Canon 5D III x Lexar 256GB CF: max recording time: 38:34 .. make sense?!!

Ty Harper

I know most of you have moved on to leaner 4K pastures but I still run with the 5D III/ML combo.

I just picked up a couple Lexar 256GB CF cards for cheap and have been consistently getting a max recording time of 38 minutes and 34 seconds for both cards.

The camera also freezes up and I have to take the battery out to get it going again.

This is with global draw off and on.

I should also say these cards seem to work fine as long as my recordings are under the 38:34 max.

And the cards were purchased at different times from different sellers.

I feel like I read somewhere that I should be able to get around 48 minutes with these cards.

Anyone that can confirm or deny this?

And if I should be getting more minutes out of these cards, anyone got advice on what I might need to do to get more time out these cards?

The only features I have enabled are Global Draw/Live View, custom Cropmarks and False Color (RAW RGB, Log) and as I stated I got the same max recording times with Global Draw off and on.

Any constructive advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

It's a known issue that 5D3 1DX 1DC and other Canon DSLRs don't work well with 256GB cards, better have multiple 128GB cards.

1DX II however improved support for larger capacity CF cards.

Any idea how long I should be getting with one of these cards?

3 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

It probably makes sense if you're shooting at 30p. The numbers seem roughly correct. If you shoot at 24p you should be getting 49min of 1920x1080 on a 256gb card.

Definitely been shooting at 24p. I'd chalk it up to a defective card but I got two Lexar 256GB cards bought at different times from different sellers giving me the same recording times. Not sure how to trouble shoot this one.

4 hours ago, Rob6 said:

Hi Ty,

It should fill the card if you trigger the flag in the    Ml raw menu to record in exfat. I am using firmware 1.1.3 of the 5d3. Check out ml forum for more info on exfat recording. Your card also has to be formatted as exfat when that mode is triggered. 

Thanks Rob! I'm also using 1.1.3 on my 5D III. Where in the menu is this exfat setting located? 

On 8/4/2016 at 7:37 PM, Luke Mason said:

It's a known issue that 5D3 1DX 1DC and other Canon DSLRs don't work well with 256GB cards, better have multiple 128GB cards.

1DX II however improved support for larger capacity CF cards.

Really? Mine works great with my 256gb card.

Ran some tests and yes, the issue was me not having the "Files > 4GiB (exFAT)" option turned on.

I had checked for it in the past but was looking in the Card settings menu.

For anyone else interested, you get to this option by.... 

(i) pressing the trash can to access the ML menu and scrolling across to the Movie section

(ii) scrolling down to RAW video (MLV) (make sure RAW is actually engaged if it isn't already... you do that by pressing the "SET" button on the camera)

(iii) pressing the "Q" button on the camera (just above the "SET" button)

(iv) scrolling down to "Files > 4GiB (exFAT)" and pressing the "SET" button to turn it on

Thank you all for your help!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I thought I had everything figured out. But now I'm realizing there's also an ExFAT/FAT32 formatting issue with these cards and Canon's in-camera formatting process.

I've got a 5D III with ML 1.2.3 installed on a 32GB SanDisk Extreme (60 MB/s) SD card. 
The SD card is formatted in ExFAT and stays that way even when I format it inside the camera.
I have a 256GB Lexar 1066x CF card formatted in ExFAT and it stays formatted as ExFAT when formatted inside the camera.

This is not the case for my 128GB Lexar 1066x CF cards. Whenever I format them to ExFAT on my MAC (and my PC) they get formatted to FAT32 when I format them in camera.

Is the current conclusion that the 256GB Lexar is the only Lexar 1066x CF card that maintains its ExFAT formatting when formatted inside the camera?

Any updates, suggestions or insight on this issue would really be appreciated.