GH5 Prototype

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, marcuswolschon said:

Micro 4/3 is not a sensor size.

It's a lens mount.

4/3" is an image circle size.

4/3"  4:3 is a sensor size.

Yes and no. In the same way, it happens with other formats, there's a sensor size for 4/3" format. Better now? ; ) To say that's related to the sensor size which is measured in mm means to be related to the sensor size used by the 4/3" format. Actually, some of these formats, as for instance, 4/3", 2/3", 1/2", 1/3", 1/4" are based on the 1" as reference unit instead. 

On the other hand, 4:3 is not a sensor size but the sensor aspect ratio :-)

47 minutes ago, marcuswolschon said:

Yes, that's why I said 4/3" 4:3 as image circle and aspect ratio together define the size of a rectangular sensor.

A rectangular sensor closer to a square than 16:9, without mention going with anamorphic.

My friend, in the same way my semantics didn't serve to you, yours follows very well represented in that example : ) Funny, in the end, your post ended to apply a similar principle, hence to claim correction to be fair with each other ;-)

4:3 is for that as same as 1.33 TV format when TV sets used that aspect ratio or jumping to the photography example, the famous 15x10 and so on. Maybe that's me but I always set the camera to the 16:9 format instead, photos included. Now seems there'll be a 2:1 ratio in the welcome 6K photo mode, isn't it? So, here we go even less squared than ever! :X

When we want to be literal or rigid, we risk to be confronted with our own side and our own fragilities; especially if we're just expecting the flow may occur only in one way and not the other way round :-)

22 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

Something like the LS300 Virtual Scan Mapping function would be great.

We can't know what's going there. Perhaps Luke could add anything on topic : P In any case, this announcement has already been a case study for marketeers. Their marketing à la RED will sell loads of pre-orders, at least in lots of minds here and everywhere.

RED born on dvxuser. The camera (DVX100) had been a hit. More than a decade ago, but already in plain digital age. Seems Panasonic guys haven't forget one of their best lessons. The fact is also here now, in this blog, is curious and funny at same time. Canon reps look like they don't give a damn but the other fact is, who has stolen the thunder, after all? The day before 5DIV hit the streets... Let alone the specs announced versus the gospel/reality according to Canon : D

So I know everyone wants to talk about how the GH5 should be as close to an Arri as possible, but I was really intrigued by the G80 announcement. I'm an armature, budget minded and not ashamed. The lack of a headphone socket is really annoying for the G80, but I already have a GH3 so I'm not too worried about that. The big question I have is if the 4k video is a crop of the sensor like the GH4 or if it is the same framing as the 1080p mode? Does anyone know? How do you expect the G80 video will compare to the GH3? I know some people said the G7 actually had better noise than the GH4... Besides the lack of a headphone jack, is there anything else I should be wary of from a camera like the G80? I've been really happy with my GH3 for what it is.

On 9/24/2016 at 10:39 AM, mrjonkane said:

That sums up exactly where I'm at @Cinegain ... wanting to step up to something in between a GH4/5 and an Alexa/Ursa/Terra that shoots raw 4K+ at high frame rates and I would think Panasonic if anyone could fill that gap perfectly. More expensive alternative I guess is to have GH5 for smaller jobs and get a Kinefinity Terra, perhaps they know for many that will still be the case and they're not losing customers anyway.

By the way here's an interesting comment from Veydra on why they stopped their anamorphic lens project... does that point to a multi aspect sensor on the GH5?

14441019_10209538806242352_2642216764629704279_n.jpg

Very interesting!!! That points to the GH5 sensor being a little bit wider than 2x crop? (with a multi aspect ratio sensor)
But I assumed in anamorphic mode it wouldn't be 16:9 (and thus wider), but instead 4:3

7 hours ago, Nathan Gabriel said:

So I know everyone wants to talk about how the GH5 should be as close to an Arri as possible, but I was really intrigued by the G80 announcement. I'm an armature, budget minded and not ashamed. The lack of a headphone socket is really annoying for the G80, but I already have a GH3 so I'm not too worried about that. The big question I have is if the 4k video is a crop of the sensor like the GH4 or if it is the same framing as the 1080p mode? Does anyone know? How do you expect the G80 video will compare to the GH3? I know some people said the G7 actually had better noise than the GH4... Besides the lack of a headphone jack, is there anything else I should be wary of from a camera like the G80? I've been really happy with my GH3 for what it is.

Check out the thread below for some spec comparison between the GX85 and G85 which is basically the same camera with better ergonomics etc. There's a and first look from B&H on the G85 which is very informative. 

Here's a video showing both noise and crop comparison between the GX85 and GH4. As you can see there is less crop in the GX85 and that's probably going to be the same or better on the G85. As for image quality I sold my GH4 when I got the GX85, but I will pick-up a GH5 as soon as it's released. 

3 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Check out the thread below for some spec comparison between the GX85 and G85 which is basically the same camera with better ergonomics etc. There's a and first look from B&H on the G85 which is very informative. 

Here's a video showing both noise and crop comparison between the GX85 and GH4. As you can see there is less crop in the GX85 and that's probably going to be the same or better on the G85. As for image quality I sold my GH4 when I got the GX85, but I will pick-up a GH5 as soon as it's released. 

This among other reasons is the reason that the GX85 should get a CineLike V and D. The colour science is seriously improved, and regardless of prices, the Panasonic GX85 is the top of the line Rangefinder design (as opposed to the DSLR design that the Panasonic G85 has, and the Panasonic the GX8 is an older camera, with a newer sensor, but no IBIS, shutter shock and very mediocre stabilization, so despite having a higher price, is therefore not a higher or more premium model). 

Panasonic should charge $99, if they don't want to give it for free. 

We should find a way to petition Panasonic more strongly. 

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20361-petition-for-log-video-profile-on-panasonic-gx85/#comment-155606

8 hours ago, sanveer said:

This among other reasons is the reason that the GX85 should get a CineLike V and D. The colour science is seriously improved, and regardless of prices, the Panasonic GX85 is the top of the line Rangefinder design (as opposed to the DSLR design that the Panasonic G85 has, and the Panasonic the GX8 is an older camera, with a newer sensor, but no IBIS, shutter shock and very mediocre stabilization, so despite having a higher price, is therefore not a higher or more premium model). 

Panasonic should charge $99, if they don't want to give it for free. 

We should find a way to petition Panasonic more strongly. 

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20361-petition-for-log-video-profile-on-panasonic-gx85/#comment-155606

Apparently the G80/G85 is going to have the Cinelike V & D:

See second paragraph under video tools:

https://***URL removed***/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-first-impressions-review/4

16 hours ago, Nathan Gabriel said:

Apparently the G80/G85 is going to have the Cinelike V & D:

See second paragraph under video tools:

https://***URL removed***/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-first-impressions-review/4

I know, I did read most of the specs of the Major Panasonic releases.

I am talking about the GX85, the Rangefinder version of the G/GH series minus the extra features of the GH series. Since the GX85 and G85 share pretty much most of the features (except weather sealing and a mic jack, and many not so major changes), there seems no reason not to have the CibeLike Profiles for the GX85.

5 hours ago, sanveer said:

I know, I did read most of the specs of the Major Panasonic releases.

I am talking about the GX85, the Rangefinder version of the G/GH series minus the extra features of the GH series. Since the GX85 and G85 share pretty much most of the features (except weather sealing and a mic jack, and many not so major changes), there seems no reason not to have the CibeLike Profiles for the GX85.

It'd certainly be cool if the GX85 got cinelike D, but I don't see why anyone who cared about video would buy it instead of the G85 that has the mic jack.

29 minutes ago, Nathan Gabriel said:

It'd certainly be cool if the GX85 got cinelike D, but I don't see why anyone who cared about video would buy it instead of the G85 that has the mic jack.

I don't see anyone, who cared about audio would record through any mirrorless' ADC/preamp. And even if they did, GX85 could be a great B cam which makes absence of common profiles even more regrettable. It's smaller and cheaper than G85.

12 minutes ago, zetty said:

I don't see anyone, who cared about audio would record through any mirrorless' ADC/preamp. And even if they did, GX85 could be a great B cam which makes absence of common profiles even more regrettable. It's smaller and cheaper than G85.

I think it would be cool to have it on the GX85, but I am in the camp that will likely get the G85, just because it does have these features like mic jack for Video. Sure, it is not outstanding quality, but for some things it will do (the same cannot be said for GX85 built in mic), and besides I can at least record a half decent sync track that would be easier to match with a recording from a dedicated recorder.

2 hours ago, Chris Santucci said:

Not really. The user buttons on the smaller GH4 are much easier to depress accidentally than with 5D, especially with the thumb while normally gripping the camera.

Not in my experience, at most I have accidentally pressed DISP on GH4, while on 5D I've pressed REC on and off at the most inappropriate times during run n gun shooting.

I think GH4 is the most ergonomically sound mirrorless/DSLR type camera for video shooting including the "mental ergonomics" of it -- there's no quirk that drives you crazy like with some others.. It's very solid throughout and it looks like GH5 has built on it, which is great.

Noise and resolution look better for sure. I'm not sure about the highlight roll off though. Look at the specular highlight on the marble. The GX85 looks burnt. Maybe it's a more contrasted picture profile?

On 9/28/2016 at 4:38 AM, Fredrik Lyhne said: