Red one, epic, scarlet x prices

zerocool22

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You could get a decent ready to shoot epic kit for around $10-11k minus lens. But that's still hard to find though, and usually have high hours 700+. I'm sure you'll find one, just keep looking. 

I had the opportunity to find $7-9k USD just for an epic-x brain. You figure a complete kit for roughly $10k is very good. I'm mostly seeing them though in the $12-16k. I'm sure as more weapons come out, people will be selling off their epic/scarlet. 

Scarlets are going for a lot less, but with minimal accessories. You can get a scarlet brain for around $3-4k. But again you still need the accessories. You can find a ready to shoot kit, easily around $6-9k.

Hold out for the next 6-months or so and you'll find one that fits your budget.

Wrong .  Jarred announced this week on RedUser that Epic owners will have a new upgrade route to EPIC WEAPON and it will be a new HELIUM sensor . 

This is really cool because they gave Epic owners a year to upgrade to Dragon and then shut it down with no upgrade option End Of Line .

This announcement instantly gives these cameras way more resale value. 

To bad other camera companies don't do this.

As a former red owner and operator, be aware of the full costs of your shooting kit, outside of the brain/camera body. Almost every RED accessory is proprietary and much more expensive than its corresponding part in another ecosystem. 

As far as the cameras being "dated," most of their features hold up, because they were really ahead of its time. Other manufacturers have caught up in some ways, but the dynamic range, redcode, resolution, etc. are all pretty competitive or even preferable. A lot of people, including David Fincher, Peter Jackson, and Steven Soderbergh, like using it. 

Look at Red's track record as far as theatrical release and broadcast. Alexa is more common, but there's a major price difference there as well. 

But you should treat it like a full production camera and have the budget to support it.

You shouldn't go Red because you think it's "cheap." It won't be. 

1 hour ago, Leica50mm said:

To bad other camera companies don't do this.

To be honest... the whole upgrade thing is sometimes more of a headache than just selling up and buying new.

You upgrade your sensor... they bring out a new body... you upgrade the body and have to buy new components... then a new sensor comes out and then a new body... then new components...

Argghh!

get a red one mx and call it a day.

i have 2.  fincher and me both prefer the look of the red one mx over the red epic mx.  and the dragon sensor I think is beige and just weird looking. 

now that 4k is standard and so is raw, I really don't see them lasting too much longer as a company.  

You can't just keep promising future cameras and then when they come out, have them be in poor shape.

it doesn't work.

and especially since the alexa mini is as small as a red now, there is even less need

as a niche VFX camera, sure.

Yeah if I could, I would buy an alexa mini. But it will take a lot of years before they hit the 10k margin. Yeah the red one would be ok, but I do fly a ronin mx, and the red one is just a tad too big for my ronin mx. 

So the x sensor is also upgradeble to Helium? Any link to that article/news?

Thanks!

Thanks, It might be a larger cost. As in the past I believe the epic-x could not upgrade to weapon, as they did not upgrade to dragon within a time limit. So the cost of a new one could perhaps come in close to a new body itself, where it would make sense to just buy a new body that isnt worn out. 

ha I guess time will only tell :). In the meantime other brands will also release camera's, so Im sure I will get some better options within a year.

RED's "upgrade" path is just pure marketing spin, don't buy into it. The costs are so high you could buy an entire new camera (such as a FS7 or Terra 5K) and end up having TWO cameras! You're previous one and a new one. 

If you have a $10k and looking to buy a RED, look instead into a Kinefinity Terra 5K when it comes out, and have plenty of cash left over afterwards to spoil yourself with an extra lens or two. 

We've got the KineMax 6K already to get a feel for the Terra 6K, and they're got a track record (KineMini etc). If I was in your shoes I'd feel confident about waiting for the Terra 5K to see what comes along and happens. No harm in waiting!