Atomos Ninja Star on Canon 1DX Mark II?

Jaime Valles

Hello, all. I'm trying to figure out ways of extending the recording time of my new 1DX Mark II for long-form events. Since I already have three CFast 2.0 cards for the camera itself, I'm wondering how well the Atomos Ninja Star will work for shooting takes longer than 30 minutes.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ninja Star in event shooting? And do we think there would be any issues using it with a 1DXII? Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Atomos recorders work very well for long continuous shooting, BUT 1DX II exits liveview every 30min (even when you're not recording) and cuts off HDMI signal, so the longest recording time you get is 30min on external recorder.

Really? I didn't know this. Could you or anyone else with an external recorder and a 1DX II test if you can record longer than 30 minutes? I was about to puchase an Atomos, but not if it won't let me shoot long takes.

10 hours ago, Jaime Valles said:

Really? I didn't know this. Could you or anyone else with an external recorder and a 1DX II test if you can record longer than 30 minutes? I was about to puchase an Atomos, but not if it won't let me shoot long takes.

Someone over at Canon Rumors already did that, 30min max before liveview shuts off. If you really want continuous long recording, 1DC is the best choice (12 hours max).

25 minutes ago, Jaime Valles said:

It works! I just pressed a button at the 28 minute mark and it kept going longer than 30 minutes! Already at 40 minutes and counting!

I thought the whole purpose of long form recording is the ability to leave the camera unattended and focus on framing/audio etc. Now you have to remember to press a button every 30min...

38 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

I thought the whole purpose of long form recording is the ability to leave the camera unattended and focus on framing/audio etc. Now you have to remember to press a button every 30min...

Ideally, yes. But if I'm behind the camera, this at least gives me uninterrupted external recording without the 2-3 second gap I have to deal with now.

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2016 at 1:23 PM, Luke Mason said:

I guess he will have to buy one of those cheap wind up Kitchen Egg Timers LoL.