Panasonic GH4 V-Log L Fail (Not what you may think)

TSV

Hi everyone, 

Here you are a little story that I hope will help you to get ready if this ever happen to you and hopefully, if Panasonic is reading this forum, could be fix in the future.

Now, before going any further I am not a Heavy user of V-Log L  and think that this option from Pana was a scam (They could have pushed it for free), anyway here I go.

I purchased V-Log L in April and activated it on my GH4 without problem, then,  a month later my GH4 started to accumulate dust on the censor and despite all my best effort I could not remove these little white dots.

I went to Panasonic Akihabara Center in Tokyo (where I live) and when I showed them my camera, they told me that the bust was stuck between the sensor itself and the cover that protect the sensor. They announced me that it will cost me 70,000 Yen to fix it (understand change the sensor), but they realised that the camera was just purchased in January and took everything under warranty... So far so good.

48h later I got my Camera back, spent 20 minutes setting everything back to the way it was (They reseted the camera). Today however I wanted to shoot in V-Log L and I realized that this setting was gone... Then it hit me... Panasonic must have changed more than the sensor on my camera without telling me, or was it their factory reset that wiped-out my V-Log L?

Anyway, I had the code with me and decided to re-enable V-Log L online... And this is where everything started to go the wrong way.

1. The Code was no longer valide
2. Called Panasonic Akihabara Center, and while they have everything in record their engineer said that V-Log L could not go away like this and just for a new sensor. 
3. After insisted quite a bit, they double check and call me back to announce that they will have to send my camera back to the factory alongside my Key-code to sort this out, ETA? At least a week!!!!

Well you have it, if you ever need to send your camera to Panasonic don't imagine for a minute that you will get if back with V-Log L if it was installed on your camera before and expect to waist more time to get it fix... 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Mat Mayer said:

I can email you the firmware version with it free in if you want. Version 2.3 which is a 39MB zip file. I dont regard this as unethical at all as they gave it us free with no instruction not to share.

Thanks Mat, this is ok, I have a spare camera (GX7MKII) and I can survive for a week without the GH4. It is just that this Vlog story from Panasonic is a mess from start to end. They should have give it for free. Adding all steps was the prefect recipe for stories like mine. Bottom line if this happen to more people, this upgrade will cost them more than they earned by selling it.

My apologies TSV. It looks like I rated this thread 1 star while I was simply scrolling down the screen wjth my thumb. I then tried to change it to 5 stars. Just don't want you thinking someone considers this a 1 star thread, though some people at Panasonic might !:blush:

23 hours ago, Flynn said:

My apologies TSV. It looks like I rated this thread 1 star while I was simply scrolling down the screen wjth my thumb. I then tried to change it to 5 stars. Just don't want you thinking someone considers this a 1 star thread, though some people at Panasonic might !:blush:

It was you!!! Let's be honest, you are in fact a Panasonic agent and now have some remorse for what you have done ;-)

On 19 August 2016 at 9:51 PM, Mat Mayer said:

I can email you the firmware version with it free in if you want. Version 2.3 which is a 39MB zip file. I dont regard this as unethical at all as they gave it us free with no instruction not to share.

He'd also need the old version of the Image App as Panastoopid disabled the "hack" with a new version of that too, soon after it was spotted. 

Regardless, V-Log was a travesty from start to finish. The wait. The cost. The wait. The hack. The wait. The box with a code in it. Then V-Log itself, which makes any flat surface look like the stained bedsheet of an incontinent pixel person with purple pee. And no, shooting in 10 bit doesn't clean things up the stains are still there they just look a bit less like pixel pee and more like real organic pee.