1DX ii rated at 13.5 stops

Jimmy

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-1D-X-Mark-II

That's a pretty good sensor improvement... I know some Sony/Nikon guys will have a little chuckle, but regardless, 13.5 stops is a beautiful range to work with and Canon tend to have a nice DR range across the ISOs.

Let's hope Canon release a 1DC ii that can record the full tonal range, or that the 5D iv has a similar sensor and gets a little ML lovin! Imagine that sensor with raw video.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

or that the 5D iv has a similar sensor and gets a little ML lovin! Imagine that sensor with raw video.

and thats why there should be interest in doing that, and why we should continue to foster this discussion: because it would be SOooooo great

im currently shopping for a used 5d3 for stills and ml raw video. if that camera shot raw in 4k, with more dynamic range, and maybe a bit of a smoother highlight rolloff, id be good on cameras that i need to own vs rent for a looong time

"The Canon performs exceptionally well. Not only does it have a wider useful dynamic range at base and low ISOs than the Nikon, it’s not far behind the Sony, and that small difference won’t be noticed in use. The Canon sensor continues to offer a wide dynamic range at every ISO setting, improving on the Sony from ISO800 onwards, and falling only slightly behind the Nikon’s strong performance from ISO6400 onwards. Indeed, the difference at most is around +0.6EV. Canon cameras are known for high ISO noise performance, and the Mark II surpasses both the Nikon and Sony by nearly +0.5EV"

46 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The GH4 also rated for 13 stops at DXOMark, so it's hardly earth-shattering especially considering you will barely see more than 10 stops in 4K video on the 1D X II due to it having no LOG profile

I addressed both those points in the original post. I'm talking about the sensor's potential, not the current video output.

It might not be earth shattering (what is after 13 stops?).... But Canon now check every box... Great colour, great DR, great ISO (Great colour and DR at high ISOs too). Now we just need a 1DC II or 5D iv ML to unlock it for video.

yea... and the Nikon D5 has 12.3 DR (On DXO).... Both the D5 and 1DX ii would absolute kill the D7200 in IQ though.

Seriously, if you don't think 13.5 stops DR is great, you are in the wrong game. 

What are you shooting that requires that 0.5 stops extra? Unless you are shooting the midday sun from inside a cave, then 13.5 is 100% great.

6 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

the more mpx, the more the DR. 

hmmm. ok.

7 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

APSC Nikon D7200 has 1 full stop more of DR. I would not call that great, sorry.

Go shoot low or high ISO with that camera and see if you think the DR is great.

You need to look at the "Screen" tab on DXO measurements, which gives 12.8 stops at lowest ISO.

13.5 is derived after downsampling full 20MP raw still to 8MP using DXO's proprietary algorithm, usually with downscaling, you gain 0.5 stop/3dB of DR in shadow region every time you half the amount of total pixels.

Other manufacturers have had higher DR than Canon for many years already, but it seems like Canon is catching up. This seems like good news for anyone using Canon cameras - as soon as they add this to other cameras down the line.

The sensor for 1DX II has around 2/3-1 EV steps better DR at each ISO, compared to 5dmk3. Click Measurements and Dynamic Range:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon--EOS-1D-X-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III___1071_795

19 minutes ago, dahlfors said:

This seems like good news for anyone using Canon cameras

Exactly..... it doesn't matter if it is better than X brand's sensor or worse than Y brand's sensor.

It is just better than Canon's other sensors by a measurable amount. Which is good news.

Really I could care less about the numbers. My 1DX Mkii blows my Sony A7Rii out of the water... period. In every respect it's in another league. Anyone that doubts this just needs to do a back to back test of both cameras. And if you haven't done a side by side comparison, don't bother chiming in,  you simply cannot appreciate the difference until you see them both head to head. 

5 hours ago, DBounce said:

Really I could care less about the numbers. My 1DX Mkii blows my Sony A7Rii out of the water... period. In every respect it's in another league. Anyone that doubts this just needs to do a back to back test of both cameras. And if you haven't done a side by side comparison, don't bother chiming in,  you simply cannot appreciate the difference until you see them both head to head. 

please share some images then. 

5 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

please share some images then. 

I already did. Go to the link below. What I can't recall is if I mentioned in that thread how much more robust the Canon files are. I had much more room to grade with the Canon, whereas the Sony files just turned to mush. Granted I have seen cameras that were even more flexible when grading, but not with the feature-set and iso performance that the Canon offers. All around the Canon is well balanced and never feels anything less than Pro.

Even in stills mode the Canon looked better at high ISOs. When noise was present, it looked organic, while the Sony image was covered in the usual green pink multicolored speckles that ruin shots. 

The only edge I give the Sony was pure resolution. And in good lighting the Sony can deliver great stills. Comparing the video quality is pointless. The Sony always looks video, no matter lighting, camera motion, audio... there's just no getting away from it. Where the Canon can look very cinematic, with pleasing motion cadence and great colors. Different leagues. The Canon may cost double, but even then, it punches way above its weight class.

I've finally stopped looking for cameras. I now have a tool I can work with.  I've turned my attention to the craft and creating the look. Ordered gels, canned haze, and some soft boxes. Recently got a jib, and I'm loving that thing... Although I need practice. The 1DX MkII is squared away. No more blaming the camera. Now I have to bring my A-game to deliver the results. 

12 hours ago, DBounce said:

I already did. Go to the link below. What I can't recall is if I mentioned in that thread how much more robust the Canon files are. I had much more room to grade with the Canon, whereas the Sony files just turned to mush. Granted I have seen cameras that were even more flexible when grading, but not with the feature-set and iso performance that the Canon offers. All around the Canon is well balanced and never feels anything less than Pro.

Even in stills mode the Canon looked better at high ISOs. When noise was present, it looked organic, while the Sony image was covered in the usual green pink multicolored speckles that ruin shots. 

The only edge I give the Sony was pure resolution. And in good lighting the Sony can deliver great stills. Comparing the video quality is pointless. The Sony always looks video, no matter lighting, camera motion, audio... there's just no getting away from it. Where the Canon can look very cinematic, with pleasing motion cadence and great colors. Different leagues. The Canon may cost double, but even then, it punches way above its weight class.

I've finally stopped looking for cameras. I now have a tool I can work with.  I've turned my attention to the craft and creating the look. Ordered gels, canned haze, and some soft boxes. Recently got a jib, and I'm loving that thing... Although I need practice. The 1DX MkII is squared away. No more blaming the camera. Now I have to bring my A-game to deliver the results. 

Thats a good plan. It's good to be at peace with your choice. I like to get camera obsessed every once in a while and then choose my tool and stick with it. The 1DXII is fantastic looking.