New Camera advice

sqm

Hey Guys,

i need a new camera.

Sold my a7s because of colors and handling.

Now i want a bad ass stills camera that does good video as well.

No need for awesome 4k yet because im an 50/60p shooter. (working a lot with slow mo)

For serious work i use my bmmcc.

I think my options are:

D750 - but the succsessor is around the corner?

D500 - you guys don liked it that much for video

M5 - we will see how good the 1080p will be

Any other impressions?

Dont like the m43 suff.

I will wait after Photokina maybe we will see a surprise from Nikon, but i don´t think so

Budged is around 2000€ for the body.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Also i wont buy into a dead camera system :D

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

D750 indeed seems top pick. Not sure about a successor... is it due/are there any rumors? Haven't heard anything, think it's on year 2 of a 3 years cycle.

M5 looks alright, actually. Although then you'd probably want to get the EOS-M lenses to match and then you're stuck to it. Maybe D5500 until that D750 successor comes out makes a little more sense?

Sony/Samsung/Panasonic have the better slowmo options, but you've ruled 'em out already! :D

Wildcard choice: Fujifilm X-T2.

I have a D750 and I like it a lot. I've considered getting another to accompany it, but then there's the D500, so my question is similar to yours, but not quite, since there's a big advantage to having two cameras set up the same. I'm betting the next significant Nikon successor will be for the D810 - possibly more MPs and with 4k, but no articulating screen, and considerably more expensive than current D750 prices. So with an eye to getting very good value I think there's a lot to be said for getting a slightly long-in-the-tooth camera that does what it does very well. If I wanted anything more from the D750 for general stills and for 1080p corporate videos and event recording it would be... well, I can't really think of anything much at all. So, as a value proposition, my money would be on a secondhand D750, which means that if, by chance, a new camera comes out with a bit more x factor, you could do the upgrade without any great loss. As Thom Hogan points out in his D750 review, its a bit of a Goldilocks Nikon Fx: Just right. YMMV depending on need, of course.

On 9/14/2016 at 10:40 PM, sqm said:

D750 - but the succsessor is around the corner?

Good! As it means it is going for very cheap prices lately.
Plus while the D750 mk2 might be released in a few months time, it also... might not be released in the next two years!! It is hard to know for sure.

On 9/14/2016 at 10:40 PM, sqm said:

D500 - you guys don liked it that much for video

It is the best DX camera on the planet for stills, and does good video just not up to the spec sheet of the a7S mk2 etc

9 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

The best hybrid camera...

...depends on a lot of factors unique to each user. A7RII: Au $4.5k body only, ouch. Battery life: hmmm. Buffer clearance: oh well. Some queries around certain handling aspects, including menu arrangement and buttons. Otherwise looks impressive. As a harbinger, the Sonys look ominous for other manufacturers.

Another D750 fan here.

Fabulous stills camera with very capable autofocus and amazing DR. I was musing the other day that it is a better camera than the pro D3s I had a few years ago that was something like 3/4 times the price.

As a video camera loads to love as well. Clean, attractive image that is easy to work with. 60p looks good. Handling and battery life both excellent. Something else that people seem to rarely comment on is that price wise it is a total bargain.