EOSHD C-LOG

Andrew Reid

I wondered what others thought of combining EOS-HD C-Log with Highlight Tone Priority (D+) on the 1DX Mark ii?

I have been testing it in very low light (with highlights in the scene) and the Highlight Tone Priority (D+) recovers a considerable amount in the highlights, that are overexposed with the D+ turned off.  There is a little more noise in the shadows, but not a huge amount.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 05/09/2016 at 3:34 AM, mercer said:

I purchased the profile and the LUTS. I haven't had a chance to load them onto a camera yet, but I did test the LUTS on Canon LOG 1080p footage from my XC10. They work pretty well. Cine 3 is definitely my favorite so far.

Ungraded Canon LOG from XC10...

XC10 - eoshd - no lut.jpg

XC10 with Cine 3 LUT, no other adjustment...

XC10 - eoshd - Cine 3 LUT.jpg

Now I need to do a test with a Canon DSLR to see if I can match the look of the XC10 Canon LOG with the EOSHD C-LOG. If so, this opens up a couple opportunities for a 2 camera set up. The XC10 for general shots... the meat and potatoes of a shoot, and a DSLR for any close up requiring shallow depth.

Hello did the software load up OK with the XC 10 utility? Any 4k to share yet?  Thanks......

2 hours ago, BLACKOUT said:

Hello did the software load up OK with the XC 10 utility? Any 4k to share yet?  Thanks......

Hi, that footage was Canon's official Log profile with one of Andrew's LUTS that comes with his package. I did not load Andrew's Log Profile onto the XC10... unsure if you can.

Although I really loved the camera, it cost a little too much for me, and depreciated in value a little too quickly, so I ended up selling it. I do have some 4K footage from it on one of my hard drives somewhere. 

18 hours ago, mercer said:

Hi, that footage was Canon's official Log profile with one of Andrew's LUTS that comes with his package. I did not load Andrew's Log Profile onto the XC10... unsure if you can.

Although I really loved the camera, it cost a little too much for me, and depreciated in value a little too quickly, so I ended up selling it. I do have some 4K footage from it on one of my hard drives somewhere. 

Hello,bought one extremely good price with full warranty and not grey import so for a daylight camera I'm more than happy.Really will have to put it back out to the forum community if the LUTS Andrews  load into the xc10.  Thanks for your reply

On 02/09/2016 at 8:43 AM, Andrew Reid said:

The EOS-M should do! If you like, try it and if it doesn't install I'll give you the $10 back.

Not sure about the XC10. The XC10 already has Canon LOG anyway. I don't think it has the compatibility with Canon EOS Utility to pass the picture profile data over USB to the camera.

Great. Looking forward to seeing what your results are like.

Any luck on getting your LUTS into a xc 10?   Thanks....

On 1/8/2017 at 2:19 PM, Jonathan Warner said:

I wondered what others thought of combining EOS-HD C-Log with Highlight Tone Priority (D+) on the 1DX Mark ii?

I have been testing it in very low light (with highlights in the scene) and the Highlight Tone Priority (D+) recovers a considerable amount in the highlights, that are overexposed with the D+ turned off.  There is a little more noise in the shadows, but not a huge amount.

Very interesting. I've been thinking of this myself. Can you show us any examples, or sample footage? I don't own a canon myself right now although I'm toying with the idea of getting a 1DX mkii.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey there I don't know if you guys saw this, but it seems Canon will definitely try to improve video on the 5d mkIV :

http://www.canonrumors.com/c-log-coming-to-eos-5d-mark-iv-confirmed-cr3/

The addition of c-log is really interesting, but what's really caught my attention is this sentence : "There has been another suggestion that Canon has been actively looking at ways to “improve” the 4K video capture crop on the EOS 5D Mark IV". I don't know how they plan to "improve" it (reduce it?), but we'll see that in near future for sure.

Even though i purchased EOS HD C-log, I think it's great to see Canon tryin' to give us more options.

Hello, my c-log on my eos 5d mark ii isn´t working with magic lantern. Bitrate isn´t working. Bitrate with c-log is only the half. With cinestyle it works well. i´ve shot the same object with c-log and technicolor cinestyle. also i can see a lot of brackets in the material with c-log. with cinestyle there are a lot of more details. What could be the problem?

I hope, you can see it in the pictures? First picture of both is cinestyle. The detailpicture is c-log. 

Regards

Carsten

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-28 um 13.18.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-28 um 13.17.58.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-28 um 13.16.00.png

On 3/28/2017 at 4:26 AM, zoomart said:

Hello, my c-log on my eos 5d mark ii isn´t working with magic lantern. Bitrate isn´t working. Bitrate with c-log is only the half. With cinestyle it works well. i´ve shot the same object with c-log and technicolor cinestyle. also i can see a lot of brackets in the material with c-log. with cinestyle there are a lot of more details. What could be the problem?

I hope, you can see it in the pictures? First picture of both is cinestyle. The detailpicture is c-log. 

Regards

Carsten

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-28 um 13.18.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-28 um 13.17.58.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-28 um 13.16.00.png

That's weird, I get the full 45 bitrate on my 60D although that will be soon be obsolete once my 5D Mark IV arrives. Heard a lot of rumours it'll gain 1.3x crop factor for 4K along with C-LOG from Canon. Maybe roll back on a couple iterations of ML since the latest nightly builds do have hiccups

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Posting a movie showing a comparison between EOSHD C-log created by Andrew Reid and original Canon C-log. Reid's C-log can be loaded into any Canon DSLR.

In shooting I used the C-log in the XC-15 and EOSHD C-log shot with the 80D. Both clips are hand graded, and they are graded with a LUT (C-log to Rec 709).

How similar do you think the results are?

https://vimeo.com/218753403

I am using the EOSHD C-log and find it a slight improvement over Cinestyle on the EOS M system. However, what I worry about is the fact that the style clips the highlights to the point where the histograms in ML never indicate overexposure. How do you guys expose properly with this style (without switching back and forth between different picture styles)?