EOSHD C-LOG

Andrew Reid

Short test of the new C-log profile in differentes situations of light and contrast. Graded only with Filmconvert using c300 log profile.
This was a very first attempt and was a real production for a wedding video but I push Iso to 3200 without problem and even in 12.800 noise is better than prolost profile. Being a log profile skintones work great.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, Liam said:

Sorry, maybe wasn't very clear. Both of those are Andrew's clog. The one labeled "clog ungraded" was a frame from t3i video, the other is a jpeg photo.

Ahh ...OK, still like the 'clogungraded' better than the Jpeg photo ....even if the share the same exact grade from beginning to end ;)

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Christina Ava said:

thanks andrew i downloaded them and will test them out on my vacation! gracie mille!

Sweeet! What camera will you be shooting with?

32 minutes ago, FredericRecki said:

I seem to have the same problem but with a 1DX II. The camera and the utility are up to date. 

Use EOS Utility 3.

They are PF3 files not PF2.

I will say the results look fantastic. Has there been confirmation if this will work with the eos-m?

2 hours ago, Pedro Knigge said:

Short test of the new C-log profile in differentes situations of light and contrast. Graded only with Filmconvert using c300 log profile.
This was a very first attempt and was a real production for a wedding video but I push Iso to 3200 without problem and even in 12.800 noise is better than prolost profile. Being a log profile skintones work great.

I really like this look. Which Canon camera did you use?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I will say the results look fantastic. Has there been confirmation if this will work with the eos-m?

I really like this look. Which Canon camera did you use?

Was Canon 6D, I have a Eos M1, I can try and if works I let you know!

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I works! I just installed, I will try to make some test when have time.

eosm clog.jpg

7 minutes ago, Pedro Knigge said:

Thanks a lot, Pedro. I have the m1, and an XC10. The M3 had a few extras (focus peaking, IS, tilting screen) so it could be a great complement to the Canon Log in the XC10 if Andrew's profile matches well. Of course, the eos-m5 is supposed to be announced sometime next week, so I would hold off to see what the new model offers... DPAF, 60p and hopefully 4K... but doubtful.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Pedro Knigge said:

I works! I just installed, I will try to make some test when have time.

eosm clog.jpg

Great to see it working on the EOS M cameras as well.

I have just tested it on a Canon 80D. Liked the results so much I bought one.

IMG_7995.JPG

Also Magic Lantern are developing for the 80D right now.

Until there's RAW though, there's C-LOG and small files sizes :)

Thanks for this. I bought it today, not yet tested properly but already noticed less noise than CineStyle in shadows (Canon 70D).

I was thinking about upgrade on 80D, however... Moiré is still horrible. Only one things that makes 80D better than 70D (for me) is better dynamic range and 1080p/60FPS. But still no "real" gamma logs, no 4K... and that damned horrible moiré!!! Agh... I'll probably buy used 5D3. Or switch to Sony... a6300 maybe?

Really great job, Andrew.  Bought it yesterday, I never thought it would be this easy to match my 5D mkii and C100!  A serious thanks for your time and effort.  

Question though, I have been playing around with different cLog settings on my C100, including lowering the master pedal and black point while keeping the superwhites to spread out the data as much as possible along the 256 steps of 8bit, and I really feel like I am getting better results than the raised blacks of the original cLog.  Lowering the blacks increases the tonal gradation thus reducing banding.  Have you considered doing something similar with your cLog picture style?  Do you feel that the raised black point is necessary to reduce shadow noise?  Or do you think that there would be a benefit to have more tonal steps even if there is slightly more noise?  I don't know how it would be with Canon's dslr's but I have definitely benefited from maximizing the tonal range with my C100.  Granted, I have to do some slight contrast and exposure adjustments to the footage before applying a C-Log lut, but it is minimal.  

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I how cinematic this shot looks.

You used one of the EOSHD CINE LUTs from the pack to grade it right?

If so that cinematic mix of cool blue and warm tones in this shot were exactly the look I was aiming for with that LUT... Without C-LOG, if it had been shot with CineStyle, the colours and contrast just wouldn't have had the same feel. So I'm mega excited to see that the C-LOG profile and EOSHD CINE LUTs are working this well even on a 60D. Proof it works across the board.

PS - the LUT you used was developed with footage shot in 4K on my 1D C using the real Canon LOG! Amazing that you can apply it to my custom C-LOG profile on a 60D and have it look the same - Canon's colour science is really well standardised across cameras and it is just lovely to look at.

@Andrew Reid actually I didn't :(. I did however used your cine3 lut first since I was able to color correct it faster than tackling the log profile. You have made a bold statement about Canon's colour science being standardized, and guess what, I do agree with that statement. Shot it along the 6D and all I did while shooting was white balance and make sure my neutral grey ire was between 50-55. There the look I got was very uniform and only the slightest hint of more shadow detail with the bigger brother. I was set on getting the GH5 with the 60D being my dedicated stills since I have quite a bit of glass on the Canon system, and now I'm going to still buy the GH5 if the rumors are true but continue to use my 60D if I want to carry minimal amount of gear, like location scouting.