BM Micro Cinema Camera Field Monitor

Fil

First post here!

Have been hunting round for a field monitor for the micro cinema camera.

I'm wanting nothing larger than 5 inch screen and have been checking out ikan VL35, VL5e (is Portkeys the same but different buttons?)

Or perhaps BMs very own VA or Lilliput Q5.

Be good to know what others are using or any thoughts.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Depends. ;)

The Micro Cinema Camera records internally just fine, so it's a bit useless to get the Video Assist? Although it's a decent screen for framing. Recorder functionality might come in handy for dual/back-up recording and as well of course you could pair it up with some other cameras you might use from time to time.

If you really want monitoring features... I think you owe it to yourself to get something that's a dedicated monitor. I like Lilliput. I had the 663/O/P2 with some cool features, but it just was too big and too heavy so I ended up using it very little. Have just gotten the Q5 in the other day! I love the size (btw, it's 5.5")! Haven't gotten around to play much with it yet as I've been way busy working these last 6 days, basically just unboxed it to see how it looks and what was included, so uh... can't tell you that much quite yet. Need to charge some batteries and hook it up when I find the time.

Think the Ikan is a valid option... especially if you care for size. Or maybe score a SmallHD from the used market, not sure what those would do? If you want something dirt cheap, on AliExpress you can find the VIltrox DC-50 (what's that? You think it looks a whole lot like the Sony CLM-V55? Hum. I don't know, I don't see it :grimace: ). Of course, you can also go for (compared to the Q5) less sexy Lilliput 569. Or Feelworld A5, FW5D, or MustHD... Bestview or what have you.

I'm probably sounding like a broken record but I like the SmallHD 501. I think for "monitor only" it is amazing. It has all the tools one could need and it's build solidly. It's pricier but I don't expect to have to replace it for a long, long time. Just wish I had gotten the 502 with the SDI ports, but the 501 was on offer for nearly 30% off.

it also takes the LP-E6 batteries which is neat to pair with the BMMCC.

Cinegain and Phil A, many thanks for both your replies.

Cinegain I would appreciate hearing your take on the Lilliput Q5, the specs/functionality seem good.

Phil A, yes the SmallHD is amongst the best 5 inch monitors.

My concern is bright conditions outside and how usable monitors are...is a loupe unavoidable?