DJI just slaughtered GoPro with Mavic

Dave Maze

20 minutes ago, sanveer said:

DJI can improve their video quality by merely improving the bitrate and having a flat profile option for post.

DJI X3 has a flat profile called D-Log and I expect to be the same on Mavic. Mavic bitrate is 60 Mbits the same as the X3 (phantom 4) and Gopro 4 and 5. This tells nothing about the final quality but the specs are similar.

Mavic camera spec:

Camera

Sensor1/2.3” (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.35 M (Total pixels:12.71M)

LensFOV 78.8° 28 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.2
Distortion < 1.5% Focus from 0.5 m to ∞

ISO Range100-3200 (video)
100-1600 (photo)

Shutter Speed8s -1/8000s

Image Max Size4000×3000

Still Photography ModesSingle shot
Burst shooting: 3/5/7 frames
Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3/5 bracketed frames at 0.7 EV Bias
Interval

Video Recording ModesC4K: 4096×2160 24p
4K: 3840×2160 24/25/30p
2.7K: 2704×1520 24/25/30p
FHD: 1920×1080 24/25/30/48/50/60/96p
HD: 1280×720 24/25/30/48/50/60/120

Max Video Bitrate60 Mbps

Supported File FormatsFAT32 ( ≤ 32 GB ); exFAT ( > 32 GB )

PhotoJPEG, DNG

VideoMP4, MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)

Supported SD Card TypesMicro SD™
Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

DJI X3 has a flat profile called D-Log and I expect to be the same on Mavic. Mavic bitrate is 60 Mbits the same as the X3 (phantom 4) and Gopro 4 and 5. This tells nothing about the final quality but the specs are similar.

Mavic camera spec:

Camera

Sensor1/2.3” (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.35 M (Total pixels:12.71M)

LensFOV 78.8° 28 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.2
Distortion < 1.5% Focus from 0.5 m to ∞

ISO Range100-3200 (video)
100-1600 (photo)

Shutter Speed8s -1/8000s

Image Max Size4000×3000

Still Photography ModesSingle shot
Burst shooting: 3/5/7 frames
Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3/5 bracketed frames at 0.7 EV Bias
Interval

Video Recording ModesC4K: 4096×2160 24p
4K: 3840×2160 24/25/30p
2.7K: 2704×1520 24/25/30p
FHD: 1920×1080 24/25/30/48/50/60/96p
HD: 1280×720 24/25/30/48/50/60/120

Max Video Bitrate60 Mbps

Supported File FormatsFAT32 ( ≤ 32 GB ); exFAT ( > 32 GB )

PhotoJPEG, DNG

VideoMP4, MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)

Supported SD Card TypesMicro SD™
Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required

I wonder if it has the Sony IMX377 sensor? That is one crazy beast. The lack of higher bitrates may be due to the processing power (if not due to a different sensor). Because the processors onboard are doing so much more than on the GoPro. 

I also watched the DJI video again. The grading was terrible. I think they could retrench some employees from that department. I also watched the GoPro launch video. There is one bit where Wood (the CEO of GoPro) shows the level of stabilisation with the stabilizer mounted on one of the bikers, and its very impressed in terms of stabilisation. But that video has some serious micro-blocking issues. Maybe due to the bitrate limitations.

Great to have both options as a consumer.
But let's see some head to head comparisons first.

I'm interested to see the stability under wind and image quality of both in the same situation.

From my experience I prefer to work with the GoPro footage in post.
Much nicer colour and less artifacts.

21 minutes ago, Hene1 said:

[..]

I think the GoPro/Karma looks way way better, what comes to color and motion. Stabilization on Mavic doesn't seem to be that great, you can see a lot of jello/jitter.

Yeah, it's like I said last week! :grin:

On 19-9-2016 at 1:05 AM, Cinegain said:

Haven't gone for anything from GoPro since my HERO3 Black edition cameras. I thought they were really done for. But this certainly puts the brand back on my radar for sure. Years ago I used to say 'don't go amature, GoPro', because there wasn't really anything like it. And to this day... there might be some tough competition which each their own strong points, but there's something about GoPro... maybe it's like the Canon of action cams :grin:, with everything around them getting more affordable and stepping up the specs game, giving them some tough competition.

Black version with screen (no more wondering why they'd give the grey version a screen and not the black), waterproof up to 10m without case is a big deal! Video stabilization. Voice control. GPS (built-in? Or through smartphone connection? Didn't figure that out). Not too bad... Drone is pretty interesting too, although DJI has a lot of safety features integrated now... not sure how that is with the Karma. Atleast if the copter screws up you can say that it is a bitch!

Don't think DJI slaughtered anyone, they're feeling the heat from all directions with all the cheaper Chinese competitors - just like GoPro.

Personally, I'm more interested in the GoPro setup because the camera is more versatile, can't put the DJI on my paddlebaord, kayak, mountain bike and so on. The Hero5 Black is $400 by itself. The $1100 package includes the 5, the drone, the live view controller and the handle for a handheld gimbal.

But I also prefer the GoPro look to the DJI look.

Both are great and will do fine. The karma puts gopro at DJIs level. We can probably say that it will be a battle between size, ease of flight and use against stability and quality. The problem is I don't see these drones as complementary, it will be an either or decision for buyers. Unexperienced drone users will go for the mavic with it's safety features, I'm sure of that.

I was waiting this days! 
I'd love to buy a drone, and as always it seems there is not a perfect one: Karma is 3 products in 1 (a drone, an Osmo-like camera, a GoPro, nice for underwater shots), Mavis seems slightly better in terms of safety, easiness and size. 

I don't like GoPro's fisheye look, but there is a linear mode, hopefully not digitally cropped. Mavis has a 28mm wide angle but colors are (to my eyes) not that special. ProTune for sure could give more freedom in post. 

So... I'm going to think which one to buy :) 

55 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

4K @ 60Mbps is not good at all, DJI should give an option of selectable bitrate from low to high 100-200Mbps

Well said.

7 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Is it just me or is the footage of the Karma launch video looking a whole lot better than the Mavic video? 

Be honest, bud. Your eye focus the chicks... ;-)

I like the DJI's compactness.  I need the assist with collisions, tracking, and landing.  It does have DLOG.  But you can tell by the image it's really suffering from heavy compression.  It's a few notches lower than what I would like to work with.  I think I'll start pixel peeping every shot and be looking to upgrade to it's successor from day 1.

GoPro....No flying assist features.  I have a few gimbals already that work with the GoPro so another gimbal is not necessary for me.  As much as I like the size of the Mavic, the backpack that I would carry either in would fit both.  The real bummer is the lack of the flying assist features.

Should I get the one with the better video, or the one I would crash less?  It's 50/50.

2 hours ago, Michael Ma said:

I like the DJI's compactness.  I need the assist with collisions, tracking, and landing.  It does have DLOG.  But you can tell by the image it's really suffering from heavy compression.  It's a few notches lower than what I would like to work with.  I think I'll start pixel peeping every shot and be looking to upgrade to it's successor from day 1.

GoPro....No flying assist features.  I have a few gimbals already that work with the GoPro so another gimbal is not necessary for me.  As much as I like the size of the Mavic, the backpack that I would carry either in would fit both.  The real bummer is the lack of the flying assist features.

Should I get the one with the better video, or the one I would crash less?  It's 50/50.

I'm the same. I really like the modular approach gopro took. Having a detachable gimbal and camera seems like it would be really useful. Basically you have your whole kit in one package. 
But the mavic seems much better feature wise, and the size is amazing. You can basically take it in your camera bag without even thinking about it. 
However I'm a little skeptical about the video quality / stability. And also how robust it is. It looks like it would be really easy to break several of those folding parts... .

Mavic is definitely one for me, I need a compact drone for traveling around, p3 still have to use its own bag.

For quality I got X5 on air and X5 on osmo, dont really need gimbal on gopro, hate fisheye and indoor/lowlight performance is really bad. (I had goPro4 before) X5 osmo is much better, you also get nice moving bokeh shots on osmo with 25mm 1.7 and 42.5mm 1.7 lens.