Review of Yiletec 13 inch monitor

Zak Forsman

I put up a slightly more detailed review at my site, but wanted to share most of my thoughts here too.

http://zakforsman.com/a-solid-13-3-field-monitor/

I've been kicking myself for not taking part in the Osee 15.6" Field Monitor group buys that were running a month or so ago. The current $995 price tag is a little hard for me to swallow, so I started hunting for a more affordable alternative. I found this 13.3" 1080p panel, called the Yiletec 1303MCPT. It had some crucial aspects: 1080p, full size HDMI port, built-in VESA mounts. So I pulled the trigger. It arrived today.

IMG_4708-1024x683.jpg

I set up my rig with the Odyssey 7Q+ sending a feed over HDMI, powered it up, and my initial reaction was: nice detailed image, black blacks, but the colors are wrong. I went into the monitors's Picture Menu and made some quick adjustments: pulled down the color saturation, set color temp, turned of noise reduction, and so on.

IMG_4714-1024x683.jpg

Within seconds I had pretty closely matched my Odyssey's screen. The second I knew this was a keeper, I ripped off the protective film covering the screen, and mounted it to a Kupo VESA light stand mount.

IMG_4710-1024x683.jpg

The listings for this monitor neglect some key details. I knew some specs before buying it. Brightness: 350cd/m2, Contrast: 700:1, Resolution: 1920×1080. But there were no reviews for it anywhere. I couldn't tell how much it weighed or how much control I'd have to dial in the image.

IMG_4715-1024x683.jpg

Happy to say it met most of my hopes. It's bright with good contrast and reminds me of my MacBook Air screen in many ways. Color rendition is good. In all likelihood this is an 8 bit display. I'm guessing it weighs about 3 pounds. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the glossy finish. But it's no different than the screen of my Odyssey 7Q+, or SmallHD 502. That being said, I am on the hunt for a suitable sunshade now.

Another concern I had was if there would be an issue with 24hz frequencies because only 60hz and 50hz were listed. So I ran through all the framerate settings the Micro Cinema Camera had to change its output and was glad to see the monitor black out and sync up with each of the 60hz, 50hz, and 24hz signals. It even displays the incoming signal frequency in the bottom left corner, confirming its compatibility without a doubt. I also can't detect any additional lag when viewed side by side with the monitor I'm looping the signal through.

Granted I've only had it in my possession for half a day, but I don't have any hesitation in recommending this monitor to budget conscious filmmakers who want a little more screen real estate on set. I bought the version housed in a plastic casing -- it's solidly built, don't let "plastic" make you think it feels cheap. However, there is also a metal version, but I was concerned about its weight. Either way, it's priced at $339 on Amazon. A steal. When I bought it, an additional $17 was taken off in the cart as a promotional discount. Even better. And a worthy addition to my arsenal.

Here's the link to the Amazon listing. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DFZFYKW/

IMG_4718-1024x683.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great find!! If only I had the cash I'd leap on this as a client/director's monitor on set, to pair it with cheapie HDMI wireless. Though they're very scarce on the ground! But this here might be an option:

=========================

https://www.amazon.com/YILETEC-13-3-OPEN-FRAME-YL-1303T/dp/B00SXI3VWU/

I see this one is listed as sold "by Lilliput", which is of course well known brand of monitors. 

Wonder what is the relationship of Lilliput and YILETEC, a subsidiary brand perhaps?

There even is a 15.6" monitor at the same identical low low price as the 13.3" model:

https://www.amazon.com/YILETEC-15-6-YL-156MPCT-CAPACITIVE-MULTI-TOUCH/dp/B01CF1BPTG/

yeah, the specs of the 15.6" are slightly different. slightly less bright, slightly less contrast. but the price is great. would love to hear from someone that gives it a shot though.

I *did* notice Lilliput carries these monitors (plastic, metal & open frame versions) in their online store too. I bought mine from Viviteq in City of Industry, CA through their Amazon Store. Not sure if Lilliput has a relationship with the Yiletec brand beyond just being a reseller. Maybe.

Last, something i neglected to mention is that the monitor also has Red, Green, Blue gain settings to really dial in the color. Using that I was able to match the calibrated broadcast monitor I color grade with very, very close.

This is ridiculous, I know. But putting the monitor on the rods only adds 3.5lbs. And the camera provides peaking, zebras, a rec709 LUT of sorts, 2.39:1 overlay. only thing that I use that's missing is false color.

enGkyOs.jpg

I rigged a quick mounting solution here. I wonder if they make a VESA plate that would mount directly to the 1/4"-20 end of my Noga arm.

sTl7MZG.jpg