A question for A7R II owners regarding new firmware and AF

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I have an A7S II and sold my A7R II. It was a close call though.

Now I know recently the A7R II had a big firmware update (v3) mentioning phase detect AF in movie mode and other improvements. A7S II is only V2 and it doesn't have phase detect AF on the sensor like A7R II.

A7R II was already very fast in stills mode even with some Canon lenses.

Now also the Metabones adapter has had a big firmware update adding native AF support - which should mean a huge increase in AF performance with Canon EF lenses on Sony E-mount cameras and extra features like Eye AF, DMF and better movie mode AF.

Has anyone tried both firmware updates together, with their Canon lenses on the A7R II... Does it amount to a big improvement and more solid AF reliability? Usable in movie mode too?

With the 5D Mark IV's only real selling point being the native EF mount and Dual Pixel AF, the better the situation gets on the Sony bodies, the happier I will be!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Metabones say "native contrast detect AF" but I detect no improvement on the A7S II, it's still unusable with my Canon glass for any AF work in stills mode and video racking forget about it

However very curious to see if their native mode works well on the A7R II!

It works well on my A6300... Very well indeed!