Panasonic Colors and A3G3 Setting by EosHD Posters

PannySVHS

Hallo video afficiandos!

I recently read about @Inazuma´s and @John Matthews´ A3G3 for the GX80 and GX7 in the GX80 thread and @jase´ examples as well. I did some

filming with this and another setting about three weeks ago.

I´m kind of a Panny fan and have been enjoying the great value I´m getting out of my G6 I bought about a year ago.

It was my first step into digital.

So when I bought my Panny G6 last April due to bushman films and Andy Lee on Andrew´s forum, I had high expectations.

I was exited about the nice HD footage the G6 let me shoot. Bought an editing machine with a 2nd generatoin I7 2600K- great

value for starters one year ago. Now of the sudden I had this digi tech at my hands coming from SVHS-C camcorders

when I was a teen. Just that Panasonic colors didn´t seem that awesome to me, rather just okay.

Last fall I got my hands onto Davinci and a GTX970 and got myself started into the joys of messing around with video color.

The G6 held a few surprises for me. I´m surprised by the color "hidden" in that 24mbps 24p codec and even the 28mbps for 50p.

A friend of mine wanted me to test some slomo, if codec would hold up for 50p, if she could use Panny Slomo for a kind of a Ballhaus effect for her project.

So there is no plotline here. All handheld, with a 28mm FD, WB at 7000K with A3G3 and some A3M9, harsh sun at 4-6pm.

Some hoolahoop parts are shot in Extele and the closest framing is an additional larger percentage zoomed in with Davinci.

So now I would like to share my share I got out of the Panasonic colors.  :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Grimor,

thanks for helping out with the great rigging infos before, by the way! Great knowledge for me as a rigging novice!

Skintones and hoola hoop are different settings, I don´t know which one I used first. I figured the M9 part to get away from green.

Did that to an extreme in order to be able to witness an extreme effect when grading later on.

So either setting for late afternoon sommer sun and 7000K temperature. It isinteresting how light´s color and temperature change

delicately but with substanstial effect for video (at least non raw consumer video that is), that with changing position, movement of clouds and so on.

In Davinci one major part is to sculpt some threedimensionalty out of the image, doing that with luma and the three r g b color curves.

That is quiet important besides color correction, adjustment of saturation lead by luma, hue, etc.

Curves made the differences for my grade, saying curves, because different curves interact and counteract in the way with

the most beneficial effect to the image.

The A3G3 and/or A3M9 might just provide some beautiful extra color nuances and balance for to do so more successfully.

I got a hold of it in the GX80 thread, which became a quiet extensive collection of interesting knowledge or assumptions.

Kudos to the posters I mentioned above. Here is some more background info from John:

21 minutes ago, mercer said:

Hey Panny. Look at you surrounded by all the ladies. Good on you. I really liked the hula hoop girl colors. Those shots are pretty psychedelic, they remind me of some scary, trippy horror movie. 

You rascal:) Thank you very much, Merce! My favs are the first lady´s skintones. I was really exited to discover those. Some kind of  thickness

finally for some daylight skintones. Architecture, landscapes, foliage look nice most of the time on the Pannys.

Thanks again, the editing was a lot of fun too. Its pretty cool to have a chinabooster

and counteract that with the Extele mode. Also I unashmingly zoomed in big time in post for some parts of the hoola hoop.

Great to have some cool talks again!

Exited that you purchased a XC10! Tier 1 HD, true clean HD with CLOG, awesome!

Yeah that FD looks nice. If you ever come across one, pick up the Canon FD 35-70mm. I think it's a 3.5 constant aperture. Internal zoom mechanism. Little focus breathing. Beautiful little lens. I sold off most of my FD lenses, but I kept that one and the FL 35mm f/3.5... Another hidden gem with nice warmth. 

How did you do that hula hoop in the dark trick?

So far, so good with the XC10. I took her out this morning for a spin. And I'll tell you what, it's nice to have the 4K, but the 1080p is so nice on this cam, am not sure how often I'll use the 4K. 

Hey Grimor, nice footage, especially the parts with the beautiful diffuse light from the front. The lens rendering, the movements look very beautiful!

Sometimes Luts produce some lack of luminousity and vibrance and lacking a few nuances of tones as seen at 0.59 or 1.06.

Other than that your piece is a good example of the sublte use of it. Around 2.00 looks very beautiful!

Also, movement looks really nice. Would love to see what people can do with a GX80 or G70.

For both cameras there is not so much footage out there, esp. when compared to GH2 or GH4.

G6 is a rather rare beast too on vimeo, most of it graded in a very muted style.

@mercer

With the hoop, It is one node making the difference with an almost inverted S Curve. Then putting that layer in layer mode Hard Light in the edit section of Davinci.

To make the hula hoop more intense in its luminousity I stapled the same layer on top of one another, four times.

I remember your 35-70 video, had super beautiful greens in it:)

Have four FDs, the 50mm 1.4 I almost never used, 28mm most of the time, got a 20mm 2.8 like brandnew. Still hestitating to use that beauty cuz of possible scratches.

I know it is silly to feel like that:) Oh, and a beautiful, beautiful 28-85mm F4 from Tokina- Andy Lee tip, read about it, bought it. :)

2.JPG

1.JPG

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hallo video afficiandos!

I recently read about @Inazuma´s and @John Matthews´ A3G3 for the GX80 and GX7 in the GX80 thread and @jase´ examples as well. I did some

filming with this and another setting about three weeks ago.

I´m kind of a Panny fan and have been enjoying the great value I´m getting out of my G6 I bought about a year ago.

It was my first step into digital.

So when I bought my Panny G6 last April due to bushman films and Andy Lee on Andrew´s forum, I had high expectations.

I was exited about the nice HD footage the G6 let me shoot. Bought an editing machine with a 2nd generatoin I7 2600K- great

value for starters one year ago. Now of the sudden I had this digi tech at my hands coming from SVHS-C camcorders

when I was a teen. Just that Panasonic colors didn´t seem that awesome to me, rather just okay.

Last fall I got my hands onto Davinci and a GTX970 and got myself started into the joys of messing around with video color.

The G6 held a few surprises for me. I´m surprised by the color "hidden" in that 24mbps 24p codec and even the 28mbps for 50p.

A friend of mine wanted me to test some slomo, if codec would hold up for 50p, if she could use Panny Slomo for a kind of a Ballhaus effect for her project.

So there is no plotline here. All handheld, with a 28mm FD, WB at 7000K with A3G3 and some A3M9, harsh sun at 4-6pm.

Some hoolahoop parts are shot in Extele and the closest framing is an additional larger percentage zoomed in with Davinci.

So now I would like to share my share I got out of the Panasonic colors.  :)

Great! I really like your video!
G6 + Canon FD was also my first step in mirrorless world (thanks to Andrew and Andy) and I started to have far better  results than with Canon DSLR.
All the best!

Very cool @PannySVHS I need to sit down and watch some tutorials, because every time I color I just go at it blind... Sometimes I think I literally have my eyes closed. Lol.

i know what you mean about lenses. I've had a few mint lenses that I felt bad taking them out of their box. I've even bought duplicates sometimes. Yeah I noticed the FDs love greens. If you like cooler colors, you should give Minolta MCs a try. The 35mm f/1.8 is the most gorgeous lens I ever used. The bokeh is crazy creamy smooth.

This was a couple years back with the 35mm 1.8 and maybe a couple shots with the 50mm 1.4 on my eos-m. The sound is horrible so don't leave the volume too high.

BTW, you like that Hula Girl, don't you... What would Bobby say?

@mercer Hey man, this is some beautiful footage, great feeling for light and shapes. Loving how you start and end with the tilt. Some great tones, some of the out of focus areas

look like from a painting. Nice concept and effective use of tripod moves. Great job, not easy showing the beauty of foliage and trees. Some parts with the branches look

again like from a painting of one of the greats of landscape painting like C.D.Friedrich.

The girl is a woman and would spank Bobby´s tush if he would say "This is this and that is that".:)

16 hours ago, JazzBox said:

Great! I really like your video!
G6 + Canon FD was also my first step in mirrorless world (thanks to Andrew and Andy) and I started to have far better  results than with Canon DSLR.
All the best!

Hey man, I remember your musicvideo you did with FDs. You were another ambassador making me consider the FDs in combination with the G6.

Was a good choice listening to you guys!:)

cheers

@PannySVHS

Thanks for the kind words. That was the last video I did before I realized I knew absolutely nothing about "proper" video production. Sometimes I think it was better knowing nothing and trusting my gut, than the little I know now.

"The girl is a woman and would spank Bobby´s tush if he would say "This is this and that is that".:)"

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"You... You."

Man you are the best. Seriously, you have one of the best attitudes on this forum and are a laugh riot. I always look forward to your posts!!!

As Matthew McConaughey said the last time we hung out shirtless... "Keep on keepin' on."

33 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@mercer

"You sayin I´m funny???? What you mean, I´m funny. I´m a good laugh to you??????":)

Seriously, I enjoy your passion and your great manners and kindness, your awesome contributions and your friendly straightforwardness.

And that you keep buying and testing so many cameras- ouch, what have I said:)

I know, my purchases are getting out of hand. This time last year I couldn't dream of affording an XC10, no matter how much I wanted one. And then on my quest for my perfect camera and lenses, I acquired enough gear to resell for enough money to afford it this year... It's my own weird savings account. But now, I still have a bunch of lenses to sell and I still need a good interchangeable lens camera. I'll probably just get an Alexa next year...

Seriously though, I am probably leaning towards the GX85 for my interchangeable lens camera, but I'm gonna wait and see what Canon releases at Photokina. One of my favorite things about my first outing with the XC10 for a couple hours yesterday was it reminded me of the good old days with Canon, so I'm intrigued to see what the new eos-m4 will bring, plus the rumored full frame mirrorless that Canon is supposed to release. 

Hey Merc,

show some mercy and shoot some beautiful lucious greens with the xc10, mixed with some 60p :) ,

if time allows. Was kinda thinking about eosm, but g6 has it for me. Next step g7 or gx80, meanwhile renting the xc10.

Got hooked to its look when its promo vid came out with the old guy chasing two guys who robbed a girl´s purse.

While It takes some effort to grade those Pannys it is definately worth it. Great hybrids with some of the best price-picture quality

ratio out there, if not the best for G6 and G7. I think it would be interesting to test A3G3 and such settings more and post

some curves and nodes that go along well.

cheers

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Merc,

show some mercy and shoot some beautiful lucious greens with the xc10, mixed with some 60p :) ,

if time allows. Was kinda thinking about eosm, but g6 has it for me. Next step g7 or gx80, meanwhile renting the xc10.

Got hooked to its look when its promo vid came out with the old guy chasing two guys who robbed a girl´s purse.

While It takes some effort to grade those Pannys it is definately worth it. Great hybrids with some of the best price-picture quality

ratio out there, if not the best for G6 and G7. I think it would be interesting to test A3G3 and such settings more and post

some curves and nodes that go along well.

cheers

Panny, I have very little time to test the camera as I am about to start a short film with it. One more day of testing before I start and it's really just a dress rehearsal, sound test situation. But don't worry, my short takes place entirely in the woods, so they'll be plenty of "greens"... God help us all...

20 hours ago, mercer said:

Panny, I have very little time to test the camera as I am about to start a short film with it. One more day of testing before I start and it's really just a dress rehearsal, sound test situation. But don't worry, my short takes place entirely in the woods, so they'll be plenty of "greens"... God help us all...

Nice! Enjoy the woods, happy filmin!