Canon EOS M5: full pictures and spec

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I have to say, I'm quite interested in this camera for stills and personal video stuff. 

Not bothered about the lack of 4k. 1080p is perfectly fine for a long while yet. 

Nah, for me it's not. Since july this year I don't even have any HD screen at home or work, lol.

Watching HD material is fine with proper upscaling through madvr, as long as it isn't Canon HD (most Canon DSLRs don't even resolve full SD resolution in 1080p...)

Color is not a problem for me. Never had any problems grading Sony, Panasonic, RED, Canon, ARRI or other footage.

49 minutes ago, Lintelfilm said:

Does anyone have experience of using any of the EOS-M cameras with the official EF adapter? (presumably it's actually an EF-S adapter, right?). How does it work for AF, IS, etc? How secure is the fit?

Yes.

Everything works as normal, fit is tight, obviously AF is slower than a mirrored body.

I'm going to build a custom EF-M speed booster soon with a Lens Turbo ii and the EF adapter combined. Will post it up here when I'm done, I just got another original M for 100bucks new after my first finally died, such a good priced camera.

4 hours ago, tugela said:

It is not technically easy. If it was they would have done it. The hardware can't do it without a fan in the camera or using bit rate heavy storage.

About $300-350 is what it is worth.

What are you talking about? Canon's HD bit rates in DSLRs is relatively low.

And pretty much all of it looks worse than downsized 4K.

According to BH specs the 80D shoots at 90Mbps. 

1 hour ago, Lintelfilm said:

Does anyone have experience of using any of the EOS-M cameras with the official EF adapter? (presumably it's actually an EF-S adapter, right?). How does it work for AF, IS, etc? How secure is the fit?

I haven't used one, but I think ef lenses will work with the adapter as well 

9 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

As said elsewhere, Canon in late 2016 is less or at most equal to Samsung in late 2013 (with NX30). We can only hope that in few more years (say 2-3) they'll have a mirrorless product comparable with NX1. And in other 2-3 (that's 4-6 from now) something that will be better than NX1.

There will never, ever be a camera as capable as the NX1. I know because you come to every thread about a new camera and remind us. 

4 hours ago, tugela said:

It is not technically easy. If it was they would have done it. The hardware can't do it without a fan in the camera or using bit rate heavy storage.

It is easy. They just protect their cinema line. 4K is everywhere from phone to APSC mirorless to FF now. Just canon doesn't do it.

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

There will never, ever be a camera as capable as the NX1. I know because you come to every thread about a new camera and remind us. 

Mercer, I never said that. For now, there is not, but that does not mean that it will never be. As I said, perhaps canon will have one in few years from now. I am indeed looking at both canon and nikon, hoping they'll create one decent nx1 replacement, for when I'll need it.

I guess your post did not add much to the discussion about m5, anyway.

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

I'm more concerned that EF-S lenses work with it. EF-S mount is able to take EF and EF-S lenses. Third party EF adapters, EF Speed Boosters, EF mount cameras, etc, have trouble with Canon's own EF-S lenses because the mount is proprietary. That's also why 3rd party APSC lenses - like the Sigma ART zooms - work fine with Speed Boosters etc - they are EF mount not EF-S

7 minutes ago, Lintelfilm said:

I'm more concerned that EF-S lenses work with it. EF-S mount is able to take EF and EF-S lenses. Third party EF adapters, EF Speed Boosters, EF mount cameras, etc, have trouble with Canon's own EF-S lenses because the mount is proprietary. That's also why 3rd party APSC lenses - like the Sigma ART zooms - work fine with Speed Boosters etc - they are EF mount not EF-S

I already said above - It works fine.

20 minutes ago, Lintelfilm said:

Do you have the 17-55mm too?

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

According to canon rumors, the M5 will have more AF Points than any other camera. It will also feature touchscreen focus while looking through the EVF. 

This is exactly what I want from a canon stills camera. 

I have loads of EF lenses but can't use them to their full potential for stills on Sony. 

18 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

This is exactly what I want from a canon stills camera. 

I have loads of EF lenses but can't use them to their full potential for stills on Sony. 

Yeah, this camera seems more and more appealing with every spec. I've honestly never used, nor own an ef lens, but with the DPAF and focus points, I am seriously considering getting one. I was thinking about a constant f4 zoom, but the 35mm f2 IS sounds a little more practical for my purposes. Canon has some refurbished ones on sale. 

4 hours ago, mercer said:

Do you have the 17-55mm too?

No. I decided to go with the Sigma Art zooms and the Canon STM zooms as a complete lens kit. That way it's always a clear choice - image or pragmatism. If I had the 17-55 I'd always be conflicted. If I could only have one set of lenses it'd be the Canon 17-55 and 70-200 f/2.8