition submissions) who've spent everything on cameras, lenses and booze, and want ADR foley track-lay and mix for bugger all, may be the effects of schooling, but will become very apparent you can't skip audio, you can - but the viewer will withdraw from the picture and story far faster than a dodgy shot instantly with cack sound. 

Hire a great boom swinger, and post is piss easy.

Just my 2 pence :)

1 hour ago, Policar said:

How much better are they than on the DR-60 mk II? I found those to be bad, but still better than a Zoom h4n by a significant margin and definitely usable for home use, just underwhelming.

For the price, bordering Sound Devices grade (as with the F8 and Zaxcom) pre-amps would be nice, even if the build quality is lower.

I haven't used the DR-60mkii but just looking at the specs the dr100mkiii can have up to 109dB S/N whereas dr60mkii has ~92dB. 

I've been really pleased with the DR60D, original model. I've tested the hell out of it, a lot of my audio goes through pro tools and haven't been disappointed. I run a good mic into it (AT4053) and overall, getting really crisp and present, punchy dialogue. I'm not really a pixel-peeper of audio though, if it sounds good it sounds good. I've stuck in in an audio bag and had guys boom with it, no issues - it's not an awesome form factor but man, for the bucks, been really happy.

8 hours ago, Turboguard said:

I currently use the Tascam 60D (mark 1) but am tired of it's design. I'm thinking about maybe getting the 70D instead as I do like that design when having the recorder hang over my shoulder in the straps.

If you don't need the extra inputs then the DR60D is easily a better design as a OPC boom op than a Tascam DR70D (I've used both, owned a DR60D: http://ironfilm.co.nz/firmware-update-for-tascam-dr-60d-mk1-fixes-recording-interruptions-when-running-on-external-usb-power-packs/ and used a DR70D on the feature film "Vagabond").

I'd recommend sticking with it. If you want to upgrade then the main choices (in order of increasing costs) are:

(secondhand) Tascam DR680 mk1/ mk2 (I picked up one for just under US$300, including a Satchler bag! Using it now paired with my Sound Devices 552)

Zoom F4

Zoom F8

Sound Devices 633

Just a note on the F8 (and I am going to assume the F4 has the same issue), you cannot adjust the gain while recording since it adds a clicking or zipper noise. Meaning that while you're recording, if the talent begins to talk louder or quieter, you cannot really make adjustments or it will add noise to the recording. The alone kills it for me, since adjusting the trim is something I do all the time. Other than that the F8/4 seems awesome, but I couldn't do it.

2 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I haven't used the DR-60mkii but just looking at the specs the dr100mkiii can have up to 109dB S/N whereas dr60mkii has ~92dB. 

Wow, that's pretty good if it's representative of its quality. Again, the DR-60MKII isn't bad.... it's just not great. That's pretty good.

31 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Just a note on the F8 (and I am going to assume the F4 has the same issue), you cannot adjust the gain while recording since it adds a clicking or zipper noise. Meaning that while you're recording, if the talent begins to talk louder or quieter, you cannot really make adjustments or it will add noise to the recording. The alone kills it for me, since adjusting the trim is something I do all the time. Other than that the F8/4 seems awesome, but I couldn't do it.

That's the first I've heard of zipper noise on the F8. I'm surprised, but I believe it, and it's definitely a deal killer.

Tascam and a pre-amp sounds like the way to go on the low end, I guess (and Sound Devices everything if you have the money).

4 hours ago, Policar said:

That's the first I've heard of zipper noise on the F8.

Same... I follow news of the F8 quite closely, as I hang out on all the main pro sound forums (taperssection, jwsoundgroup, gearsultz, etc) and both the Zoom F8 Facebook groups, yet I don't recall noting down this deal breaker for myself. 

That would be a deal breaker for any sound man around. If that is not the case, then for multiple chans Tascam DR-701D vs Zoom F4, and if you want smaller form factor and less ch them DR100mkIII or even the II are excellent options (now that III is out, the II is becoming a real good value for money option, with no such big differences). The DR100 preamps are the best among Tascams (and far better than any Zoom I have used, except F4/F8 which I haven't use, so I took the positive approach and trust them with better ones). I consider the 60 and 70 as lower tier options, good for cheap/very light/small dSLR rigs (where are the only true options around), but for something more, definitely the DR100ii/iii, and up.

Does anyone know if DR100markIII accepts line/mic in one ch and +48 in the other(for wireless+condenser mic), the II certainly doesn't (or does it?!)? This is a huge problem, for when want to use a kit like this.

I use the Zoom H5 with a Sennheiser MKE600, great results. 
Zoom's preamps are not the quieter in the world, but with the nice output of Sennheiser they works fine, they just need a good output from the mic. Of course if you use an external preamp no problems at all, you can feed the H5 from that and use the mic you want.

13 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Curious, as I bought the Mk II in April, did you ever use that? Any big improvements?

No I have not used the MkII but looking at the specs when going from mk2 to mk3 you get the same increase from 92db to 109db s/n. I guess a proper comparison might be more helpful but I was really surprised to find a recorder <$500 that gives me a similar noise floor to the RM222. 

12 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Does anyone know if DR100markIII accepts line/mic in one ch and +48 in the other(for wireless+condenser mic), the II certainly doesn't (or does it?!)? This is a huge problem, for when want to use a kit like this.

Unfortunately the phantom power is applied on both channels so no...