Photokina 2016 preview and summary of the year in video so far

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The GH5 will probably not come in sept because of the earthquake. 
That being said, I agree, DPAF would be amazing on the GH5 and it would make it, together with IBIS, 4K60p, 120fps FHD, 422, an INSTANT buy for me even though that would means I have to get a separate camera for stills (I wait a do it all body for years).

At least there are multiple advantages to have two bodies: 
Be able to shoot some video while my still camera records a timelapse. Be able to have the proper settings done on each ready to shoot stills or video (this was the most hassle on my A7RII, having to change multiple things when I either take a pic or a video). 

Then it is gonna be a D810 for stills for me, best landscape DSLR of the market for 1900$ brand new (grey market) + GH5. 
For the cost of a 5D4 I will get way better DR and stills, way better video specs. 

That is, only if Pana gets us the DPAF as @Andrew Reid said. Which they wont.... :( 

I'd take the a6300 + Zihyun Crane over the XT2 since they cost the same and 4k from Fuji is looking completely uninspiring. The XT2 required the grip for extended recording as well. Plus you don't have any of the Xtrans watercolor issues with stills on the a6300 - which are still present on the 24mp sensor. Wish Fuji would dump that and just go bayer. 

Will be interesting to see what Olympus and Panasonic do with the GH5 and EM1mkII. 43rumors keeps saying Oly worked to reduce RS in the new EM1. Then again they also say the LX200 may be released at Photokina, but there's no confirmation, no known name and no specs - in other words they don't actually know anything. At this point reality is anybody's guess as it appears most of the content on that side is just fabricated clickbait.

PADF seems unlikely on the GH5, especially if it uses the Sony sensor.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Source?

Among other places:http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Fujifilm_XT2/

I would love to see a updated D750 with 4K. It really is a great camera with simple controls.

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

At least there are multiple advantages to have two bodies: 
Be able to shoot some video while my still camera records a timelapse. Be able to have the proper settings done on each ready to shoot stills or video (this was the most hassle on my A7RII, having to change multiple things when I either take a pic or a video).

Yeah I love my a7r 2, but the length of time it takes to switch from photo to proper video is a pain. I really wish they enabled you to set a flat picture profile for video while using standard for photos.

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, The Chris said:

If that is correct then it will be 1.67x sensor area effective in 4K mode - not too different to Canon APS-C at 1.6x crop.

Not ideal but not a deal breaker and it is oversampling from a nice 5K res.

fuji-xt-2.jpg

When will we arrive at a long-term workhorse camera for $2000 that doesn't let us down in low light and easily drops a high quality 4k 4:2:2 feed internally?  Something that doesn't fall apart in various post situations?  What I mean is "in the old days" you could depend on a reasonably priced Bolex with anamorphic adapter and good film stock to deliver independent film grade quality for a number of years.  Maybe we already have it in the GH4 or are about to get it in the GH5?  Right now I think you could shoot judiciously on the GH4 or Sony and get very close with an external recorder.  Other than that maybe we have to simply make the leap up to $5k+ cameras and shut up.  I'm not trying to say that current $2k cameras and Bolex Super 16 cameras can be made technically equivalent because there's too many variables, just that the more you pay for a camera the longer a useful life you wish it had.

I think the GH5 is the one to watch, as it could have pretty much everything you need. 

The Canons and Nikons are much more for photographers, hence the weirdness with video features. 

Give Fuji a couple of years to get video right. 

Samsung... what a shame!

Sony... I'm glad they're quiet for once. 

IBC is coming. 

Expect a Canon C100 mk III announcement coming quite soon (going off history), another reason for DSLR video weirdness.

The Kinefinity Terra has been delayed til November, Ursa Mini style. 

What happened to Craft Camera? Those guys are a bit weird. 

FCPX hasn't been updated since February. New version on the way?

Like I said before, a Huge part of the problem is that NOBODY knows what features they want or should be incorporated into M4/3 and most other DSLRs/ Mirror Cameras.

"If all that is the case then the GH5 is going to be mega, barring any unexpected disaster like a 30MP sensor or something else stupid."

If Sony can have 1inch Sensors with 20MP stills, M4/3 sensors should easily handle 27MP and above. While most things over 12MP is an over kill, for framing and re-framing etc, having more pixels to throw away is a good option. 

I also feel that Panasonic should have 3 different versions of VLog, and it should have dynamic range comparable with the Sony Cameras (as in, a Camera's RAW Photo Dynamic Range vs its Video Log). If the GX85 is 12.6 does Stops of Dymanic Range then its VLog should atleast manage 12.3 Stops. Also, All Pansonic ILCs should have VLog, regardless of the Range.

Panasonic should Innovative more. Especially considering Sony's huge control of the Sensor Marker. That is the FIRST thing Panasonic needs to handle. Sensor issues (even Higher Dynamic Range Sensors, PDAF, BSI, highrr ISO sensors, 14-but RAW processing sensor etc).

Also, Panasonic needs to Innovate in its Sound Department. They need to make a version of Sony's XLR-K2M, But, with a Lot more Oomph (ala Apple), and some kickass functionality. And shoot the designer of the Yuck Yagh, while they are at it.