Metabones Speedbooster EF on MFT - manual override?

jase

Canon EF Lenses tend to have this awesome feature called manual override, where you can set the lens to AF and still grab the focus wheel to manually adjust AF - something similar Olympus offers with its S-AF+MF mode. Unfortunately, Panasonic does not offer such a mode: so either you set the camera to MF with the ability to use the AF/AE Lock button for AF - quite akward - or you set it to AF, but then you cant do any MF.

So i am interested whether the metabones speedbooster for canon ef gives this S-AF+MF mode known from olympus to Panasonic cameras? E.g. can I set the camera to AF-S and still do a manual focus simply by turning the focus wheel or does the manual override not work with the speedbooster?

• 1 month later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Panasonic does have an AF+MF option which if turned ON allows you to fine tune with manual focus after autofocus.

There are 3 types of EF lenses.

The "fly-by-wire" includes all Canon STM lenses and a handful of Canon USM, most notably the EF 85/1.2L (both I and II). With Metabones you set AF+MF on Panasonic and S-AF+MF on Olympus as you would with a genuine Micro Four Thirds lens.

The legacy have the focus ring locked if AF/MF is at the AF position. But if you flick the switch to MF, nothing else stops you from turning the focusing ring and trip the shutter.

The vast majority of EF lenses have full-time manual (FTM). Again, nothing stops you from turning the focusing ring and trip the shutter, regardless of camera settings, and you may do so even without flipping the AF/MF switch.

The AF+MF option is under the "Gear C" tab of the menus.

I just tried both a Lumix lens and a Canon 50/1.8 STM on my GX85. In both cases, you will have to keep the shutter half-pressed for manual focus to work, in video mode. This is because the camera lets you manual focus only while AF is locked. It is easy to see that if the camera keeps on autofocusing continuously and you manually intervene, AF and MF are only fighting with each other. But with AF lock, the camera temporarily pauses adjusting focus so you may adjust focus manually.

Thanks, yet this is stressing my fingers, having to press the shutter button all the time half pressed while focusing with the other hand. Based on your statements I assume that using a lens like the Canon 35mm F2.0 IS with manual override doesnt change that, right? E.g. i have to press the shutter button all the time half way, otherwise the MF wheel has no effect (or I have to lock the AF after using it)? If yes, I hope Panasonic will use the S-AF/MF implementation somewhere in time where i can press the AF button during recording all the time to get AF, yet be able to turn the focus wheel at any time without having to press the shutter button or stuff like that.

As I mentioned, the vast majority of EF lenses are FTM - you just turn the focus ring, and it will change distance, even without electricity. But without half-pressing, AF remains active while you are doing that, and AF/MF fights with each other. The easiest setting is to simply turn OFF 'Continuous AF' under the video menu. AF won't get activated until you half-press the shutter. Then you select an FTM lens - 35/2 IS is one of those.

8 hours ago, conurus said:

As I mentioned, the vast majority of EF lenses are FTM - you just turn the focus ring, and it will change distance, even without electricity. But without half-pressing, AF remains active while you are doing that, and AF/MF fights with each other. The easiest setting is to simply turn OFF 'Continuous AF' under the video menu. AF won't get activated until you half-press the shutter. Then you select an FTM lens - 35/2 IS is one of those.

Ah, i see. This would be heaven to me, thanks for the info!