Samsung NX1 Film Convert is out!

ricardo_sousa11

7 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

great! please also release one profile based on EOShd suggested settings (0.95 on the green channel, gammaDR). Most are using these settings to get good colors ooc and great dr.

I would believe those are "outdated" in some way, and most people have moved to other settings. Considering everyone has slightly different settings, maybe it would be good for FilmConvert to have a "suggested settings" for each profile, and match their profiles to the most used settings right now (which can be found in the NX1 page). Maybe have a poll to figure out what settings most people are currently using.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I gave up on using the gamma DR with green at 0.95 settings... all my footage seemed just kind of grey and lackluster with it, and after a while I decided that I don't think it's a good thing for the footage to mess with the RGB values in-camera like that. My favorite settings are still the Normal gamma, saturation -4, sharpness -10, contrast -3, master black level at 15. Flat-ish but still easy to expose, and super easy to get great colors in post. 

I for one beg to differ on the contrast settings, a simple low light test of identical scenes done it for me. I didnt use the hack or anzthing, but was definitelz able to pull more back .. I dont know why. master black is far more important, in low light the +10 or 15 is a world of difference!

5 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

The profiles I use are standard,portrait & gamma c at default settings with -10 sharpness and +15 Master pedestal. Its not worth touching the contrast settings on the nx1. 

Why gamma c instead of gamma dr?

GammaDR gives the most natural look and you can add contrast to it if you need. I have been shooting close to 100 hours this summer and when using normal or GammaC it's hard to manage scenes that are partly sun partly shade. I tried ricardos settings, but the colors were ultimately too fake and blend. It's not really fun to look image that is so gray. In stills it seems nice, but watching even 2 minute video with it is just exhausting.

Do you need to buy the premiere plugin to use the profile?

4 hours ago, Hene1 said:

GammaDR gives the most natural look and you can add contrast to it if you need. I have been shooting close to 100 hours this summer and when using normal or GammaC it's hard to manage scenes that are partly sun partly shade. I tried ricardos settings, but the colors were ultimately too fake and blend. It's not really fun to look image that is so gray. In stills it seems nice, but watching even 2 minute video with it is just exhausting.

Which are the Ricardo's settings?

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2016 at 1:58 AM, John Parker said:

Hi all, FilmConvert here. We've just released a v2 of the NX1 camera profile which corrects some of the color issues you may have experienced. Download from www.filmconvert.com/download/camera-profile

Hey Guys,

First of all thanks a lot for making this happen. It really matters to know someone is still helping the beautiful community around NX1. Just wanted to ask, what were the in camera settings based on which the profile was done? profile, other setting, the more the merrier. Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

after week long extensive tests, I finally come to conclusion that I'd use Gamma DR standard with -15 sharpness and MB15 for a uniform and flat skintone look, this look is good when the actor has no makeup but for more gritty look I use gamma C which gives more color depth especially on cheeks are more red than the rest of the face however I recommend makeup to smooth the face "BB CREAM" works nicely.

I didn't like -4 sat and -3 contrast nor -4 contrast and 0 sat because no matter what you do you can't return the pure black back on, if you adjust black level or contrast it affects the entire image, that's why GammaC is very good for darker tones, like horror, thriller, mystery but Gamma DR is good for comedy, romance. 

For nature, outdoor, buildings I prefer Gamma C, this is because it has much less macroblocking in the blue channels "sky basically" unless your sky is cloudy maybe you want Gamma DR. 

with Gamma C you want to expose to 0 this is because its blacks are darker, for Gamma DR I underexpose to -3. 

remember we are using 8bit color, professionals use 16bit color for flat profile because they have the headroom to do the grading, our cameras have to be adjusted as close as possible to your final look otherwise it will start breaking up especially walls, skys and flat surfaces where repetition of pixels occur. 

I also ordered a lens filter glass "Tiffen Black Satin 1" this is so I can smooth out the face's blemishes, because the camera is too sharp in order to reduce macroblockings which occur when there is too much details in sky, flat surfaces ect..you cant fix this in post it has to be fixed before the image hits the censor. 

Also thanks to this forum for my research, I tried all your settings, without them I wouldn't have come to my personal conclusion :)