EOSHD C-LOG

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

VERY similar dynamic range benefit to Canon LOG.

Did a test today on the 1D C, a very contrasty scene, the white building was extremely brightly lit in the midday sun.

Ungraded frame grabs from DCI 4K...

Official Canon LOG:

canon-log.jpg

C-LOG:

eoshd-c-log-dr.jpg

Looks like I will be getting a 1D X Mark II after all!!

Did you take a RAW image of the scene and check if you could grade back to similar result, i.e. could you get e vivid or punch look? Is it enough color info in the files?

Honest question - I'd buy this pack immediately but is this even worth it for the 80D? I was thinking about something like this but fear it will just turn the footage into a noisy mess. 

Phillip Bloom posted a very similar post a few days ago. I asked the same question with the answer that the 80D probably won't be able to handle it. 

Andrew, what GREAT products. Honestly, I can't seem to download the files for the 80d, but the download worked great for my 1dC. NOW, I have C-log on the 1dC with Auto focus----fantastic!!! Thank you so much. And the LUTS you made for LUTS are beautiful--lovely and useful. 

I had been so frustrated that Canon Log on the 1dC didn't have an AF option, but now you've solved that and included what seems to me three great LUTS.

The Vivid Skin tone is GORGEOUS, requiring only small tweaks in exposure for publication...and the colors!!! I also like Scarlett a lot.  I wish I could replace several of the Canon standard custom profiles with your monochrome--which is beautiful---and the other files.  Awesome! Log with AF out of the 1dC---and three great LUTS. Thank you so much.

Hi!

Bought this on an impulse when i saw the price but I have to say I have never shot or worked with log before. Today is a good day to start :)

I have been looking around for guides how to expose and general workflow but they all seem to need a grey card or some other tools. Can I shoot run and gun style with log or does everything has to be carefully setup?

Also read on another site that log has no advantages in low light situations and that one is better off shooting in rec709 to get a more useable image. I thought that since log is going to bring up the shadows there would be more detail but it seems that's not true, so I'd like having others thoughts on that.

4 hours ago, dvcrn said:

Honest question - I'd buy this pack immediately but is this even worth it for the 80D? I was thinking about something like this but fear it will just turn the footage into a noisy mess. 

Phillip Bloom posted a very similar post a few days ago. I asked the same question with the answer that the 80D probably won't be able to handle it. 

Just bumping this again in the hope anyone can answer this :)

18 minutes ago, dvcrn said:

Just bumping this again in the hope anyone can answer this :)

I am 99% sure you will be able to download them via the EOS utility to the Canon 80. However its still up for jugdement if they help getting a better frame. If you look at my video, I get better results with standard picture style. I am not able to get the green color back of the grass using clog and out & grading, but with standard I am. But I may have done something wrong, so you should wait for other testers. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Asmundma said:

I am 99% sure you will be able to download them via the EOS utility to the Canon 80. However its still up for jugdement if they help getting a better frame. If you look at my video, I get better results with standard picture style. I am not able to get the green color back of the grass using clog and out & grading, but with standard I am. But I may have done something wrong, so you should wait for other testers. 

Some friendly advice:

The bright patch of grass isn't green because it is overexposed.

Since C-LOG raises the shadows, you should have exposed for the highlights and the dark areas would have been recoverable in post. Once the grass is burnt it's gone.

I don't agree you got the better results with the standard picture profile - the grass is fucked on that too.

Have fun!

6 hours ago, dvcrn said:

It's definitely worth trying on the 80D. It won't be a noisy mess if you expose correctly and keep the ISO under control - i.e. 100 for a high dynamic range scene (bright light) and no higher than 1600 in low light.

No the image won't be as good as 4K but, hey, it is the 80D we're talking about not a 1D X Mark II.

If anyone would like to post the original files for me to grade, I can show you the best way to grade each camera.

6 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Andrew, what GREAT products. Honestly, I can't seem to download the files for the 80d, but the download worked great for my 1dC. NOW, I have C-log on the 1dC with Auto focus----fantastic!!! Thank you so much. And the LUTS you made for LUTS are beautiful--lovely and useful. 

I had been so frustrated that Canon Log on the 1dC didn't have an AF option, but now you've solved that and included what seems to me three great LUTS.

The Vivid Skin tone is GORGEOUS, requiring only small tweaks in exposure for publication...and the colors!!! I also like Scarlett a lot.  I wish I could replace several of the Canon standard custom profiles with your monochrome--which is beautiful---and the other files.  Awesome! Log with AF out of the 1dC---and three great LUTS. Thank you so much.

Thanks for the kind remarks. Did you mean 1D X Mark II with auto-focus though? You're replacing your 1D C with a 1D X Mark II right?

5 hours ago, Dave Del Real said:

Am I supposed to ETTR? Getting artifacts in the shadows (actually worse on my Ninja2 than internal 7D2 - could be something wrong with my Ninja2).

Yes ETTR (expose to the right), but you have the choice to protect the highlights - don't go so far to the right that you blow out important areas of the frame.

If you under expose a LOG image it looks crap (as we see from so much of the Sony S-LOG 2 footage out there).

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Some friendly advice:

The bright patch of grass isn't green because it is overexposed.

Since C-LOG raises the shadows, you should have exposed for the highlights and the dark areas would have been recoverable in post. Once the grass is burnt it's gone.

I don't agree you got the better results with the standard picture profile - the grass is fucked on that too.

Have fun!

Looks ok to me.

dog00086401.jpg

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Thanks for the kind remarks. Did you mean 1D X Mark II with auto-focus though? You're replacing your 1D C with a 1D X Mark II right?

No. I mean the 1dC. With my 1dC in Canon C-log there is no AF. There is no one push auto focus. Manual focus is your only option. AF is disabled when you go to Canon Log. Your C-Log, in contrast, doesn't disable Auto Focus, so the one push focus is retained. I use manual focus most of the time, but sometimes the "one push" AF is really necessary--otherwise forget getting the shot. So, your C-log is really helpful, and the LUTS for it are lovely--knocked me out how beautiful the colors are.

• Administrators

The grass shot still looks buggered...

I would have exposed it very differently and the white balance is clearly wrong for daylight.

36 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

No. I mean the 1dC. With my 1dC in Canon C-log there is no AF. There is no one push auto focus. Manual focus is your only option. AF is disabled when you go to Canon Log. Your C-Log, in contrast, doesn't disable Auto Focus, so the one push focus is retained. I use manual focus most of the time, but sometimes the "one push" AF is really necessary--otherwise forget getting the shot. So, your C-log is really helpful, and the LUTS for it are lovely--knocked me out how beautiful the colors are.

Ah I see what you mean! Good idea about one-shot push focus.

40 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The grass shot still looks buggered...

I would have exposed it very differently and the white balance is clearly wrong for daylight.

Ah I see what you mean! Good idea about one-shot push focus.

Thanks for the comments. Could be wrong regarding the white balance, yes. I used AWB, so the camera decided. However the RGB looks balanced, but the vector scope is not. I checked the histogram before shooting and there was no clipping as far as I could see, but maybe i should have lowered the exposure even more. 

By the way, this is then opposite to slog for Sony as there one shall shoot 1-2 stops lighter ? 

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

VERY similar dynamic range benefit to Canon LOG.

Did a test today on the 1D C, a very contrasty scene, the white building was extremely brightly lit in the midday sun.

Ungraded frame grabs from DCI 4K...

Official Canon LOG:

canon-log.jpg

C-LOG:

eoshd-c-log-dr.jpg

Looks like I will be getting a 1D X Mark II after all!!

In fact they look quite similar in term of DR.

Your custom one seems to have more saturation because the reds and magentas are more saturated that the original, did you have the same saturation dialed in?