The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

Just updated the firmware and did a quick AF-C test and it seems night & day as far as speed & precision! 

Tested on the 23mm/1.4 at F1.4 with moving subject and tracking was flawless (and that's not a very fast focusing lens).

Will do further testing during the weekend but I'm pretty impressed already at what Fuji pulled off here...

The RGB Histogram & Highlight warning is only available on stills shooting though.. and still no internal F-Log :((

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
36 minutes ago, Django said:

Just updated the firmware and did a quick AF-C test and it seems night & day as far as speed & precision! 

Tested on the 23mm/1.4 at F1.4 with moving subject and tracking was flawless (and that's not a very fast focusing lens).

Will do further testing during the weekend but I'm pretty impressed already at what Fuji pulled off here...

The RGB Histogram & Highlight warning is only available on stills shooting though.. and still no internal F-Log :((

Was that in video mode? And does the focus still pulsate even when the object is still?

53 minutes ago, Django said:

You can enable the highlight warning separately in the display custom settings, then it works in video mode too. But unfortunately you are correct about the RGB histogram, there is no way to show that in video mode.

I few weeks ago made a video about F-Log, you might find it helpful:

As you can see you can live without F-Log, and it's not without problems. I guess you would run into even more problems if it was recorded in-camera with 100Mbps H.264.

33 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Was that in video mode? And does the focus still pulsate even when the object is still?

Yes video mode of course... I've only done a few short tests but so far no hunting on static or moving subjects. Very steady, precise tracking. Like i said night & day with before.

Maybe not quite dual pixel good but definitely on par with the best PDAF i've seen from latest Sony etc.. will do further testings this weekend..

On 12/1/2017 at 10:04 AM, Attila Bakos said:

You can enable the highlight warning separately in the display custom settings, then it works in video mode too. But unfortunately you are correct about the RGB histogram, there is no way to show that in video mode.

I few weeks ago made a video about F-Log, you might find it helpful

As you can see you can live without F-Log, and it's not without problems. I guess you would run into even more problems if it was recorded in-camera with 100Mbps H.264.

I find the XT2 codec quite robust.. compared to let's say XAVC-S. Not to mention I used to shoot Canon Log no problem on the tiny 28Mbps AVCHD codec of the C100..

I'll admit I did run into some rather strange color issues when recording F-Log couple weeks ago on a Shogun but it could have been user error or white balance related.

Like most 8-bit log profiles F-Log can be tricky I agree but as you point out in your video the extra DR can be useful but also important for color grading outside rec709 space.

I just think it's really annoying only having F-LOG available externally, it's an odd limitation imo and was hoping Fuji would give us that by now.. 

Kudos though for finding how to activate the highlight warning in video mode!

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend some native lenses for the X-T20 that have good auto-focus or even a decent manual focus ring?

I got the 27mm 2.8 pancake lens for photos but it is awful for any video work. It forever hunts and the motor is noisy and gets picked up with the audio.

I also have the 16-50 XC zoom but was looking for a prime or a better zoom.

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

The 50mm f/2 is a superb lens

Thanks. I'm tempted to invest in the 23 and 50 f2 if they don't hunt and have decent autofocus. It seems a great hybrid camera for casual video shoots and capturing moments with its jpeg engine.

• 1 year later...

2 years later and these are selling used for around $500! Just got one about a week ago. Its really not a bad camera for what you get. Great color science, internal log, downsampled 6k with decent rolling shutter, respectable low light performance. 3 years from now it will be amazing what cameras like the XT3 or GH5S or Nikon Z6 might be selling for. 

Shot this a couple days ago with the XT2. 

• 6 months later...