Editing - Hitachi Hard Drives - Reading/ Writing Interruption Issue

User

I had been editing with with Seagate 2TB drives in the Lacie. Everything was sooth as silk. Recently I switched over to Hitashi HGST 4TB Drives. But now, for some reason, every 15-30 min the Hitachi drives in the Lacie enclosure begin doing some kind of reading/ writing process that interrupts my editing. I imagined that the drives have some kind of firmware that makes them undergo some kind of read/ write procedure. For example, as I understand it, some drives have firmware that stops them from spinning after a certain amount of time if they are not being written to or read from to save power. There is even software (Keep Drives Spinning) to prevent the drives from powering down and I tried this but to no avail even though the drives were being already written to and read from while editing, so they shouldn't go into sleep cycle in the first place and then need to be woken up.

Does anyone know what could be causing the Hitachi drives to light up (read/ write process for a minute) in succession every 15-30 min?

2013 Macbook Pro, Lacie 5Bay Thunderbolt, Premiere Pro CC

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Every 15-30 minutes sound more like some OS level process rather than SMART tests (sounds too frequent for it to be this - unless hitachi has some really weird/bad default configuration). Hit up activity monitor to ensure that no OS X process is interfering.

17 hours ago, dahlfors said:

Every 15-30 minutes sound more like some OS level process rather than SMART tests (sounds too frequent for it to be this - unless hitachi has some really weird/bad default configuration). Hit up activity monitor to ensure that no OS X process is interfering.

Tech Tool Pro has a interval that can be set to SMART test the drives. It was set to 1 hour but it did not feel at all like an hour had elapsed between tests. But it's pretty easy to cook off an our without noticing the time so maybe.

However,

I just opened Activity Monitor when the drives kicked into their strange read/ write mode and saw that Tech Tool Pro had jumped to the top of the active processes. So I'm pretty sure this is it. Strange though that yesterday I had unticked the SMART test for these external drives and somehow today they were ticked again when I opened up System Preferences/ Other/ Tech Tool Protection. Maybe there is some strange preferences thing going on. In any case thanks for jumping in Dahlfors.