GH3 and Image Stabilization

Dr. John R. Brinkley

From what I understand the only image stabilization with the GH3 is through the lenses, specifically lenses made by Panasonic. 

Assuming this is true, I'm curious how people have fared with the GH3 when using legacy glass and/or non Panasonic lenses in regards to image stabilization.

Just curious what people thought was wise/reasonable in how to maximize a stable image when shooting with the GH3. Obviously a tripod helps but was looking to see if anyone had thoughts on this issue.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A pistol grip can come in handy if you are in a pinch.  I would honeslty say the stabalization technique isn't much different from the GH2.  I keep a monopod with me at all times since I shoot mainly on legacy lenses.  QuickHitRecord much has it right.  The only time I obtain unusable footage is when the camera's movement is being influenced by the things he listed above.  On windy days while using my monopod I often resort to 60p.  I can grab footage from that that is very usable even when the movements of the camera are sudden and unpredictable.  It is one of the great things about high framerates.

I got myself a cheap steadycam on ebay. It takes a lot of training, but its possible to get at least decent footage with legacy lenses. its called "the hague". Combined with the kitlens you get rocksteady footage walking around. To be honest though, 95% of the time i shoot from a tripod. If you want to use the footage professionaly, i recommend a better steady cam or a good shoulder rig, which costs 10 times as much though at least.

For documentary work i do not even mind camera shaking while walking, while at fictional shooting noticing the camera is always a big minus.

• Administrators

Nothing I have seen in video mode on any camera can match what the Olympus OM-D E-M5 can do, now even with legacy glass and adapters. It is certainly worth a look for handheld shoots even though the codec sucks and is 30p.

I'm not a huge fan of the OIS on Panasonic lenses for video. Sometimes it jumps and the Lumix lenses are a little bit too clinical looking for my tastes. You are far better off stabilising the camera with a shoulder mounted rig.

When the OM-D first came out I ask the local Olympus rep the same question, about the firm ware 30p issue. He said the Olympus powers that be, are aware of this and the professional mirror less would solve all the problems of bad codec and frame rate issues

Nothing I have seen in video mode on any camera can match what the Olympus OM-D E-M5 can do, now even with legacy glass and adapters. It is certainly worth a look for handheld shoots even though the codec sucks and is 30p.

I'm not a huge fan of the OIS on Panasonic lenses for video. Sometimes it jumps and the Lumix lenses are a little bit too clinical looking for my tastes. You are far better off stabilising the camera with a shoulder mounted rig.

I would say the new sony technology, which is about the same as the OM-D, is....pretty much the same, unless it is in fact....the same

I would say in the near future it will be "the norm" for most cameras. As for now Olympus better live it up as the pioneers.

But the Panasonic TM700 and 900 had a pretty good built in IS.

From what I understand the only image stabilization with the GH3 is through the lenses, specifically lenses made by Panasonic. 

Assuming this is true, I'm curious how people have fared with the GH3 when using legacy glass and/or non Panasonic lenses in regards to image stabilization.

Just curious what people thought was wise/reasonable in how to maximize a stable image when shooting with the GH3. Obviously a tripod helps but was looking to see if anyone had thoughts on this issue.

ProDad Mercalli works pretty nice, the better the shot, the better it works.  If you are shooting an earthquake scene, don't waste your time. If you are shooting just a simple pan shot or can get a decently smooth walking shot it should do just the trick.  IMO it works better than warp stabilizer and faster.  

Should I put the stabilization on the Panasonic lens off when using a rig or tripod?

Yes but it depends on the lens.  You may get "jumps" or "skipping" in the image when doing pans, usually at the end of movement.  It's like when you stop, the IS is still working and overcompensates resulting in a "jump" in the image.  Turn it off and you will get smooth stops.  Just to remember to turn it back on for handheld.

Yes but it depends on the lens.  You may get "jumps" or "skipping" in the image when doing pans, usually at the end of movement.  It's like when you stop, the IS is still working and overcompensates resulting in a "jump" in the image.  Turn it off and you will get smooth stops.  Just to remember to turn it back on for handheld.

Thanxs! I have the Panasonic 14-35 lens .... on or off with this one? 

• 2 weeks later...