The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

I think it's a nice 4k image, but I still would take my NX1 over the X-T2, at this point. That opinion may change as it's still way to early yet. I do own the Xpro2, and I love the 1080p image! It will be interesting to see if Fuji releases the 4k to the Xpro2, I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't, they, Fuji, should let owners enjoy the capability of the camera. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Why does @The Chris always get so mad when someone mentions an NX1 ? Lol damn. 

Im waiting for the xt2 reviews cause since none of us held it we cant judge ergonomics or any of the physical components of the hardware. The fuji x lenses look sweet and I love what I've seen people do with em. I would've went fuji a lonnnnng time ago if their video didnt suck as much as it used too. The xpro2 was a great step up but now the xt2 is looking like the answer

Not mad at all, but some NX1 users are beating a dead horse - literally. Just about everyone on the planet shopping for a new camera isn't looking at the NX1 - and if they were, they wouldn't be looking in a thread about a Fuji camera. Despite its hardware, lots of people passed on the NX1 in favor of other ecosystems. There's more to a camera than great processing and a good sensor - that's where Fuji has succeeded and where Samsung failed. Enjoy your camera.

Cheers.

48 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

Nobody cares? Then you are nobody ;-) since you are the one who does not care. 

Anyway, you don't understand what I mean, and this is probably a limit of me (as a writer) and of you, as someone ignoring the capabilities of a great camera. It's not 'my precious'. It's an outstanding piece of hardware, well ahead of its time that, like many other tech goods, was underrated and surpassed in sales by way inferior products, due to ignorance (i.e. lack of knowledge) of potential buyers, like those thinking that this xt2 is something 'new and great'.

I have to agree with this, although the Samsung NX1 is kaput in the manufactures support, it's still a pretty amazing camera, and yes, it was way ahead of it's time. The biggest problem for the NX1 was it's acceptance by enough end users, which is why Samsung dumped it. Since the NX1, many cameras have tried to emulate it, the A6300 is a good example. True, the NX1 is far from perfect, nothing is perfect, but the camera will produce one helluva 4k image, that is undeniable!

4 minutes ago, Steve M. said:

I have to agree with this, although the Samsung NX1 is kaput in the manufactures support, it's still a pretty amazing camera, and yes, it was way ahead of it's time. The biggest problem for the NX1 was it's acceptance by enough end users, which is why Samsung dumped it. Since the NX1, many cameras have tried to emulate it, the A6300 is a good example. True, the NX1 is far from perfect, nothing is perfect, but the camera will produce one helluva 4k image, that is undeniable!

It was always over sharp though, didn't have much dynamic range, and the rolling shutter sucked. They are the reasons I gave it a pass.

I can never really get anything from test videos like these.. in this case they may say more about the camera than others, since fuji picture profiles were used sometimes and will be used by people who get it for video, and most other cameras need a lot of adjusting first.. but it's all so cheesy I have no idea if it looks good. Anyone know yet if the d500 has the d750's secret formula but in 4k? That would give me some more hope here, since I was also unimpressed by those tests

2 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Yup. All manufacturer test vids suck. The vids they used to premiere the gh4 were terrible ! This fuji vid in 4K looks amazing, sharp without being oversharp with great highlight roll off and skintones @Liam

Good to hear. I honestly just can't tell because of the content haha. Though all my screens to view it are pretty crappy at the moment too

8 hours ago, sanveer said:

If it has the same sensor as the Sony A6300, it should have similar rolling shutter. Maybe the algorith tries to compensate for that, jumping between faster shutter speed and doing the opposite effect of Twixtor, and thereby having a mini circus in the camera.

Very amusing. Also, the battery grip has 2 power options, the higher one being able to use higher volt or something for 4k, as well as have a higher burst rate (or just longer battery life, which I doubt). Adding a headphone socket still doesn't justify the much higher battery cost. 

It doesn't have the same sensor. Fuji sensors are manufactured by Sony, but they are unique (as far as I can tell) to Fuji. Regardless, rolling shutter should be better than the A6300 because of the 1.17 crop when shooting 4K. HD mode should also be a lot better, and I'd imagine it will come pretty close to the A7s crop mode (in terms of quality). That being said I wonder how bad it will be, because the shutter speed seems cranked up in all the video examples (most of which are shot at 30fps anyways). I also think Fuji puts more care in the implementation of features than Sony does, which is evidenced by the 4K crop, and recording limits. 

Also where are people hearing that F-Log is HDMI only? I can't seem to find anything about that. 

In any case I can't wait to see some real world tests, because right now this camera looks like a serious contender in the world of mirrorless video. 

1 hour ago, MattH said:

It was always over sharp though, didn't have much dynamic range, and the rolling shutter sucked. They are the reasons I gave it a pass.

4k is a resolution animal, so it's overly sharp by it's own nature. These are all things that are easily dialed to taste. As far as dynamic range, in my experience, it has the same dynamic range as any of the 8bit 4-2-0 capture codecs, which is practically all the DSLR/DSLM cameras.

15 hours ago, Ehetyz said:

Am I the only one who finds the motion in several of those videos to look really strange? Especially in the Beautiful Riot and Akiyama-go - videos.

Most of the motion is overtly fluid, like it's shot in 60i or very low shutter speeds. Or forced in post from PAL to NTSC. Very unpleasant look imho.

No, you're not the only one! I can't really see what folks are getting so excited about. Very clinical and video-y to my eyes.

10 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Some of you really think this will be better for video than a GH5? I respect that everyone has their own needs, but I still find that surprising.

Better is relative to the user! I think the film simulations are cool, well, I know they're cool because I have the Xpro2, and yes, cool! Personally, I think for video, the Panasonic GH5 would be the better camera, however, I don't think the GH5 can beat Fuji's color science, and, I don't think any camera manufacturer beats Panasonic's reliablility, they seem to never have issues with their cameras!!