My Review of the Zhiyun Crane 3-Axis Gimbal

Mattias Burling

the difference between my footage and his are night and day... I already send the gimbal away, but I know it was perfectly balanced, everything at center gravity. Now Im wondering if I maybe had a faulty unit, or if there was something else to be done. I didn't try any other batteries by the way, didn't even know that that was a possibility...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In reply to my email this morning about maximum payloads and batteries, customer service at Zhiyun had this to say,

Hello,
Thanks for supporting Zhiyun.For Crane gimbal, its standard  working voltage is 8.4 V, equal with two 18650 Li-ion batteries. There is no requirement about the max payload needs max voltage.

The the payload, 1200g is a understatement, it can support much heavier weight in fact, just needs to balance the camera well, I had try more than 1200g, but i don't sure 1500g is supported or not, in normal time, we don't suggest to use.

--

Any question, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Rose

On August 16, 2016 at 0:43 PM, Gerbert Floor said:

the difference between my footage and his are night and day... I already send the gimbal away, but I know it was perfectly balanced, everything at center gravity. Now Im wondering if I maybe had a faulty unit, or if there was something else to be done. I didn't try any other batteries by the way, didn't even know that that was a possibility...

The difference between whose footage and yours? The YouTube video shot with a Tokina 11-16mm? What camera and lens combination were you using? The Sony A7s MkII and Nikkor 24mm f/2 AIS? Which lens adaptor were you using? I don't know which Zacuto quick release plate you were using, but without it, your camera/lens combination is just about the same weight as my GH4 with 12-35mm. What precisely was wrong with your stabilizer? Do you have any footage you can share?

I'm also curious - you said you ordered this around a week ago, so you can't have had the stabilizer for more than a couple of days, and you've already sent it back? Very strange!

On July 25, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Michael Ma said:

Kinda hard to believe but when Zhiyun says 4KG, they usually mean it.

Michael - how do you know this? Do you work for Zhiyun Tech? To the best of my knowledge, Zhiyun has never produced a two-handed gimbal before this one. Up until very recently, they have been known for their small stabilizers for cellphones... This unit has not even been tested yet because it hasn't even been released. And as if this statement weren't ridiculous enough, why would it be 'hard to believe' that a two-handed stabilizer could support 4Kg? I'm missing something here... Zhiyun Tech hasn't been producing stabilizers for professional cameras long enough for anyone to assert what they 'usually mean'.

On August 8, 2016 at 5:40 AM, Gerbert Floor said:

I went ahead and ordered this one, just too good price wise not to try it out. I wanted the Letus Helix Jr. because I love that design and it's more future proof, but if this works than I guess the price difference is just too big.

You're talking about a $3,000 stabilizer (magnesium) rated at 12 pounds here vs. a pistol grip stabilizer costing $600 with a max payload of a little over 2 pounds. The less expensive Helix (aluminum) costs half as much, but weighs almost 6 pounds. I wouldn't call something that will break your back 'future proof'... You'll have spent all that money, only to find yourself looking for a lighter gimbal, just like many Ronin M users have been doing.

20 hours ago, jonpais said:

Michael - how do you know this? Do you work for Zhiyun Tech? To the best of my knowledge, Zhiyun has never produced a two-handed gimbal before this one. Up until very recently, they have been known for their small stabilizers for cellphones... This unit has not even been tested yet because it hasn't even been released. And as if this statement weren't ridiculous enough, why would it be 'hard to believe' that a two-handed stabilizer could support 4Kg? I'm missing something here... Zhiyun Tech hasn't been producing stabilizers for professional cameras long enough for anyone to assert what they 'usually mean'.

Actually I don't know.  I'm not sure why I said it.  I think I was just replying to someone that said 4g and maybe he changed his comment since.  Just googling it, I see that they support 1200g.  However, in their own videos, they show it working with a 5D2 with a 16-35mm L.  At least 1450g.  I might pick one of these up soon for my 80D + 10-22mm.

On August 20, 2016 at 8:11 AM, chief_sun said:

I'm trying to decide between this Zhiyun Crane and the Feiyu Tech MG. Does anyone have any advice?

That's easy - buy the Zhiyun Crane! Several reviewers over at B&H say balancing the stabilizer, even with a GH4 + 12-35mm lens, was tricky. The Zhiyun Crane takes just a few minutes. I would say ease of balancing trumps all the other features of the Feiyu, like the extension handlebars, etc. The Feiyu Tech MG requires the use of a hex key, which harks back to the early days of the Nebula 4000. I have yet to see a review of the Crane where it was difficult to balance, provided the camera/lens combo were under 1200 g. And apparently, it can even handle 1620 g.

14 hours ago, eekamouse said:

On their Facebook page, they say 1200g is the "best" weight but it's max payload is 1800g.    The price has also gone up to $650.

It's worth every penny! They also posted a video with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II/16-35mm F2.8, but unfortunately, I can't watch it.

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

It's worth every penny! They also posted a video with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II/16-35mm F2.8, but unfortunately, I can't watch it.

It would seem to offer the most bang for your buck.   I saw that video with the 5D and it seemed to not have any issue with the heavier payload.   They also had a photo of their dual handle accessory.

I'm curious if there's any way to mount a field monitor (SmallHD 502, BMD VA, etc.) to the stabilizer. Obviously you wouldn't want it on the camera itself but is there any way to mount it somehwere on the grip (without going for magic clamp, etc.). My impression was the only possibility with the Crane is to mount it somehow via the tripod mount on the bottom?

Seen a bunch of vids and it seems to currently be one of the best choices for a A6300/A7 setup.

22 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I'm curious if there's any way to mount a field monitor (SmallHD 502, BMD VA, etc.) to the stabilizer. Obviously you wouldn't want it on the camera itself but is there any way to mount it somehwere on the grip (without going for magic clamp, etc.). My impression was the only possibility with the Crane is to mount it somehow via the tripod mount on the bottom?

Seen a bunch of vids and it seems to currently be one of the best choices for a A6300/A7 setup.

I am liking the apparent ease of swinging this thing from low to high; a monitor attached to the handle might cause problems.

16 minutes ago, BasiliskFilm said:

I am liking the apparent ease of swinging this thing from low to high; a monitor attached to the handle might cause problems.

That's true, but how do you frame from the camera monitor with the motor directly in front of it?