Editing your own footage: How do you look at it all objectively?

freeman

Hey guys, so I know there's a lot of traffic right now in another thread about some unfortunate dealing in the film community. Want to ask a positive question during my afternoon coffee break. I've been working non stop all week on editing a big project I shot for a few months early this year... I want to ask the community out here: To all who are both cinematographer and editor on their projects what helps you edit your footage objectively? What do you keep in mind to help separate yourself from the footage you shot and know in and out? This is a very subjective question as there is no 'right' answer. Do you just need time away from it? Curious how you all deal with this phenomenon. I definitely am attached to my footage and feel a connection with many 'good' shots that I want to use but may not be necessary to the true story of the project.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is a great question. Walter Murch told me that the first time he watches the footage he treats pretty sacredly and he just tries to not think about anything like structure prematurely. He's editing it for someone whose first impression is key (the audience) so he holds his first impression with respect. He'll observe his emotional response to footage, then try to work around the right emotion, stringing the rest together, and making compromises for continuity etc. along the way. There's no map of the coverage. It's just wow that show has emotion. We'll use it.

If you're not prepared to throw it all out (not all of it, but any given shot), hire an editor. I mean you need some structure to get things done reasonably quickly so chances are you won't throw every single good shot out. But never consider the time on set because then you'll feel you need to do penance in post spending equally as much time making it work when you can just... delete...

Getting notes can help. When I feel like I'm up my own ass I get notes. Someone recommended getting client notes often so they feel like they're on the same page. As soon as it's presentable, but make sure it's presentable. For personal work, if I watch something with family members in particular (they're usually by some margin the most critical audience, I've found) I can tell when something is working and it isn't. But they're usually so mean I just give up so I only show them the best stuff and instead I ask friends who offer more constructive criticism generally. 

Policar Walter Murch is definitely one of my favorite editors. I watch some of his videos the same way I listen to Alan Watts lectures, very profound stuff! Hiring an editor (or just working with one) is definitely on my list of priorities as I grow my freelance work. I film and film and film and then have 3-4 projects that all need to be cut, it can seem like no progress is every made. One of the challenges of the one man band production. Also +1 on notes, I use a small notebook to jot down how i'm feeling about footage or concepts that come to my mind while I watch. And I know what you mean about picking the right people to show rough draft work.

I echo @Policar and @freeman on notes, and definitely from people you trust to give you good, honest feedback but also relevant because you also trust their artistic opinion.

If I'm ever confronted with a beautiful shot that doesn't quite fit, I like to tell myself that I can save that shot to sell as stock footage. I never do, but it helps me mentally in the moment hahahahah

For me, I start editing, then leave it alone for at least a couple of days. The longer you can ignore it the better, especially if you can film or edit another project in between. When you come back to the footage, you'll see some things to axe or change because you've gotten over the newness of the footage.

And, like has already been mentioned, show it to a few people that will give you honest opinions. Tell them "I'm not looking for compliments, I need to know what's working. Please tell me everything good and bad, especially the bad."

I get drunk. Then I get upset to whoever the hell shoot this (me).

Joking aside It's impossible to separate you from your footage; you shoot it, you know it for better or worst. But yes, like Policar said, go with whatever feels right for you and more emotionally near of what you want to tell. But first follow your script or plan because it's a question of tweaking until almost perfect. Also get the opinion from somebody you trust who will be impartial and sincere.

And then get drunk on the edit bay. :glasses: