The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

3 hours ago, TrueIndigo said:

I bought the Panasonic GH1 when it first came out to resurrect some C-mount lenses I had. Having got the X-T2 in mind for a possible future purchase, I was wondering if the 4K crop would make it practical for C-mount lenses? I'm thinking, if I cropped the 16:9 frame yet again (top and bottom) for 2.39:1, maybe you could get away with just slight vignetting? Anyone tried C-mount lenses on it? Would be great to bring those old lenses back into use again (I have a Schnieder 10mm and Angenieux 15mm).

Well, it's an aps-c sensor, so your 10 and 15mm will be like looking through a peephole, even with the 1.75x crop. You may get away with a 1" C-Mount 25mm if the flange distance even works for the XT-2 and c-mounts?

Edit: after looking at some c-mount adapters for the X line of cameras, it does seem that c-mount lenses will focus to infinity with the X-T2. But you will still have sensor coverage issues. With the EOS-M, which has a 1.6x crop, a 25mm wouldn't cover enough for a 2:35 crop, but it was close. So, the Kern 26mm may work.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Max is a nice kid, but doesn't seem to me as experienced. Obviously does some weddings, but everyone and their mothers(that is a true fact!) do weddings these days. It is much more difficult and demanding to stay in competitive industries such as TV productions.He will be dissapointed by both Ursa and Kinefity, but whatever, I am sure he will figure it out in the end, he is a bright young man!

I am really impressed by Fuji, in just one generation has done what Sony hasn't in 3. The next one will be undeniably the best APS-C camera around, and we will see.. I am really tempted to sell everything NX and move to Fuji, but they are not there yet, and they lack a small B cam (NX1 and NX500), a native fish eye, and a few more things (touch screen, different ergonomics maybe, a couple of lenses improvements). Maybe I'll wait a year or two!

7 hours ago, Inazuma said:

tl;dr on that video:

He loves the camera but won't buy it because he personally wants something with IBIS or a more major camera like the BM Ursa. 

Max kind of threw me for a loop when, after knocking the rolling shutter, overheating, dim LCD screen, color, menu system, overpriced and limited lens selection, and so on, he went for the Sony after all. ? 

well i've had an XT2 (+ kit lens) with me for couple days.. and i'm having really mixed feelings about it. some very strange issues from the OIS lens (image randomly starts "bouncing"?!) , screen refresh rate randomly alternates from smooth to choppy, judder/RS fairly noticeable. i'm also finding quite a bit amount of aliasing/moire (probably due to lack of AA filter). ergonomically, switching from stills to movie mode isn't a quick operation (coming from the Canikon world) as you've got to click over to several positions and the lever itself is very uncomfortable to manipulate imo. same for the AF switch: tiny, stiff and hard to tell which mode you're on without flipping the camera over. then of course lack of zebras/exposure tools and no internal log also a handicap. menu wise i can't seem to find any custom modes as i'd like various highlight, shadow & sharpness saved profiles (speaking of which anybody recommend a good flat setting?). at the very least independent video from stills settings would be nice..

so yeah that's quite a bunch of complaints i know, mostly stuff fixable through firmware though.. the film simulation and color science are still the main attraction, but for professional video i still think Sony is way ahead. XT2 is just a bit too quirky and video feels a bit beta. I'm giving it a couple more days but good chance it's going back at this point.

4 hours ago, mercer said:

It doesn't even have a meter?

It's got a tiny scale running vertically to the left of the screen showing + or - up to 2 EV, which is harder to see than on my very first camera, the Konica Auto S2, which cost $70. I think they could do better than that. How could serious reviewers fail to mention the lack of zebras, or that, when switching over to movie mode from stills, the (super tiny) histogram suddenly disappears? Moreover, as Davey rightly points out, many of those reviews have been video-centric. 

6 hours ago, Django said:

well i've had an XT2 (+ kit lens) with me for couple days.. and i'm having really mixed feelings about it. some very strange issues from the OIS lens (image randomly starts "bouncing"?!) , screen refresh rate randomly alternates from smooth to choppy, judder/RS fairly noticeable. i'm also finding quite a bit amount of aliasing/moire (probably due to lack of AA filter). ergonomically, switching from stills to movie mode isn't a quick operation (coming from the Canikon world) as you've got to click over to several positions and the lever itself is very uncomfortable to manipulate imo. same for the AF switch: tiny, stiff and hard to tell which mode you're on without flipping the camera over. then of course lack of zebras/exposure tools and no internal log also a handicap. menu wise i can't seem to find any custom modes as i'd like various highlight, shadow & sharpness saved profiles (speaking of which anybody recommend a good flat setting?). at the very least independent video from stills settings would be nice..

so yeah that's quite a bunch of complaints i know, mostly stuff fixable through firmware though.. the film simulation and color science are still the main attraction, but for professional video i still think Sony is way ahead. XT2 is just a bit too quirky and video feels a bit beta. I'm giving it a couple more days but good chance it's going back at this point.

And to the best of my knowledge, the camera never will have IBIS, something to do with Fuji's sensor... And, yes, in order to go from movie mode to stills, you've got to struggle with a small lever beneath the ISO dial and turn it FOUR clicks. The AFS, AFC, and M switch could easily have been placed to the right of the joystick so users wouldn't have to keep flipping the camera over to change the settings. Unfortunately, I don't have the option of returning the camera. To be fair, I only just got the camera and only had a chance to try to set it up, which was confusing, but so was my GH4 when I first got it. I haven't shot with it yet, and don't want to come across as a hater or anything. The X-T2 is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship - no shitty plastic anywhere, the dials are all engraved, the lenses are metal and have equally impressive build quality. It feels great in the hand, just like my Nokton 17.5mm. And even Fuji's firmware update page was a revelation coming from Panasonic's. But I wanted to express my serious disappointment in all the reviewers, who failed to mention many of the quirks that might be of interest to video shooters. 

I couldn't resist throwing in this ad for an earlier Konica. :)

4684966304_da63776dd7_z.jpg

I finally went out and shot with the camera. The 16-55mm f/2.8mm is incredibly sharp. AWB, which I've never, ever trusted to my Lumix cameras, was spot-on. Not having to tinker for hours with the color in FCP is a godsend. Speaking of which, the new FCP X 10.3.1 interface is exceptional, and even on my 2013 iMac, rendering time has substantially decreased. My overall impression of the X-T2 is overwhelmingly positive. Touch screen and IBIS be damned! :blush:

18 hours ago, Django said:

well i've had an XT2 (+ kit lens) with me for couple days.. and i'm having really mixed feelings about it. some very strange issues from the OIS lens (image randomly starts "bouncing"?!)

Yes the 18-55 lens has to be updated, I also run into this problem when I bought the X-T2 kit, It is not something you expect when buying a brand new camera. But after updating the lens, ois is very close to the ibis of my GX85. I absolutely recommand buying the kit, this lens is definitely worth the 300 Euro/Dollar when you buy it in the kit.

For a flat setting you can probably best use negative standard with al the other settings dialled down to the lowest value.

In the Q menu you can save up to seven different camera profiles.

I picked up a X-T2 kit just for our holiday to Kos (Greece) and started shooting there figuring out the settings on the way.
After some days I choose Astia low which worked best for me under these high contrast circumstances.

I put together some footage I shot on Kos, nothing spectacular all handhold, mainly shot with the kit lens and the 50-230 f4.5-6.7, which I bought for 180 Euro.

Greets Jan

3 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

There's a FW update to address this, it surfaced when it was first released.

1 hour ago, Jan G said:

Yes the 18-55 lens has to be updated, I also run into this problem when I bought the X-T2 kit, It is not something you expect when buying a brand new camera.

Indeed, and you'd think reviewers or even Fuji would mention this rather major issue with it's kit lens.. i didn't even know lenses had FW updates tbh.. speaking of which i found the following page rather cryptic (only a .DAT file and zero instructions?):

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/lens/xf18-55mm/download.html