Photokina 2016 preview and summary of the year in video so far

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sony RX10 and RX100 all have shutters and ND filters. 

The FS700 can take stills:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs700-cinealta/508365-fs700-stills-mode.html

So? A little doubtful it is a dealbreaker for an ND, but if it is, so what, just make it purely electronic shutter for the videographers focused GH5R with an ND built in!

RX10 and RX100 are 1" sensors with built-in lenses. No bayonet mount and release mechanisms, or electrical contacts to take up space between the optics and sensor. The ND and shutter might be in the middle of the optics/elements for all we know, instead of behind them.

Rolling electronic shutter is useless for 90% of serious photography. Once global shutter can be implemented without affecting a sensor's IQ, physical shutters will disappear. But I think that's unfortunately at least a few years out, if not a decade.

I doubt it'd be anywhere near feasible to rework the whole inside of the GH body casting just to shoehorn an ND mechanism in, if it would even fit.

1DC and 1DX are identical photo-wise, though. Both have mechanical shutters and reflex mirrors, and neither have NDs. And apparently both are nearly identical in all other ways as well- the 1DC just having a larger heatsink and of course the firmware upgrades for all the video stuff. So not really a supporting case for your argument.

IF an ND even COULD be shoehorned inside the GH3/4 case, they'd have to charge such a large premium for this (because sales volume would be so small) that the target market would want all the other video features seen at that price point (XLR, dual cards, video ergonomics/form factor, etc). All of which would just completely eliminate the GH3/4 case as an option.

This will sound too polarized or black-and-white- the truth is of course more grey- but remember that DSLR/DSLM video rides on the back of photography's popularity. So long as we use a much larger market's products for our own similar-but-different uses, we will be forever subject to that market's demands on its products.

Would I like to see a FF mirrorless cam with a rotating C100/FS5-style grip, tilting telescoping 1X-magnification EVF, IBIS, tilt-flip screen, XLR, incredible AF, global shutter not just for video benefit but also reliability and unlimited flash sync in photos, etc etc etc? Of course I would. I'm just not expecting the GH5 to be it.