Proud of eos mods

Ed_David

They were put in a tough spot and made a good call right now.

The rangefinder has been sent.

Hopefully he pays out the rest.

The mods were in a tough spot.

This was a weird one.

The intergrety isnt questioned...they responded...with patience and thinking about it.

Everyone go back to thinking about a new prototype camera my friend just plaued with that i cant mention but i think it maybe amazing unless they screw it up and disappoint us.

Im joking of course.

Cause this is what constantly happening... endlessly.

The next big thing.  Thats whats screwing us up. Camera manufacturers not a internet forum of nerds.

Need to talk more about innovation s in lighting.

Ive seen some amazing led tech.

Litemats....skypanels...how they shot neon goddess.

Using water and LEDs and flaring the mattebox w a light ribbon.

Now thats a cool trick.

So many cool tricks.

Using mylar instead of a bounce board.

Using stick lights.

So much crazy stuff.

Cheap russian arms

Etc etc

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Ed_David said:

The next big thing.  Thats whats screwing us up. Camera manufacturers not a internet forum of nerds.

I'm kinda over the latest greatest camera obsession; I've been burnt too many times. The A7s was a big disappointment, I wasted a lot of time testing that damned thing. The BMMCC too to a lesser extent; not a bad camera, just not quite up to my requirements.

I was an early LED adopter, I bought my first 2 panels from China in 2009; I lit this with 'em:

The CRI on those is quite low, very green, and they're not very bright, but they got the job done, even used them for the lightning effect. I've got about 15 LEDs in various sizes and types. This year affordable high quality LEDs have really come of age. I'm really impressed with the build and light quality of the NanGuang fresnels. I wrote up a mini review here:

I'm working on an LED mod for an old Tilley lamp, just waiting for a li-ion battery to arrive and I'll post about it. Not super powerful but gaslights aren't very bright anyway. I'm using a bunch of them as practicals in GAMMA in a addition to a few LED fresnels.

There's plenty of great camera options available now, it's the less glamorous things like LEDs and 12v foggers I've been hunting down so I can get shots like this in the zone with a crew of 2:

sniper.jpg

On Ebrahim: I like his enthusiasm; it's when that enthusiasm turns into passing himself off as something he's not that it becomes a problem. Obviously he's got some issues, but he's a smart kid and I hope he can get himself sorted out. In this business reputation is everything, and it takes a long time to build trust and respect. I'm not gonna hunt him down on the other forums, and if he's not banned from those forums my advice to him is this: mate just be yourself, talk about the knowledge you have with your camera, don't give any more advice based on stuff you read somewhere; sure we all do that from time to time, but we have a lot of first hand experience that you don't have, and people believed that you did. I can understand why you did it, but it's not cool man.

We live in a time where people are desperate for attention. People have killed themselves because they couldn't get followers on social media. When I was 21 there was no social media, and I can see how it fucks kids up. The best way to get people to like you is to work hard, do good work, and be genuine. It's not the Trump way, but he's an arsehole who's bound to get us all killed if people fall for his shit.

As far as punishment goes: I think redemption is a thing, and maybe we could think about how Ebrahim can redeem himself and be allowed back after a period of time. Even though he passed himself off as something he's not, he was trying to be helpful. Now I know this idea won't be popular with everyone, but I suggest they have a look at Michael Moore's 'Where to Invade Next', particularly the part about the rehabilitation of criminals in Norway. We are doing it so wrong in the US and Aus. He's a kid, he fucked up, he's taken steps to make amends; yes we had to go hard for that to happen, but I think this is an opportunity for us to help a kid who needs it.

peace out.

15 hours ago, Ed_David said:

They were put in a tough spot and made a good call right now.

The rangefinder has been sent.

Hopefully he pays out the rest.

The mods were in a tough spot.

This was a weird one.

The intergrety isnt questioned...they responded...with patience and thinking about it.

Everyone go back to thinking about a new prototype camera my friend just plaued with that i cant mention but i think it maybe amazing unless they screw it up and disappoint us.

Im joking of course.

Cause this is what constantly happening... endlessly.

Litemats....skypanels...how they shot neon goddess.

Using water and LEDs and flaring the mattebox w a light ribbon.

Now thats a cool trick.

So many cool tricks.

Using mylar instead of a bounce board.

Using stick lights.

So much crazy stuff.

Cheap russian arms

Etc etc

Ed, I'm in full agreement. 

While cameras get hyped up a billion times a year, the general enthusiast audience almost ignore the most important thing a camera needs. 

I love lighting beyond cameras. Due to the technology, I've changed all my lamps to battery powered units, so I can go anywhere I want and light anything without messing with tangled cables and mains power. 

I've got: 

- 3 Lupolux Dual Color lamps. Very bright and versatile. 

- 6 Scorpion Lights. Little bendy lights that can go anywhere. Very handy. 

- Aputure Lightstorm LS1-C. Very impressed. Terrific brightness. 

- Shit loads of gels, diffusers, reflectors. 

These are a much more important toolset than my cameras (I hardly buy any). It makes an incredible difference compared to "just another" camera image. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I've got: 

- 3 Lupolux Dual Color lamps. Very bright and versatile. 

- 6 Scorpion Lights. Little bendy lights that can go anywhere. Very handy. 

- Aputure Lightstorm LS1-C. Very impressed. Terrific brightness. 

- Shit loads of gels, diffusers, reflectors. 

I wanted to get the Lupolux, but they're so damned expensive; the NanGuangs are similarly specced. I'm planning on getting at least a couple of the Scorpions; very cool design. You can never have too many gels.

good stuff.

I think if this blog wants to survive, and probably Andrew is tired of it (I would be too) - it should transition into talking about lenses, lighting, camera movement technology.

I think as of now we are seeing a peak of what is possible with CMOS camera technology.

All newer innovations to me as minor.

But lighting and camera control tech continues to innovate, get cheaper, and get more beautiful.

But like I said, I'm sure running this site is not fun anymore.

Yeah, the new camera stuff is exhausting. This forum does a good job talking about all aspects, though. how about a thread where people just share weird obscure tricks. Like their secrets and sage wisdom that is at least not common. I could get really into like a subforum about super micro budget filmmaking, though obviously that's not the only way to do things, nor the best usually. Wouldn't wanna flood the forum with those little things. Been waiting for certain people here to write about their secrets to finding amazing deals online for quite a while!

I'm looking at investing in some lighting soon.. to light in a way that looks natural. seems to be one of the harder things to teach yourself from online articles like I usually do... Nervous about investing in those silly $100 studio three point light kits of course. Kinda just thinking $10 desk lamps with decent, cool white, 60watt incandescent bulbs. Any good budget fresnel type lights or alternatives someone could recommend?

I use Fresnels most of the time Arri originals and recently I bought a whole bunch of Chinese Arri copy fresnels off ebay for the feature film I just did , I needed to light 3 sets simultaniously and leave the lighting  up for weeks at a time (I had 25 fresnels up at once on 3 sets) ,I like Fresnels as you can use them as a hard light or add some f1 Diffussion and use them as a soft light, you cant do that with Kino Flos they are soft all the time , so for me Fresnels are the way I light most of the time , the exception is lighting Women .. where a soft light is more beautiful , so sometimes if I need a very soft look , I use Kinos then or LED tube lights I have made - basically LED Kinos not tube Kinos ,

The Chinese Fresnels are just as good as the real Arri ones I was amazed , once you have a good globe/bulb in them like Osram - there is nothing in it ,

I bought 150s 300s 650s and 1K Pups and they are all superb , they worked 40 days for 12 hrs a day no issues .

so check these out they are great

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fresnel-Tungsten-Spotlight-150W-Lighting-Studio-camera-Video-/331687239451?hash=item4d3a199f1b:g:x8AAAOSw-zxWoXQS

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-1000W-Movie-Fresnel-Tungsten-SpotLight-Studio-Camera-Video-/252322910892?hash=item3abf9e12ac:g:lP8AAOSwAuNW6hii

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On-Sales-UK-Fresnel-Tungsten-Spotlight-300W-Lighting-Studio-camera-Video-/252134887278?hash=item3ab4690f6e:g:0k0AAOSwqYBWp0Dk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Studio-650W-Tungsten-Spot-light-Dimmer-globe-Compatible-arri-bulb-/231722293457?hash=item35f3b998d1:g:0nUAAOSwKtlWp0A4

they are all amazing prices , I do recomend these lamps .

300w Fresnels in action on the movie Pandora with diffusion and gels on the front - standard stuff for me

IMG_6467.JPG

The upside to tungstens is they're cheap. The downsides: they're power hungry, hot, and a bit fragile. You have to be weary of single phase power loads, something I've never had to think about with LEDs. When you factor in the cost of bulbs, LEDs work out cheaper over the life of the fixture. LEDs are also a lot easier to work with on location running off v-mounts instead of generators.

@Liam The first lights I ever bought were a few $10 handheld work lights from a hardware store and an assortment of daylight and tungsten CFL globes up to 24w. I also bought a 2x 500w tungsten worklight for about $50. The standard bulbs are too warm, but you can buy 2700k bulbs for them. Ikea have some cheap fixtures and high CRI LED bulbs; you can use them as practicals too.

-6.jpg

-5.jpg

-7.jpg

14 minutes ago, squig said:

The upside to tungstens is they're cheap. The downsides: they're power hungry, hot, and a bit fragile. You have to be weary of single phase power loads, something I've never had to think about with LEDs. When you factor in the cost of bulbs, LEDs work out cheaper over the life of the fixture. LEDs are also a lot easier to work with on location running off v-mounts instead of generators.

@Liam The first lights I ever bought were a few $10 handheld work lights from a hardware store and an assortment of daylight and tungsten CFL globes up to 24w. I also bought a 2x 500w tungsten worklight for about $50. The standard bulbs are too warm, but you can buy 2700k bulbs for them. Ikea have some cheap fixtures and high CRI LED bulbs; you can use them as practicals too.

-6.jpg

-5.jpg

-7.jpg

CMOS sensors love daylight balanced source, almost all digital cameras have a native sensor white balance of 5000K-5500K, they have the best colour/SNR performance under daylight. At NAB/Cinegear Pro/IBC, a lot of DOPs are saying that the future of cinema lighting will be daylight balanced LED.

4 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

CMOS sensors love daylight balanced source, almost all digital cameras have a native sensor white balance of 5000K-5500K, they have the best colour/SNR performance under daylight. At NAB/Cinegear Pro/IBC, a lot of DOPs are saying that the future of cinema lighting will be daylight balanced LED.

True. All of my LEDs are daylight balanced, and I have some 5500k CFL bulbs for those handheld worklights and some 5x45w 5500k CFL softboxes which I rarely use these days. I'm about to do some tests with 4000k CTS gels. CTO is too orange for my liking with the 5D.

9 minutes ago, squig said:

True. All of my LEDs are daylight balanced, and I have some 5500k CFL bulbs for those handheld worklights and some 5x45w 5500k CFL softboxes which I rarely use these days. I'm about to do some tests with 4000k CTS gels. CTO is too orange for my liking with the 5D.

I'd avoid using CFL lights, even the professional ones like Kino Flo have visible green spike, their TLCI values are mediocre.

Here's an amazing database of good quality LED lights:

http://indiecinemaacademy.com/complete-led-color-database-cri-tlci-cqs-tm30-15/