Sony a7 (the first one)

Kangaroo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Im probably the only one on this forum that uses a Sony A7 to film videos, if you want to check out some samples  you can watch my 5 latest videos https://www.youtube.com/user/4cfingers/videos

I really like the camera with the headphone and mic jack, the 1080p 60 is decent and for me personally good enough for youtube. DR with portrait -3 contrast is similar to the 5d with -5 contrast. I shoot 50% stills and 50% and i think its a very versitile camera when using manual lenses, its easy to focus with the beautiful and sharp EVF. 

Better stay away - the video quality of the A7 is terrible, with tons of softness, aliasing and moirés. It's not comparable to the A7s and A7R. It's a great stills camera though.

The A7r and A7 have nearly identical video performance.

33 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

Im probably the only one on this forum that uses a Sony A7 to film videos, if you want to check out some samples  you can watch my 5 latest videos https://www.youtube.com/user/4cfingers/videos

Call me an ignorant but I didnt know that there are people riding these scooters for tricks 'n stuff, always thought it was a kid thing lol. Really some great shots and moves you have!

I would agree with you, the a7 does a pretty good job for you, in particular when referring to your 2016 setup video. In the behind the photo clip you can see where the a7 really falls behind - all those tree's kind of look like a big green mush. Does this matter to you? apparently not. Does it matter to me? totally not, since you are really able to tell your story. I like it.

It's like @fuzzynormal keeps on repeating: nowadays gear doesnt really matter anymore (that much), it matters what you can craft with it.

1 hour ago, jase said:

Call me an ignorant but I didnt know that there are people riding these scooters for tricks 'n stuff, always thought it was a kid thing lol. Really some great shots and moves you have!

I would agree with you, the a7 does a pretty good job for you, in particular when referring to your 2016 setup video. In the behind the photo clip you can see where the a7 really falls behind - all those tree's kind of look like a big green mush. Does this matter to you? apparently not. Does it matter to me? totally not, since you are really able to tell your story. I like it.

It's like @fuzzynormal keeps on repeating: nowadays gear doesnt really matter anymore (that much), it matters what you can craft with it.

Freestyle scootering is a relative new sport so no shame there ;) Thanks for the compliments!

Yeah i think pretty much every camera made after (and) the 5d mark iii is good enough for most people, no needs to think that you need clinicly sharp NX1 4k to make an amazing video. 

Where the Sony A7 shines is with shallow dof stuff, like the 2016 setup video. It highlightes the awesomeness of the amazing full frame sensor and with the background being blured out you escape all the moire aliasing stuff.

10 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

its a nice jump from the 7d, especially if you want slow motion

Yet if you have 600 bucks to spend for a body, I would go the GX85 route and use the rest (maybe plus a little add) for a cheap focal reducer et voila, you got your background blurs while having a better camera for video.

1 hour ago, jase said:

Yet if you have 600 bucks to spend for a body, I would go the GX85 route and use the rest (maybe plus a little add) for a cheap focal reducer et voila, you got your background blurs while having a better camera for video.

gx85 vs the full frame sensor makes a big difference with stills which OP said he would take.

5 hours ago, jase said:

The gx85 does not have any microphone input, I already owned a panasonic g6 and I really don't like the m4/3 system, it has a nice ibis but that's it.

Just now, jase said:

Paired with the right lens there shouldnt be too much difference between m43 and FF, but everyone as he likes :) I just would not invest that money into an a7 body if i knew that i also want to use it a lot for video.

Mostly photography, that's why I'm interested in the A7 and that's why I'm still using a canon!