Animation?

Liam

Been really into Satoshi Kon and Don Hertzfeldt lately.

Seemed like an interesting way to go, if it's doable, since I have so little help. Looks way more possible than I expected, having never even drawn much before.

Looking at Blender 2d animation and Plastic Animation Paper.

Didn't know if anyone here had experience animating, with tips for someone new, or thoughts on it opposed to live action, or could just share some of their favorite animated films. Anything really.

Happy filming!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm an animator. It's not really something you can just drop into. Takes a lot of time to learn and a lot of patience and dedication to get right.

I recommend getting the book "Animator's Survival Kit" which goes through all the core principles of it, with plenty of illustrated examples. It's probably a great read even for those just interested in animation but not necessarily wanting to get into it.

If you have a drawing tablet I recommend using Pencil 2D animation software http://www.pencil2d.org/ or if you have an ipad or android tablet get a stylus and the Rough Animator app. If you don't have either then I'd recommend getting one.

I would stay away from massively complicated programs like Blender if you're just starting out. 

If you do get serious about animation, I'd recommend taking classes at ianimate or animschool rather than going to physical place of education.

19 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

I'm an animator. It's not really something you can just drop into. Takes a lot of time to learn and a lot of patience and dedication to get right.

I recommend getting the book "Animator's Survival Kit" which goes through all the core principles of it, with plenty of illustrated examples. It's probably a great read even for those just interested in animation but not necessarily wanting to get into it.

If you have a drawing tablet I recommend using Pencil 2D animation software http://www.pencil2d.org/ or if you have an ipad or android tablet get a stylus and the Rough Animator app. If you don't have either then I'd recommend getting one.

I would stay away from massively complicated programs like Blender if you're just starting out. 

If you do get serious about animation, I'd recommend taking classes at ianimate or animschool rather than going to physical place of education.

Thanks! I was looking at that book - can read a lot of it on Amazon's "look inside" thing. Good stuff. I'm alright with the animation looking pretty simple, but I id assume I'll be putting in a year or more work before really seeing fruit at all. I'll look into everything you mentioned, thank you

wow i love animation what a fun topic!!

2 hours ago, Liam said:

Satoshi Kon

so awesome this is some of my favorite stuff ever – btw im discussing all of this in a purely visual sense rn

just gorgeous 2d design what a genius

2 hours ago, Liam said:

having never even drawn much before

ive drawn a lot, and thought about drawing a lot more, but i just dont have the talent of these illustrators in any way shape or form – im good at copying. whenever i look at animators sketchbooks im just like wtf. they amaze me

99% of the drawing i do is based on photographic imagery that i create, not unlike whats going on below. classic disney animation is some of the most lyrical, beautiful work of its kind to me, just delightful

so, since youre already a cinematographer, you could make that work for you in all kinds of ways. and im not saying start drawing like those disney dudes... i certainly cant... you can abstract photo derived imagery almost to oblivion as an animator with powerful results that retain the gestalt of what youve shot

then again

2 hours ago, Liam said:

Don Hertzfeldt

something completely different

i was gonna make an analogy about dons work with the simplicity of the simpsons and then i was like OH SNAP MY FAVORITE COUCH GAG (simpsons intro)

this is disturbing and beautiful

STILL LOVE U HOMAR

"When simplicity goes head to head with complexity, simplicity will win every time"

tumblr_odtxhyCmR81run1l1o2_r1_1280.jpg

^ example

the more iconic your work, the weirder you can get. i mean this is a dog and a cat..... a dog and a cat

Fig11-12_RenStimpyPollock.jpg

im working on my own take on animation... its coming along but unfortunately ive failed at inventing a technique thats easy lol

anyway animation +/-

+ beloved by people of all ages, transcends race and culture

+ can be done by one person

+ easy to be unique

- hard

- time consuming

and as always, the age old saying "if its not on the page its not on the stage" holds true – write something you love first! thatll get you through the long nights slaving over a hot computer ?

also...

this was way ahead of its time

Don Hertzfeldt is probably my favorite animation director currently, his film World of Tomorrow was my favorite film of last year. 

I saw "The Animation Show" in theaters when I was younger, during "Rejected" in the theater was the first time I laughed until I couldn't breath.

Cannot wait to see what the guy does next.

On the topic of animation, I always say WALL-E is an underrated masterpiece. 

@fuzzynormal I can't imagine someone not liking Hertfeldt! It's Such a Beautiful Day is the best film I've seen in a long long time.

@kaylee I've definitely been doing some copying. Free hand, things can get messy :grimace: And yeah, I've kind of just been sitting on scripts that I like for a long time. Even if I can't do animation, it's worth a few years trying, in case it could open the door to like.. everything I've ever wanted. A few years ago was maybe the first time I realized (duh) that animation could be the medium for any story and not have to dictate that it's childlike or zany or have monsters. Tokyo Godfathers was such a low key and fantastic film. I'm so into animation right now