The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here

Mattias Burling

2 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

you are the pathetic One

Sorry about the pathetic comment, the NX1 just keeps getting inserted into discussions on this board that aren't about the NX1. It seems like every new thread about Camera X has post after post showing how/why the NX1 is better than Camera X. Its a very closed system, and its dead. I'll head elsewhere to discuss the Fuji. But I digress, and I apologize.

Cheers

Back to the XT2, here's a little 4k BTS clip.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, The Chris said:

Sorry about the pathetic comment, the NX1 just keeps getting inserted into discussions on this board that aren't about the NX1. It seems like every new thread about Camera X has post after post showing how/why the NX1 is better than Camera X. Its a very closed system, and its dead. I'll head elsewhere to discuss the Fuji. But I digress, and I apologize.

Cheers

Back to the XT2, here's a little 4k BTS clip.

am i the only one who cant stand the look of like 16mm equiv lenses, it just looks wierd.

5 hours ago, PabloB said:

Impressive, looks like in good light the autofocus can be quite useful.

Any idea which lens they used? I did a video test on an X-T1 to see which lenses could potentially work for video. I concluded that I'd really need a stabilized lens for a usable handheld result. Either that or use a tripod.

I don't care as much about stabilization for photography, but a stabilized version of the 16-55 f2.8 would be really great, perhaps almost essential, for handheld video.

7 hours ago, Mervyn said:

Impressive, looks like in good light the autofocus can be quite useful.

Any idea which lens they used? I did a video test on an X-T1 to see which lenses could potentially work for video. I concluded that I'd really need a stabilized lens for a usable handheld result. Either that or use a tripod.

I don't care as much about stabilization for photography, but a stabilized version of the 16-55 f2.8 would be really great, perhaps almost essential, for handheld video.

That was from Rico's first look on Fuji Rumors, both shots were handheld using the 50-140 zoom at 140mm, or 210mm in FF terms. 

We have some FLog to download:

In FCPX, I was able to pull down the highlights so that the roll-off seemed less harsh, but no detail recovered. Even after bringing the blacks down and applying a curve, shadows remained quite noisy.

This is a fairly extreme dr scene but I am struck by the amount of shadow noise at base ISO. My C100 is my baseline.

Curious what others think.

Something feels wrong with that clip. Apart from being clipped, less detailed than the out of camera and what looks like alasing. But could be bad compression too.
Maybe it's soft because it hit diffraction limit?
Noise could be there to reduce banding, but without more info it's hard to know.
Also notice the color banding/blocks/rainbows on the left chair and floor tiles. Without a lossless look at the signal coming from the port it's hard to judge the camera properly. But at least the feature is there for those situations that need it.

Hi guys first post around here, im mostly a video guy but love to take stills. the thing is being a Fuji "fan" and owning a XE2 and 4 fuji x lenses i really wanted this camera to be great. and on paper it sure looks like it, but after watching the footage around the internet i must say im disappointed.

That video in japan: the forest lacks detail (looks mushy) and the blown-out highlights are ugly. i downloaded the Flog file from vimeo but as some people say it doesnt look good at all. Other samples seem to have a lot of compression artifacts. and overall micro-detail mushyness. the only images that look ok are the byw. and i mean ok, not great.

I really hope it has something to do with pre-production samples, underdeveloped firmware, or just still guys doing video. I still havent lost my hopes but if "this is it" im probably going for a A7sII. what do you guys think? thanks!

Dave.

5 hours ago, damoke said:

Hi guys first post around here, im mostly a video guy but love to take stills. the thing is being a Fuji "fan" and owning a XE2 and 4 fuji x lenses i really wanted this camera to be great. and on paper it sure looks like it, but after watching the footage around the internet i must say im disappointed.

That video in japan: the forest lacks detail (looks mushy) and the blown-out highlights are ugly. i downloaded the Flog file from vimeo but as some people say it doesnt look good at all. Other samples seem to have a lot of compression artifacts. and overall micro-detail mushyness. the only images that look ok are the byw. and i mean ok, not great.

I really hope it has something to do with pre-production samples, underdeveloped firmware, or just still guys doing video. I still havent lost my hopes but if "this is it" im probably going for a A7sII. what do you guys think? thanks!

Dave.

Yeah, I kinda agree, I haven't seen anything impressive at all, in fact, it amazes me Fuji never put this camera into the hands of a DP to produce something that kicked ass! Maybe this camera has no kick ass, although it is still in beta. Below is a frame grab from a recent shoot with my Fuji XPro2, and in my opinion I haven't seen an image from the X-T2 that touches that image! And yes, that's SOOC.

image.png

2 hours ago, iamoui said:

Watching this, I'm starting to feel much more excited about this camera and future Fuji cameras. They seem to be taking video seriously. Of course it could just be propaganda and the video will be a total bust, but I want to see what this camera can do with 4:2:2 F-Log. They sound determined to get it right.

This direct engagement "from the horses mouth" is always assuring, particularly from a company the size of Fujifilm. It's worth noting that this FLog is their first iteration.

I wonder what the limitation/choice between 8-bit and 10-bit is? If they are already doing the HDMI out at 4:2:2, why not raise the bit-rate as well? It's certainly not that they have another camera they are worried about undercutting (cough, Canon.) But I've no idea about the hardware and processing requirements.

7 hours ago, Flynn said:

Of course it could just be propaganda

Even if it is just "propaganda" it is still a positive sign! As a company doesn't bother to think up and put out propaganda if they don't at least have some thoughts about targeting that market segment. Better than totally ignoring it!

I'm really interested in this thing. The A7s isn't up to scratch for my film work, but it's not too bad for stills. The X-T2 sounds like a good replacement choice that can do both. Love the retro film vibe, and the Fuji 23mm f/1.4 looks great. Metabones don't make a Fuji X to EF speedbooster; what's with that?

5 minutes ago, squig said:

I'm really interested in this thing. The A7s isn't up to scratch for my film work, but it's not too bad for stills. The X-T2 sounds like a good replacement choice that can do both. Love the retro film vibe, and the Fuji 23mm f/1.4 looks great. Metabones don't make a Fuji X to EF speedbooster; what's with that?

There are no smart adapters for Fuji X, therefore the lack of aperture control with Canon EF probably makes the market unattractive.

1 minute ago, Phil A said:

There are no smart adapters for Fuji X, therefore the lack of aperture control with Canon EF probably makes the market unattractive.

I don't need aperture control; I've got a set of Leica-Rs with screwed on Leitax EF adapters. But I'm thinking of selling the A7s and getting the X-T2 and the 23mm just for shooting production stills and BTS footage.