EOSHD C-LOG

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

Hi @Andrew,

Does your C-Log maps the colors of the "Canon LOG" other than the gamma curve?

thx

No, the colour science and highlight roll-off are not replicable with picture profiles. If you observe Andrew's comparison pic, you will notice the colours are mapped differently on real C-log, and not just a saturation difference, red is less orange and blue has less magenta. Adam Wilt did a comparison between C-log colour science and Alexa colour science, there were some similarities.

• Administrators

Although obviously I don't have access to Canon's trade secrets with regards to colour re-mapping for a LOG curve, I did make some nice adjustments to colour in C-LOG using hue, saturation and luminosity values on a six colour axis, and am very pleased with the results.

On the 1D C in some situations I actually find I prefer the colour from EOSHD C-LOG over official Canon LOG.

Downloaded and installed on my 6D... The image definitely LOOKS like C-log out of the camera, the issue is grading it.  I haven't been able to get the flat image to 'pop', even with the luts.  Not anything like grading true C-log from C100 or 1DC.  I wasn't expecting much given the low bitrate 420 and how shit the video quality in this camera is, but have been considering the 5D IV... Question is: given the 5D will use the same compression as 1 DC - have you been able to grade the EOSHD CLog as easily out of the 1DC as with the actual Canon C-log, is the same amount of DR present?

purchased for my t3i just on the off chance it would work alright that compressed. or i could have some fun in jpeg and see what a 1dc would be like when i get one in 50 years. but actually liking it a lot! was comparing to my dialed flat profile and "vivid skin tones" (which is also really nice, though i think it may white balance oddly, a few kelvin clicks differently than anything else). enjoyed grading it more than my dialed flat profile by far. still can't get that file as nice. Thanks Andrew!

Artifacts, but maybe no more than usual on this thing... (also, there's an actual pattern there in the out of focus area that looks like banding I think)

posting an ungraded jpeg too, in case that helps anyone. a little closer to one of the 4k camera images maybe

hope my smile brightens some people's days

clog graded.png

clog ungraded.png

IMG_5033.JPG

26 minutes ago, Liam said:

purchased for my t3i just on the off chance it would work alright that compressed. or i could have some fun in jpeg and see what a 1dc would be like when i get one in 50 years. but actually liking it a lot! was comparing to my dialed flat profile and "vivid skin tones" (which is also really nice, though i think it may white balance oddly, a few kelvin clicks differently than anything else). enjoyed grading it more than my dialed flat profile by far. still can't get that file as nice. Thanks Andrew!

Artifacts, but maybe no more than usual on this thing... (also, there's an actual pattern there in the out of focus area that looks like banding I think)

posting an ungraded jpeg too, in case that helps anyone. a little closer to one of the 4k camera images maybe

Try lighting the shot without the computer screen, or balance the computer screen light with the room practicals; otherwise it's going to be a nightmare to grade. Much easier to fix these things in pre. :grin:

4 minutes ago, squig said:

Try lighting the shot without the computer screen, or balance the computer screen light with the room practicals; otherwise it's going to be a nightmare to grade. Much easier to fix these things in pre. :grin:

agreed, but i spent like 3 minutes with it, and the others were in the same setup. if it was day, i'd have scooted 2 foot over to the window

• Administrators
9 hours ago, alvinlu said:

Tried this on my Canon 60D w/ Sigma 18-35, and I didn't check for focus. Sorry please forgive my rookie mistake. Shot internally and it held up quite better than I imagined. Remember using CineStyle when it first came out and never got the look I wanted consistently.

cloggrade.png

I how cinematic this shot looks.

You used one of the EOSHD CINE LUTs from the pack to grade it right?

If so that cinematic mix of cool blue and warm tones in this shot were exactly the look I was aiming for with that LUT... Without C-LOG, if it had been shot with CineStyle, the colours and contrast just wouldn't have had the same feel. So I'm mega excited to see that the C-LOG profile and EOSHD CINE LUTs are working this well even on a 60D. Proof it works across the board.

PS - the LUT you used was developed with footage shot in 4K on my 1D C using the real Canon LOG! Amazing that you can apply it to my custom C-LOG profile on a 60D and have it look the same - Canon's colour science is really well standardised across cameras and it is just lovely to look at.

I bought it for the 80D.  Partyly due to the fact that I enjoy being part of this community and I'm happy to contribute in some way.  As for the camera profile, I think it's a good tool for people looking to use LUTs already made for C-Log because they like a certain color profile.  And in the right light, I'm sure it'll perform just as well as C-Log.  But in very harsh light where 12-13 stops of dynamic range and a log profile comes in handy, it probably won't offer any more dynamic range than something like Technicolor Cinestyle which offers very little gain in dynamic range.

Overall though, I just got the 80D 2 weeks ago, I really like the Canon video quality especially the skin tones.  In any lighting, if you set the exposure properly, the skin always looks fantastic.  I've amassed quite the collection of Canon profiles.  Cinestyle, VisionTech, Cinema PP.  I'm happy to add this one to the list.

7 hours ago, Liam said:

Well at least this day as it's a nice escape when I get stuck with my work.

clog_grade_01.jpg

clog_grade_02.jpg

Both have the same grade. The grade was based on the 'flat' one and later applied to the "Clog" version. Both lips and skintone look better on the "Clog" version imo.

18 minutes ago, bunk said:

Well at least this day as it's a nice escape when I get stuck with my work.

Both have the same grade. The grade was based on the 'flat' one and later applied to the "Clog" version. Both lips and skintone look better on the "Clog" version imo.

Sorry, maybe wasn't very clear. Both of those are Andrew's clog. The one labeled "clog ungraded" was a frame from t3i video, the other is a jpeg photo.