Help with Singer Anamorphic 16D

AaronChicago

I came across this lens used and it's been sitting around. BM just updated to an anamorphic mode on the 4.6K so I wanna try it out. I'm so clueless when it comes to anamorphic.

The rear diameter says it's 52mm. So here are my questions:

-What adapters would I need to connect it to a 50mm taking lens with a 49mm front thread (Helios) or a 72mm front thread (rokinon)?

-The front filter thread says 71mm. What kind of adapter would I need to attach filters that are 72mm?

-Would the SLR Magic Rangefinder be useful in this situation as a single focus?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

with anamorphic adapters you want to have taking lens front element not to be too large, the shorter distance from the rear element of adapter to the front glass of the lens the better for the image, I believe Nikkor 50mm f1.8 has 52mm front thread, it is a great, cheap pancake lens and i would recommend it to have if you plan to use anamorphic adapters

3 minutes ago, bzpop said:

with anamorphic adapters you want to have taking lens front element not to be too large, the shorter distance from the rear element of adapter to the front glass of the lens the better for the image, I believe Nikkor 50mm f1.8 has 52mm front thread, it is a great, cheap pancake lens and i would recommend it to have if you plan to use anamorphic adapters

That makes sense. The thing that stresses me out the most about anamorphic is focusing. Would the rangefinder be beneficial or is it not worth it?

very personal, i had SLR magic, got rid of it, never tried core DNA, but i guess it's the same concept, it makes the whole setup very bulky, would buy Iscorama, but it's 1,5x and close focus is about 2 meters, i don't know, i guess my next step is  real anamorphic lenses, freakin expensive :)

here is the test i shot with the SLR Magic Rangefinder

3 hours ago, bzpop said:

very personal, i had SLR magic, got rid of it, never tried core DNA, but i guess it's the same concept, it makes the whole setup very bulky, would buy Iscorama, but it's 1,5x and close focus is about 2 meters, i don't know, i guess my next step is  real anamorphic lenses, freakin expensive :)

here is the test i shot with the SLR Magic Rangefinder

What was your taking lens, and anamorphic lens? Was there a big difference with the rangefinder on and off?

10 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

For anyone else interested in the Singer 16D don't listen to Ken. 50mm works fine on Super 35mm with the Ursa Mini. No vignetting. Not sure why he was so confident it's "impossible".

What I said is based on FF, nothing wrong.  According to TITO's calculator, comparing with 16H, you can see how much difference.  

By the way, IMO, without vignetting, must be focus at infinity with small aperture to test.

16dvs16h.jpg

7 hours ago, ken said:

What I said is based on FF, nothing wrong.  According to TITO's calculator, comparing with 16H, you can see how much difference.  

By the way, IMO, without vignetting, must be focus at infinity with small aperture to test.

16dvs16h.jpg

I clearly said Super 35mm and you said impossible. Maybe a translation issue? I have tested infinity with small apertures. No problems. Just posting this in case someone down the line is asking about the Singer 16D.

The Super Takumar 50mm as the taking lens is a great combo. Much sharper than the Helios and a sturdier aperture ring.

5 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I clearly said Super 35mm and you said impossible. Maybe a translation issue? I have tested infinity with small apertures. No problems. Just posting this in case someone down the line is asking about the Singer 16D.

The Super Takumar 50mm as the taking lens is a great combo. Much sharper than the Helios and a sturdier aperture ring.

Should possibly be able to use 35mm in 4:3 even.